Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DL, tell me about life in Chicago

I will be living there for a year for work. I'm in the Near North/Gold Coast area. I've liked it the handful of times I've visited, but those were only a day here and a few days there.

And I love winter, so that aspect of life won't be an issue.

So, what is life in Chicago like?

by Anonymousreply 174October 14, 2024 10:55 PM

I did ten years. It's underated.

by Anonymousreply 1July 27, 2024 11:55 AM

In what ways, r1?

by Anonymousreply 2July 27, 2024 12:00 PM

I grew up there and visit family about once every few months. First, live by an El stop. You will thank me for this advice in February. Run or walk on the lake front in the mornings as the sun is coming up. Explore the neighborhoods. My favorite is the Southport corridor near Addison but there are so many great ones: Wicker Park, Ukrainian Village, Hyde Park, Lincoln Park, Andersonville, Boys Town, Pilsen. Wow, now I miss Chicago!

by Anonymousreply 3July 27, 2024 12:27 PM

The traffic gridlock is terrible, both on the freeways and on the city.

by Anonymousreply 4July 27, 2024 12:39 PM

every man looks like jeremy allen white and only wears white tight t-shirts

by Anonymousreply 5July 27, 2024 12:44 PM

It is on a downward trajectory. The Magnificent Mile has a 30% vacancy rate.

by Anonymousreply 6July 27, 2024 12:46 PM

Agreed. I lived near Water Tower in the aughts and was really sad to see how it's gone down, especially since COVID.

by Anonymousreply 7July 27, 2024 12:53 PM

[quote]I did ten years. It's underated.

What we expect from a thread about Chicago.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 8July 27, 2024 1:46 PM

R5 is another "I do English for me, not for anyone else" cunt.

Oh, dear x 4

by Anonymousreply 9July 27, 2024 1:47 PM

Not to frighten you, but people are frequently targeted/robbed in the Gold Coast area and downtown, in general. Keep your wits about you. I was mugged near Michigan & Randolph in front of the Aon Center.

by Anonymousreply 10July 27, 2024 2:02 PM

It’s like a box of Frango Mints.

by Anonymousreply 11July 27, 2024 2:13 PM

That's not Gold Coast. That's The Loop.

by Anonymousreply 12July 27, 2024 2:13 PM

TBF he did say Gold Coast and Downtown

by Anonymousreply 13July 27, 2024 2:16 PM

Chicago is great. Just choose a great neighborhood to live in and you'll be fine. I know you said you're fine with winters but the bigger problem for me is that Chicago is just completely grey during that time of year. A year or two ago, we beat Seattle for most consecutive cloudy days. And I agree with the poster who said to live next to an El stop.

by Anonymousreply 14July 27, 2024 2:21 PM

Never called it downtown. To me, going north to south, it's Gold Coast, then Streeterville, then the Loop once you cross the river.

by Anonymousreply 15July 27, 2024 2:22 PM

As a Chicagoan, I will say that I do think Chicago lacks diversity in comparison to cities like Toronto, NYC, DC metro, Bay Area, LA , etc. It's diverse, don't get me wrong, but not as diverse as those cities. And I do think NYC men are hotter and better dressed. But Chicagoans have less of a stick up their ass.

by Anonymousreply 16July 27, 2024 2:27 PM

I won't be driving, r4, so there's that.

by Anonymousreply 17July 27, 2024 3:23 PM

I lived there for 9 years. The queens there are very provincial - most of them come from just over the Indiana state line but consider themselves worldly. I always found hookups unnecessarily complicated. A lot of psychos.

Hopefully it’s changed.

by Anonymousreply 18July 27, 2024 4:09 PM

It can be very dangerous in pockets and in some big areas therefore/because it's very segregated. Sometimes the weather really, really sucks. Politically, it's rotten to the core. The lake looks nice, but it sucks to go near it and I pined for the ocean. There's not a whole lot in the way of places to go through the weekend. Orient for a day. You're in the Midwest and if you drive for four hours you're still in the Midwest. That shit is flat.

It's culturally amazing for American city second only to New York. It can be really beautiful to look at. It does attract a lot of people from the surrounding Midwest, because it doesn't really have any competition. I think most people are parochial everywhere you go. I didn't realize that a lot of people there are a few generations off the farm or from the South. They are more polite and more welcoming and more optimistic than any place on either coast.

I really miss ALL the food and the opera and the blues scene and all the museums and the architecture.

by Anonymousreply 19July 27, 2024 4:41 PM

The winters are difficult (less so with climate change I hear) but that's the time of year for art lovers - the world class Chicago Symphony, the Lyric Opera, every major dance company comes thru town and several are based in Chicago, and a lot of theater of every type from Shakespeare to Mamet.

by Anonymousreply 20July 27, 2024 4:50 PM

One word: STEAMWORKS!

by Anonymousreply 21July 27, 2024 4:50 PM

How to not get mugged in any major city: Put you phone away and keep it there. With nobody carrying cash anymore, it’s the only thing they’re after. It’s called “Apple picking”.

