Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Diana Ross, 80, looks slim and glamorous during rare outing in Beverly Hills

The Boss is still stunning at 80!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126October 13, 2024 10:31 PM

Miss Ross is obsessed with those damn Ugg boots. Seriously, every time I see a photo of her out and about, she’s got em on. They’ve got to be the most comfortable things ever.

by Anonymousreply 1August 26, 2024 4:08 AM

She was considered an ugly woman who couldn’t sing by those of her generations and peers. Tracy got them ugly poppy eyes from her. Diana was a mean girl who destroyed so many womens careers. Her punishment is being a bloated reclusive drunk with a bunch of ugly grandkids.

by Anonymousreply 2August 26, 2024 4:18 AM

r2 when are you going to OD?

by Anonymousreply 3August 26, 2024 4:21 AM

...reach out

by Anonymousreply 4August 26, 2024 4:22 AM

R2 = Mary Wilson

by Anonymousreply 5August 26, 2024 4:22 AM

I guess no one does fact-checking any more. The article linked called her a 'Grammy winning artist' when, in fact, she has never won a competitive Grammy in 60 years. She was given a lifetime achievement award in 2012, but has never won a Grammy.

by Anonymousreply 6August 26, 2024 4:24 AM

I always said Diana looked like a beetle stuck on top of a toothpick growing up. My mom loved The Supremes and would give me an earful but that was my truth at ten years old.

by Anonymousreply 7August 26, 2024 4:25 AM

Carrying a Bristol Farms bag like the Poors!

Next thing you know she'll be meeting Brendad Ickson at Gelson's to steal potato salad!

by Anonymousreply 8August 26, 2024 4:25 AM

That wig is impressive.

I watched Ross perform for Q E 11’s jubilee 3 or 4 years ago.

It was an out door concert and her wig was so perfect.

by Anonymousreply 9August 26, 2024 4:33 AM

Dianasaurus Rexx looking like a bag lady. The woman was always a miserable, self-centered, narcissistic, controlling, manipulative, spotlight hogging, opportunistic pesticide. Flo and Mary deserved better.

by Anonymousreply 10August 26, 2024 4:34 AM

R10 Diana was definitely NOT a girl's girl - she was an OG mean girl back in the day. Diana stole husbands, group members, wigs and spotlights. I still luv ha.

by Anonymousreply 11August 26, 2024 4:35 AM

For all her many documented faults over the years, she does seem to be a much-loved mother.

by Anonymousreply 12August 26, 2024 4:53 AM

Diana definitely used what she had to get what she wanted. If you're a woman in the business, you do what you must, to survive and thrive. Do I agree with her choices, NO. She may be a big ol ho but she's a legend.

by Anonymousreply 13August 26, 2024 4:53 AM

The last of The Primettes.

by Anonymousreply 14August 26, 2024 5:10 AM

She’s not exactly a recluse, she tours pretty regularly.

by Anonymousreply 15August 26, 2024 5:11 AM

R11 Diana was a Diana girl.

by Anonymousreply 16August 26, 2024 5:13 AM

Oh hell no. Messy ass, defamatory ass, flagrant ass thread. Only flowers for my elegant queen. She is looking so good at 80.

by Anonymousreply 17August 26, 2024 5:22 AM

All of this reminds me of Patti LaBelle saying she wanted to pimp slap Diana.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 26, 2024 5:25 AM

R6 She racked up plenty of DUIs though.

by Anonymousreply 19August 26, 2024 5:29 AM

I saw her a few years ago in a small venue. She was wonderful. Of all the concerts. I've been to in my life, and I've seen many, I would rank that one as one of the best. She had a really great connection with the audience.

by Anonymousreply 20August 26, 2024 5:36 AM

I think it was Aretha Franklin who mentioned in her book that, although she didn’t know Diana very well, she was aware of Diana’s tough upbringing in the projects. Apparently, Diana and her sisters didn’t take any shit from anyone and were always ready to throw hands.

Aretha also recalled that, on the few occasions she was around Diana, she found her to be sweet and pleasant.

Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

by Anonymousreply 21August 26, 2024 5:44 AM

She looks good! Surprised she does her own grocery shopping!

by Anonymousreply 22August 26, 2024 5:45 AM

Diana always seemed truly dedicated to raising her children, and we rarely, if ever, hear of any scandals involving them.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: Diana, Patti, Gladys, Dionne, Cher, Barbra among others have managed to survive and thrive for decades in a male-dominated, cutthroat industry. Perfect? Not by a long shot. But they’re still here. For that alone they deserve a standing ovation.

by Anonymousreply 23August 26, 2024 6:00 AM

Diane was too damn old to play Dorothy in the Wiz. That role should have gone to Stephanie Mills.

A 33-year-old playing a 25-year-old, when the role was originally meant for a teenager.

by Anonymousreply 24August 26, 2024 6:08 AM

Only 80?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 26, 2024 6:34 AM

[quote] The Boss is still stunning at 80!!

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 26August 26, 2024 6:41 AM

One of Diana Ross' all-time best..."The Boss"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 26, 2024 7:26 AM

Diane's wig has gone gray...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 26, 2024 7:39 AM

She might have had a bit of a reputation, but all is forgiven when I watch Mahogany. I live for her in that white fur at the end. My mother, on the other hand, never did get over how she treated Flo Ballard. You’d swear that Ms. Ross had done something personal to my mom the way she would carry on about it.

by Anonymousreply 29August 26, 2024 7:49 AM

R12 Diana's kids are aggressively media-trained, especially Tracee. So we'll never get the real tea.

by Anonymousreply 30August 26, 2024 8:05 AM

Fun song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 26, 2024 8:07 AM

Please note she is not wearing a stitch of makeup . We should all look that good at 80. My sisters swear by UGGS

by Anonymousreply 32August 26, 2024 10:46 AM

R10, R29 Florence Ballard and Mary Wilson would’ve never left the Brewster projects were it not for Diane Ross. She had the drive and ambition and they were lucky enough to come along for the ride.

by Anonymousreply 33August 26, 2024 11:33 AM

Oh, Diane.

It's a shame her fine bone structure had to be protected by so much insulation for so long.

Better to be careful, I suppose. After all, she's never kept herself up and hasn't exercised since that work-out disco shit song.

by Anonymousreply 34August 26, 2024 12:40 PM

R30, maybe. But they all seem to really love her.

by Anonymousreply 35August 26, 2024 12:56 PM

An acquaintance years ago was her chauffeur. He said she was a very down to earth mom.

by Anonymousreply 36August 26, 2024 1:00 PM

I believe every negative thing said about Diana and she's STILL the best pop music Diva, evah.

Even negative stuff redounds to her credit.

Ross caused, imho, the best epic rumble ever here