There are some incredible neighborhoods in Chicago. Most are safe. I’ve moved in Wrigleyville, when it was cool and semi-affordable, wouldn’t go back. Lincoln Square/North center is amazing but now overrun with strollers. Andersonville used to be lesbian central, but the gals now call it MANdesreonville.

by Anonymousreply 22July 27, 2024 5:11 PM

How about Gold Coast, r22?

by Anonymousreply 23July 27, 2024 5:12 PM

R23. Depends on your budget. You can have a fabulous apartment with full amenities and a killer view for about 1/4 what you would pay in Manhattan. But you will probably never socialize with your neighbors. The only nearby nightlife is the worst breeder meat markets you can imagine. But close to a thriving restaurant and gallery scene in “River West”.

by Anonymousreply 24July 27, 2024 5:18 PM

Very good Gold Coast address 3 br 2.5 ba 2500 sq ft 6k/mo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 27, 2024 5:28 PM

Any good Indian restaurants downtown?

by Anonymousreply 26July 28, 2024 3:32 PM

I would say State Street is a great street. They do things they don’t do on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 27July 28, 2024 5:10 PM

[quote]Put you phone away and keep it there. With nobody carrying cash anymore, it’s the only thing they’re after. It’s called “Apple picking”.

iPhones with a passocde/Face ID are virtually impossible to break for the average criminal. Even law enforcement has difficulty doing it. What are they doing with them?

by Anonymousreply 28July 28, 2024 5:17 PM

R26, tbh, Chicago Indian food is dissapointing. I'm a brown person who lives very close to Devon. The best Indian restaurants are in the burbs, not the city. Actually, Wicker Park has some very good ones too.

by Anonymousreply 29July 28, 2024 5:29 PM

Thanks r29!

by Anonymousreply 30July 28, 2024 6:38 PM

R30, no problem. The two Indian restaurants in the burbs that I really enjoyed are Mantra near O'Hare, Priya's Kitchen in Westmont and A2B in Warrenville. In Wicker Park, I remember Cumin being excellent, especially the biriyani. But I think that may be Nepalese.

by Anonymousreply 31July 28, 2024 6:53 PM

My bad, that's three restaurants in the burbs.

by Anonymousreply 32July 28, 2024 6:53 PM

I always enjoyed India House on W Grand, r26. It'll scratch that itch. What I miss about Chicago is the diversity of ethnic cuisines. There's not just good Mexican restaurants, there's fine dining, Oaxacan, street food, coastal/seafood Mexican, etc. I miss that in the small college town that I now live in.

by Anonymousreply 33July 28, 2024 8:38 PM

R33, you are right, India House is good. Gaylord (yes, that's the real name) used to be much better 10 years ago but it's gone way downhill.

by Anonymousreply 34July 28, 2024 9:08 PM

In Chicago, all seem to breathe freedom and peace, and to make one forget the world and its sad turmoils.

by Anonymousreply 35July 28, 2024 9:35 PM

How old are you, OP? Are you single? I want to weigh in on gay nightlife but would love that info so I can advise accordingly.

by Anonymousreply 36July 28, 2024 10:05 PM

I am 40 and single, r36, but I left my party days behind me a decade ago. I'm at the point in my life where I figure, if I meet someone, I meet someone, but if not, that's okay too.

by Anonymousreply 37July 28, 2024 10:08 PM

R37- I recommend going to Sunday Showtunes at Sidetrack. It’s a fun, friendly atmosphere and you won’t feel self-conscious as you can just enjoy the videos playing. You’re young(ish) and single- get out there. Age appropriate crowd too. All ages really. Have fun!

by Anonymousreply 38July 29, 2024 1:16 AM

I answered my own question because I was genuinely curious.

See below for podcast that addresses iPhone theft (and I assume Android).

The phones are indeed bricks, but organized gangs will ship the phones to other countries, and try to use various methods to try to get you to give up your iCloud credentials (texts, calls, e-mails).

Of course, not everyone uses a passcode, so you are SOL in a case like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 29, 2024 1:21 AM

OP, come to Wednesday night karaoke at Jackhammer. Myself and some other confirmed DL'ers are there most weeks (all about your age). We just need one more member to form a minyan!

by Anonymousreply 40July 29, 2024 1:25 AM

You're going to want to learn to toddle, OP.

by Anonymousreply 41July 29, 2024 1:29 AM

Chicago is fabulous! I put my girls through college and paid for a country home!

by Anonymousreply 42July 29, 2024 1:46 AM

Loved my 12 years in Chicago. Lived in the Gold Coast and Andersonville. Definitely loved Andersonville. Had a killer condo there. Knew lots of nice guys. Strong community vibe. I wouldn't bother looking at places in any other neighborhood as a single 40 year old gay man. You will be a fresh face and have a ball.

by Anonymousreply 43July 29, 2024 1:53 AM

Thank you, r38, r40, and r43!

by Anonymousreply 44July 29, 2024 8:04 AM

R41 Just because the whole town does it doesn't mean that you have to also.

by Anonymousreply 45July 29, 2024 1:11 PM

OP, where are you moving from?

by Anonymousreply 46July 29, 2024 1:11 PM

OP, I moved from Chicago a few years ago.

It's not terrible in Near North/Gold Coast but it's really not a super neighborhood-y type of place. You may have a very lovely apartment but it can be a very sterile place where people come and go. It's probably the NYC equivalent of living near/in Times Square. And it is near some of the more robbery prone places - the red line el stop near State (I think it's Chicago, near a McDonald's) is a notorious place to be attacked and Michigan Avenue has had a number of thefts.

Not sure if you need to be near downtown for work but I might have tried for an apartment in the West Loop, which has some neighborhood feel to it. If you could live anywhere in the city, I'd want to be in Ravenswood/Andersonville, as you'd be closest to a gay scene that had other men over 35 - Boystown is really for a younger party crowd.

Chicago can be a hard but not impossible city to date in. There's a bit of a distance bias.....I've had guys tell me I lived too many el stops away or too far for them to come and see me (I was 15-20 minutes away)....queens can be lazy about hooking up, LOL! My bf ignored that rule when we got together, so it's not impossible.

I miss the culture there, for sure. Concerts every night of the week. Free classical music recitals in several spots downtown. I have to say I left before COVID and know the city restaurant scene was hit hard, but.....you could go to a new restaurant every night and not run out of places for, well, forever.

The negatives of downtown: the density, the thieves, and the helicopters that will incessantly fly overhead at all hours of the day and night - traffic and police.

There's a lot to explore, though.

by Anonymousreply 47July 29, 2024 1:26 PM

Thank you, r47! Thant was super helpful.

r46 I am originally a Midwesterner, but I've spent the last decade in New England, and I was in LA for the past year. (I like Boston/New England, but am not a big fan of LA.)

by Anonymousreply 48July 29, 2024 1:40 PM

R46- if you liked Boston, you will really like Chicago. Similar vibes to the neighborhoods and a bonus is the men in Chicago won’t have that Masshole aloofness so prevalent in Boston which is a well earned stereotype in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 49July 29, 2024 2:56 PM

I agree with R47 that the Near North and Gold Coast area can be a bit soul-less but I wouldn't suggest the West Loop as an alternative. The WL is new construction and converted warehouses - all pretty sterile - inhabited mostly by single straight yuppies. (Coffee bar! Pool table! Hot tub! Sun deck!) Great area for trendy restaurants and bars which appeal to that crowd, but not much in terms of a "neighborhood" feel. The areas north of Near North / Gold Coast along Lake Shore Drive, particularly Lincoln Park and Lakeview, have a more homey, neighborhood feel while still being minutes away from the Mag Mile and the Loop.

by Anonymousreply 50July 29, 2024 3:25 PM

R50 I don't disagree with you at all, but I made that suggestion with the idea that OP has to be in/near the loop (which may or may not be the case).

The Gold Coast/Near North, West Loop and South Loop are the three closest neighborhoods and they're probably all very similar and sterile, but the WL would be the most neighborhood-ish of those three.

Of course Lincoln Park, etc. all are much nicer and have a much warmer feel to them, but they're also farther out. Once you go north of North Avenue or farther than 12-16 blocks south or west you're starting to talk about a 30-45 minute commute.

by Anonymousreply 51July 29, 2024 4:22 PM

R51, I live in Lakeview and take the LSD express bus from Roscoe / LSD to Mag Mile. It's 12-14 minutes and runs every few minutes during morning and evening rush hours. Less often during regular hours.

by Anonymousreply 52July 29, 2024 5:17 PM

Evanston is lovely and has really inexpensive real estate.

by Anonymousreply 53July 30, 2024 4:48 AM

I'm a fan of live blues.

Can anyone recommend good clubs?

by Anonymousreply 54July 30, 2024 9:51 AM

This is the connoisseur's favourite, r54.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 30, 2024 10:11 AM

R54.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 30, 2024 12:43 PM

Thank you r55 and r56!

by Anonymousreply 57August 4, 2024 9:53 AM

Telling people that I'm moving to Chicago is a great political litmus test. The two replies I tend to receive:

"Chicago, what a great city! Be sure to check out the Art Institiute/the Field/Botanic Garden."

"Chicago, omg!!!j! You're going to get SHOT EVERY DAY."

by Anonymousreply 58September 2, 2024 6:49 PM

It's a great city and four people were just shot to death on a CTA train to the suburbs.

Both statements can be true at the same time.

Try Ukrainian Village. It's beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 59September 2, 2024 7:45 PM

I wonder where OP moved? I hope he didn't move to West Loop. West Loop is fiun, it's like visiting Brooklyn, when you live in Manhattan. The public transit is more annoying than usual for Chicago and it's just sort of disconnected from the other happening places. The gay people I know that live there LOVE the area, because it's really nice, but hate being so far from everything else. OP, if you want to take part in the gay scene I wouldn't do West Loop because you will doom yourself to countless nights taking overpriced Ubers to and from Lakeview. Not the end of the world, but nothing beats having the option to walk home (mile plus away), take a car, or easy public transit options. West Loop is anything but easy to reach.

Op, move to Lincoln Park or Lake View for your first year, then explore what works from there. As a gay man, you won't regret being in those locations year one.

by Anonymousreply 60September 2, 2024 8:25 PM

Gold Coast, r60

by Anonymousreply 61September 2, 2024 8:39 PM

Respect r61. I was down there with a hookup Saturday morning. Was gorgeous out and I love the energy in Gold Cost, during the day. At night, eh.

by Anonymousreply 62September 2, 2024 8:45 PM

R60, the biggest nuisance for west loop is that it's off the green line, not the red line.

by Anonymousreply 63September 2, 2024 9:11 PM

Was born in Chicago and returned for a couple of years after grad school.

Coldest winters and hottest summers I ever suffered through.

Nothing, NOTHING made it endurable.

by Anonymousreply 64September 2, 2024 9:16 PM

MARY r64

by Anonymousreply 65September 2, 2024 9:17 PM

r64 = Paul Butterfield

by Anonymousreply 66September 2, 2024 9:18 PM

I grew up in Oak Park and went to college in Evanston. Both on El lines, both have affordable housing. O is faster trip to the Loop, but, while there are plenty of gay folk in OP, I don’t think there is gay nightlife without a car. Evanston is more accessible by El to North side gay life. I always found both pretty safe and interesting on their own terms.

by Anonymousreply 67September 2, 2024 9:21 PM

[quote] The gay people I know that live there LOVE the area, because it's really nice, but hate being so far from everything else.

I agree with this excellent writer. You should live closer to the nice things and not by the other things, or something.

by Anonymousreply 68September 2, 2024 9:57 PM

R67- how old are you? I grew up in Oak Park as well. I feel lucky to have grown up there. It’s progressive as far as suburbs go.

by Anonymousreply 69September 2, 2024 10:18 PM

Oak Park is extremely progressive. Many gay people live there. It's a great streetcar suburb and it continues to get "cooler" with each passing year.

by Anonymousreply 70September 2, 2024 10:43 PM

r63 which means a transfer at the Loop. Either your gonna have to pay to go from above ground to underground for the Red Line, or you have to wait for the Brown line, which will take longer getting north (depending you your destination). West Loop is a chore to reach if using the CTA compared to other parts of town. I'd also add Logan Square to that equation.

by Anonymousreply 71September 3, 2024 5:40 AM

It has been said Oak Park is so liberal, that they exit on the left. And it’s true, the exit ramps on I-290 are positioned to have you get off from the median.

by Anonymousreply 72September 3, 2024 9:50 AM

R72, now that's funny. And it really is liberal. The Oak Park neighborhood association--I think that's what it's called, I could be wrong--actively tries to promote diversity. And it shows. Oak Park is one of the few truly integrated areas in the Chicago area.

by Anonymousreply 73September 3, 2024 2:55 PM

Every North Side neighborhood that is within two-three miles of the lake is integrated. Only a third of the city is white.

by Anonymousreply 74September 3, 2024 7:16 PM

Chicago winters and summers are far more mild, except for maybe four days each season. A tip of the hat to climate change, Here's Google AI:

"Climate change is affecting Chicago's weather in several ways, including:

Rising temperatures: Chicago's average temperature has increased by 2.6°F since 1980. By 2050, Chicago could experience an average of 38 days per year with temperatures over 92.7°F.

More extreme heat waves: Climate change is increasing the frequency and intensity of heat waves.

Heavier rainstorms: Chicago could experience more damaging rainstorms.

Growing flood risks: Chicago could experience greater flood risks.

Warmer winters: Chicago's winters have warmed by 0.55°F per decade since 1980. "

by Anonymousreply 75September 3, 2024 7:21 PM

r75 I know I love it. Another example of global warming being an issue for the poors in the world. We are sitting pretty up here in Chicago. Just need to watch out for them tornados.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76September 3, 2024 11:54 PM

Chicago is one of the American locations most susceptible to wet bulb if temperatures keep increasing. Leading to more heat exhaustion and heat stroke.

by Anonymousreply 77September 4, 2024 12:22 AM

R69 I was born there in 1957 and lived there until I started college in 1975; I went to Northwestern in Evanston. Went back summers until my folks retired to Glen Ellyn around 1970 or 81. Moved to teaching job in central Illinois and then out of state since. Went back for a year , 2003-04, for a sabbatical leave, when I did more graduate work. Growing up always lived west of East Avenue, first in South Oak Park Avenue. Sabbatical year lived two blocks from Austin stop on the Blue Kine ;the Arts District). Would move back in a heartbeat, but am planted in smalltown upstate Collegetown in NYS because of my husband’s health.

by Anonymousreply 78September 4, 2024 12:51 AM

Again, only an issue if you are homeless. Rest of us have AC and a roof over our heads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79September 4, 2024 12:52 AM

R78- thanks for answering! I was born there in 1976. We were two ships :)

by Anonymousreply 80September 4, 2024 10:11 PM

Cicero is near Oak Park and is very corrupt. It’s about 90% Hispanic and the rest are old white republicans who have or had connections with the city. The type of place you go to awful schools but with the right family, you can get a do nothing job at one of the 3 park districts.

by Anonymousreply 81September 4, 2024 11:34 PM

Cicero is not to be considered. Maybe Berwyn, but even then .,,

by Anonymousreply 82September 5, 2024 12:37 AM

Everything I know about Chicago I learned from ER

by Anonymousreply 83October 7, 2024 12:28 AM

I found it exponentially easier to get on a Green Line el to go home to the West Loop than a Brown Line one, which was always full as a sardine can before I could even get on board, so I don't see it as a "chore."

I loved living in Andersonville but neither the Brown nor Red Lines were very convenient, and you could get pregnant, gestate a baby and squat and shit it out in the time the 22 takes to go the whole way from Andersonville to downtown.....because it stops at EVERY. SINGLE. FUCKING. STREET. on the way down.

by Anonymousreply 84October 7, 2024 12:39 AM

CHEF!! YES, CHEF!!!

by Anonymousreply 85October 7, 2024 12:41 AM

I don't know how accurate The Bear is, but I wasn't far from all the Restaurant Row places in the 00s and 10s. There was a nice stretch of time where Randolph really was a place where fantastic new restaurants opened that were inventive, but that was pretty much done by around 2014, when all the corporate places moved in, and all the quirky places opened in Wicker Park and Humboldt Park instead.

by Anonymousreply 86October 7, 2024 3:34 AM

Chicago is underrated as it as become such a meme about crime. But it's great city, I think it is clearly America's second best urban area after NY. And so much more affordable compared to NYC, SF, Boston, LA.

by Anonymousreply 87October 7, 2024 3:40 AM

It is very livable.....though some neighborhoods aren't very affordable.

by Anonymousreply 88October 7, 2024 4:16 AM

R86, I think Pilsen and Logan Square have the more interesting restaurants nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 89October 8, 2024 12:33 PM

[quote]My favorite is the Southport corridor near Addison

Are you joking? It's triple-wide stroller land. The women are all vacuous trophy wives in Lululemon tights and every restaurant and store is filled with feral children being encouraged to have "experiences" at the expense of shoppers and sentient adults. It's a weigh station on the road to Naperville where whiteness goes to die.

by Anonymousreply 90October 8, 2024 1:00 PM

R90, not that poster, but I loved Julius Meinl. Sucks that it closed down. Great food, desserts and coffee.

by Anonymousreply 91October 8, 2024 1:09 PM

r90, ooh, my sister lives in downers grove and I LURVE that analogy about Naperville

by Anonymousreply 92October 8, 2024 1:20 PM

What the hell went wrong at Chicago’s Lyric Opera that this season’s opening night is a Patti Lupone concert?

by Anonymousreply 93October 8, 2024 1:26 PM

Southport is absolutely whiteness central.....where all the drunken Cubs game sluts, the ones that flashed their tits and would blow anything that moved, all moved to when they got married to their banking/investment broker husbands. The guys all go to Cubs games and the women shop and drink coffee.

Boystown used to be nice, but it's been taken over by stroller fraus as well, with a dollop of criming trannies (thanks, Center on Halsted!)

by Anonymousreply 94October 8, 2024 1:48 PM

R94, Boystown is still good, you just have to go east of Halsted. But, to be fair, there has been a lot of gentrification and you will find just as many gays now in Uptown, Andersonville, Edgewater, Buena Park and even Roger's Park (not as much as the other neighborhoods listed...but not too far behind).

by Anonymousreply 95October 8, 2024 1:57 PM

Rogers Park Social is a great hang

by Anonymousreply 96October 8, 2024 2:03 PM

Winter in Chicago is down to two weeks in January and a freak third weekend in February. The city has been planting new trees with the prediction that by 2050 we will have the climate of 2000-era Baton Rouge. Thanks Climate Change!

And we have unlimited fresh water and sandy loam for soil.

by Anonymousreply 97October 8, 2024 3:33 PM

Underrated, but also very overrated. If you ask some people you would think it was Atlantis based on how it gets talked about. Don’t believe the hype. It’s a good city, but it isn’t anything special.

by Anonymousreply 98October 8, 2024 3:40 PM

R98, I think it is special but I'm not blind to its flaws at all. It needs to be be more walkable and it's transit is horrendous. Someone was shot on the red line last week! And that's without mentioning the drug use on there plus the crime. Yes, we alll know most of the crime is centered in the south and west sides but that doesn't make it "ok".

by Anonymousreply 99October 8, 2024 3:41 PM

Too many lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 100October 8, 2024 3:42 PM

*its

by Anonymousreply 101October 8, 2024 3:42 PM

Also your race, OP. Believe it or not but it has a large impact on whether you will enjoy this city or not, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 102October 8, 2024 3:49 PM

Chicago? I know a whoopee spot where the gin is cold, but the piano's hot. It's just a noisy hall, where there's a nightly brawl, and all that jazz.

by Anonymousreply 103October 8, 2024 3:52 PM

I think it's great since I'm from there and my family is still there. Great restaurants like, little beef sandwich shops, pizza, and a lot of fine dining. The museums, and The Adler Planetaruim are top notch. I miss it everyday and have thought about going back home in the last 2 years.

by Anonymousreply 104October 8, 2024 3:53 PM

That is not true R74. Even those neighborhoods are still segregated with the more trendier spots being predominantly White.

by Anonymousreply 105October 8, 2024 4:02 PM

R105, as a Chicagoan, I can say you are correct. Chicago is extremely segregated. I always knew that but it became VERY obvious to me when I visited Montreal. It was so much more integrated than Chicago, it's not even a fair comparison.

by Anonymousreply 106October 8, 2024 4:13 PM

Chicago is the most western, I think, of all the very old school northern rust belt cities. Or is it the Twin Cities? Redlining, the locations where industry happened, and a few other factors all led to the massive amounts of segregation.

Milwaukee is worse, I think, but on a way smaller scale.

People that are shocked about shootings in Chicago just don't understand how absolutely devoid of resources places like Englewood and Lawndale are. No jobs, no possibility of new jobs, and the people who couldn't or won't leave are absolutely surviving day to day - and killing each other, fighting over the few crumbs they do get.

The north side is integrated, sure, but with the exception of Rogers Park and Uptown those neighborhoods are all medium to high income spots. And even those two neighborhoods are becoming more and more gentrified, although Uptown still struggles with gangs.

by Anonymousreply 107October 8, 2024 4:28 PM

Chicago really hates its mayor and that includes everyone except his patronage cronies and the DSA. His latest boner is spending 88K on redecorating an office for his wife. Whenever criticized, he screams racism. I don't see Republicans winning anything, but he's got to go.

The principal issue is that the city faces immense debit and he just wants to run up more and, in fact, already has..

by Anonymousreply 108October 11, 2024 9:31 PM

^ Plus his fetish for NASCAR Drag at the taxpayer's expense.

by Anonymousreply 109October 11, 2024 9:34 PM

Why live in the gold coast? It's fine - but touristy, super white, wealthy and straight. Boring - and more expensive than it should be.

by Anonymousreply 110October 11, 2024 9:37 PM

He sucks so much.

by Anonymousreply 111October 11, 2024 9:38 PM

I could never ever do that

by Anonymousreply 112October 11, 2024 9:41 PM

"One word: STEAMWORKS!"

Four words: NACREAOUS LAYER OF PERMACUM!!!!

by Anonymousreply 113October 11, 2024 9:41 PM

Oldtown is much more preferrable to the Gold Coast.

by Anonymousreply 114October 11, 2024 9:46 PM

Wrigleyville is friendly.

Mind you don't slip, though.

by Anonymousreply 115October 11, 2024 9:46 PM

R16 Chicago is less diverse than the Bay Area? I’ve never been to the Bay Area that’s just surprising to hear. Chicago is an absolutely beautiful city. For a big urban landscape it’s just glorious, splendid architecture. It’s a shame about the high murder rate because it is much nicer than NYC. And y’all know how I feel about NYC.

by Anonymousreply 116October 11, 2024 9:55 PM

As of last year, Chicago had the 28th highest murder rate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117October 11, 2024 10:17 PM

I think it's difficult to compare two cities in terms of racial segregation. Only 7% of the Bay Area is black (compared to 28% of Chicago)- and look at a map - the population is heavily concentrated in and around Oakland.

Boston is one of the whitest cities I've ever been to - and the black population is heavily segregated to a few areas on the south side.

For a lot of gays, they are going to stick to the north side of Chicago where the 3 gay communities are (Wrigleyville, Andersonville, Rogers Park), which is predominantly wealthier and white, although by no means exclusively so.

Yes it's a problem, but I think people blow it out of proportion and context to other cities.

NYC is one of the top 10 most segregated cities in the US as well - but you can't tell New Yorkers that.

by Anonymousreply 118October 11, 2024 11:00 PM

NYC is segregated but highly diverse. Same with Chicago. DC actually might be the most racially integrated city in America right now. I think Richmond, a small city, is also mad integrated.

by Anonymousreply 119October 11, 2024 11:04 PM

Cold.

by Anonymousreply 120October 11, 2024 11:07 PM

R116, yes, the Bay Area is far more diverse than Chicago. Only about 18% of the Chicago area is foreign-born. NYC, LA, and the Bay Area all have much larger percentages. I think that's due to Chicago being the midwest/rust belt capital. It just doesn't attract as many foreign born people as those other places.

As a Chicagoan, it's true that NYC has a similar level of housing segregation but different ethnic groups seem to intermingle way more versus Chicago due to NYC being way more global.

by Anonymousreply 121October 12, 2024 12:57 AM

Here's your map. Blacks are heavily concentrated on the south and west sides; whites on the north and northwest side and Hispanics are tucked in between. Rogers Park is 45 percent white, 25 percent Black. The South Loop, a very desirable area, is 16 percent Black, 48 percent white. ,Hyde Park is 45 percent white; 26 percent Black. Austin is considered to be the only neighborhood with an almost even distribution of Blacks and whites. Chicago's whitest neighborhoods are Mount Greenwood, cop heaven, and Lincolm Park.

Segregation is a historical fact. Chicago is still the most segregated city in the country. However, that doesn't mean your workplace won't be diverse. It really depends on your profession. My partner worked for a majority Black nonprofit as a grant writer. I taught at a school where the administration heads were all POC and a third of the students were white. .

I can understand if this is a dealbreaker for you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122October 12, 2024 1:06 AM

R122 - it's not the most segregated city in the country. Jeez - this whole segregation discussion is akin to talking about Most Racist City. There are a lot of different reasons for segregation - not just because of discriminatory policies.

Chicago is a blue city - open to all people of all types. Stop making it out to be this massively racist city because of housing maps - it's not.

by Anonymousreply 123October 12, 2024 1:25 AM

R123, not R122 but Chicago is certainly in the top 10 of most segregated American cities and there is a long history behind that. It's just a fact. That's true for all the rust belt cities. The racism combined with the white flight is what made them so segregated today.

by Anonymousreply 124October 12, 2024 2:38 AM

I didn't make it up. It comes from various sources. Try Chicago Public Radio for starters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125October 12, 2024 4:50 AM

Chicago is nowhere near as bad as Detroit or St. Louis.

by Anonymousreply 126October 12, 2024 5:05 AM

Chicago does feel noticeably less diverse than NYC, SF, LA.

Remember diversity is not just black people. Its how many languages you hear walking around, how many people from different countries and cultures you see. It doesn't feel quite feel as cosmopolitan and global melting pot as they do.

by Anonymousreply 127October 12, 2024 5:42 AM

A city smack in the midwest not cosmpolitan? Quelle surprise.

by Anonymousreply 128October 12, 2024 6:48 AM

Go spend a week in Iowa. You'll be begging for a trip to Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 129October 12, 2024 6:48 AM

Chicago and maybe Austin is the best flyover can do.

by Anonymousreply 130October 12, 2024 7:01 AM

[quote]Its how many languages you hear walking around, how many people from different countries and cultures you see.

Whether it's Michigan Avenue's Mag Mile, Clark Street in Andersonville, Lincoln in Lincoln Square or Devon in Roger's Park, I see and hear plenty of multi-culturalism. I think some of you are conflating Naperville with Chicago.,

by Anonymousreply 131October 12, 2024 11:41 AM

Napertucky!

by Anonymousreply 132October 12, 2024 11:55 AM

R131 - Agreed - I lived in Chicago for 20 years. On my condo floor alone, we had Lithuanian, Japanese, French, Brazilian, and Israeli nationals.

I heard other languages every single day. Within a 1 mile radius from my place, there were probably 40 different ethnic restaurants - Thai, Vietnamese, Eritrean, Cuban, Lebanese, Northern Indian, Japanese, Mexican, Salvadorean, Chinese, Greek, Moroccan, Serbian, - it goes on and on.

I honestly don't know what some of you are talking about. And to say that housing segregation is a modern indicator of racism is bullshit. Yes, some of it is a hangover from redlining and racist policies from 50-70 years ago, but that was the case in most American cities.

Everybody banging on about Chicago's murder rate and housing segregation is just spewing right-wing bullshit points. You're not going to feel like you're in some deep racist city in Chicago - in fact the complete opposite is true.

by Anonymousreply 133October 12, 2024 5:45 PM

All I know of it is that magats constantly bring up Chicago when screeching about liberal cities.

by Anonymousreply 134October 12, 2024 5:55 PM

R134 - and that's because of Obama. They never did it before then - it was always SF.

by Anonymousreply 135October 12, 2024 5:59 PM

r134, it's either them or us

by Anonymousreply 136October 12, 2024 6:14 PM

R133, I do to but you Chicago just does not compare to the coastal cities in that regard. Or Montreal or Toronto (especially the latter).

by Anonymousreply 137October 12, 2024 6:27 PM

Who cares? I hear people speaking Spanish every day on the bus. Love Montreal and all the cities you mentioned but if it's a competition for the most cosmopolitan city rather than the most livable, affordable and easiest go without a car, Chicago will always lose. Now, wear your victory banner proudly.

by Anonymousreply 138October 12, 2024 6:58 PM

R138, that's true. But Chicago is quickly becoming more unnafordable. I was a college student in the 00s. Back then, Chicago was held up positively versus the big coastal cities due to how it was more friendly to buidling housing than those cities. But now, Chicago isn't building a lot. It continues to get more expensive and the idea of it being "affordable" by comparison to it's coastal cities will go away if it doesn't start building housing ASAP.

by Anonymousreply 139October 12, 2024 7:17 PM

r139, you know what you did. Repent!

by Anonymousreply 140October 12, 2024 7:24 PM

Reading comprehension r131 and r133.

Did I say Chicago isn't diverse? Obviously compared to some random places is it is more cosmopolitan, but compared to peer metros like NY, LA and SF it is noticeably less so. Which if you look up the numbers that it is just a fact.

by Anonymousreply 141October 12, 2024 9:55 PM

R141, as a Chicagoan, I can say you are correct. Chicago even feels "midwestern" versus the more globally oriented East and West Coast cities.

by Anonymousreply 142October 12, 2024 10:19 PM

Too bad we don't have mimes in striped jerseys doing Marcel Marceau's "trapped in a box" routine on every corner. You have to go to the University of Chicago to see men in berets and they're physicists. And the women have cankles and wear Eddie Bauer in the winter. And men of a certain age from the Southwest side say youse rather than you. And many folks are overweight although many are gym rats.

These are things that visitors might readily notice but we residents don't give a fuck about. We go home to our spacious, affordable abodes, call some neighbors or friends and kick back in the yard or terrace with a few beers. Note: yard or terrace, not metal fire escapes we decorate with plants and pretend are balconies.

It's not for everybody but neither is New York.

by Anonymousreply 143October 13, 2024 1:24 AM

Hog Butcher for the World,

Tool Maker, Stacker of Wheat,

Player with Railroads and the Nation's Freight Handler;

Stormy, husky, brawling,

City of the Big Shoulders

by Anonymousreply 144October 13, 2024 1:29 AM

City of bad mayors and good hot dogs.

by Anonymousreply 145October 13, 2024 1:35 AM

R143 is a perfect example of the defensive, parochial, provincial bullshit that comes from Chicagoland's permanent inferiority complex. You don't even have to bring it up. They usually trigger themselves.

by Anonymousreply 146October 13, 2024 4:53 AM

Apparently Little Village is on the cusp of gentrification.

by Anonymousreply 147October 13, 2024 5:07 AM

Inferiority complex when I lived and worked in NYC and half my family is from there.? Good try. I have no problem admitting some of Chicago is parochial and some buy into the Second City bullshit and feel they should be living elsewhere. They usually leave, which is fine. People should act on their dreams. The plain meaning of what I wrote is that almost no one gives a fuck that Chicago isn't as cosmopolitan as lovely Montreal or as much of a gateway to the Southern hemisphere as Miami. These places undoubtedly have their charms. So does Chicago and a lot --such as kicking back with brewskis on one's spacious patio--may not be observable to tourists.

Find someone else to insult and fight with. Chicagoans are happy people.

by Anonymousreply 148October 13, 2024 10:03 AM

So you're both odd and a cliche at the same time. Got it.

by Anonymousreply 149October 13, 2024 12:45 PM

But happy and in no need of insulting strangers. And you;re not.

by Anonymousreply 150October 13, 2024 3:21 PM

R141 - I lived in NYC for 10 years - so you can cut the crap. Yes - NYC has a lot of diversity and you come in contact with it more often due to density, walking culture and subways. But don't act like the city isn't also segregated into racial neighborhoods - including Asian, Latino and Black.

I'm just saying that holding up neighborhood segregation as some glorified proof of racial equality is bullshit. You're looking at an entire city. Tell me what the demographics of Chelsea, UWS, WeHo, Santa Monica and other places are.

Yes, I will admit - there are lot of young white people who move to Chicago from surrounding states. You can't run from that - it's just the truth. But that doesn't mean Chicago isn't multi-cultural or has a lot of offerings that go along with that.

by Anonymousreply 151October 13, 2024 4:44 PM

It's gone downhill becaue Daley let them privatize parking, first lots and then meters, allowing them to quadruple prices and making Chicago uncompetitive with its suburbs. Mag Mile survived awhile on the tourist trade, but that's not enough to keep it at its former level. Daley was a closeted Republican who threw a 60th birthday bash for GW Bush and roomed with fascist heir Bautista in college at Brown. He should never have been put in charge of Chicago. He had no feel for what was reasonable, unlike his dad.

by Anonymousreply 152October 13, 2024 4:48 PM

And his brotther was an investment banker who made all these stupid privatization deals like the SKyway.

by Anonymousreply 153October 13, 2024 4:49 PM

The Daleys also bungled the FLorida recount for Gore. That's why Bush was so keen on them: he owed them.

by Anonymousreply 154October 13, 2024 4:49 PM

Mayor Daley also bulldozed an airport runway overnight because he didn’t want it there anymore.

by Anonymousreply 155October 13, 2024 5:04 PM

QAnd I think we can say they deliberately bungled it. Like some secret society of spoiled rich kids.

by Anonymousreply 156October 13, 2024 5:04 PM

The reason NYC appears less segregated than Chicago is because a lot of different races tend to share spaces, that and the segregation isn't really as bad as it is in Chicago. I mean sure, you have your ethnic enclaves as with every city but in nyc it's more of a patchworks of some sort. And you'll see all kinds of people(Black White Asian Hispanic in places like Central Park). Whereas in Chicago you have entire swathes living on one side of the city separated from others. Its alot harder to share living spaces when the people around you in a 2 mile radius all looks the same. The only time you will see people mix is usually downtown where everyone goes to hang out or work, or the very few neighborhoods that can be considered ethnically diverse. R118

by Anonymousreply 157October 13, 2024 6:40 PM

I don't know R151, Chelsea and Hell's Kitchen demographics are looking a lot more Diverse than Chicago's Gayborhoods are based on a quick Google search. UWS reminds me very much of Lincoln Park in Chicago.

With that being said, Chicago has a TON of underbelly racism from my experience growing up there. It's not the hatred you see down South but more of a fake, performative tolerance. And, a lot of that I feel stems from the city being so racially segregated. Sure, you have a few truly diverse neighborhoods but that is not the norm for the people living in that city. This type of isolation can foster stereotypes and lead to some racist attitudes between the people. I mean, just look at Chicago's city politics and you can already tell that's the case, besides the few true progressives that live in the city. Everyone is looking out for their own piece of the pie BECAUSE it's so segregated lol.

And R133, I don't think talking about Chicago's segregation problem is a right wing talking point . It's just a fact LOL.

by Anonymousreply 158October 13, 2024 7:09 PM

R158, that racism you are talking about is all over the rust belt. However, I think the fact that Chicago attracts people from all over (by comparison to the rest of the rust belt) lessens this.

by Anonymousreply 159October 13, 2024 8:02 PM

If you think Chicago has a racist underbelly, try Houston and Dallas.

by Anonymousreply 160October 13, 2024 8:02 PM

20% of Chicago is Mexican. Lots of great reasonably priced food

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161October 13, 2024 8:09 PM

Chicago does have a lot of great Mexican food everywhere. Some of the burbs--especially Melrose Park--do as well.

by Anonymousreply 162October 13, 2024 8:12 PM

And you can go next door over to to Stone Park where there are bars which advertise “fashion shows” and plenty of fleabag motels.

by Anonymousreply 163October 13, 2024 9:45 PM

Eh, considering the fact that if you’re Black in Chicago you’re pretty much looked at as a second class citizen, I’ll take my chances in Dallas or Houston R160. I hear Houston is becoming very diverse and integrated. So there’s that.

by Anonymousreply 164October 13, 2024 10:08 PM

Sorry, we're on our fourth Black mayor.

by Anonymousreply 165October 13, 2024 11:15 PM

It’s interesting how just like any place people always know the transplant/touristy areas. For the pearl clutchers, there are tranquil and downright dark parts of the city with quiet, safe streets that that large unique homes on large yards. Think the northwest side like Old Edison Park, Norwood Park or Edgebrook. Or down in Beverly. The latter has some issues but these are neighborhoods outsiders hardly even conceive of.

by Anonymousreply 166October 13, 2024 11:37 PM

By dark, I mean it gets dark at night. Fewer street lights it’s like the suburbs.

by Anonymousreply 167October 13, 2024 11:38 PM

Edison Park has a wiki. Cool area, on a map the streets look like a star.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168October 13, 2024 11:41 PM

R164 has never been to Houston or Dallas and yet somehow thinks it's this magic racial utopia? It's fucking TEXAS. C'mon now.

by Anonymousreply 169October 14, 2024 12:24 AM

Ah, I wasn't aware collecting Black mayors alleviated all the racial issues. My apologies R165. Where do most of the Black people live again?

by Anonymousreply 170October 14, 2024 1:33 AM

You left out Sauganash R166, the nicest one of all.

by Anonymousreply 171October 14, 2024 2:25 AM

Northern cities like Chicago and Milwaukee appear segregated compared to southern cities where a slave/servant class typically lived in close proximity to the whites for service purposes, because they came north for industrial employment and were confined to certain districts, or sometimes even chose them. But they still offered more opportunity that southern cities and have proved better at providing leaders.

by Anonymousreply 172October 14, 2024 3:05 AM

R171 A lady never tells. But yeah even I forgot it and I have family in that area.

by Anonymousreply 173October 14, 2024 4:24 AM

I read that a Chicago couple on Tiktok goes on an annual search for the best crab rangoons. I am so embarrassed for my city. And doubly so because the Tribune wrote about it without sneering.

by Anonymousreply 174October 14, 2024 10:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!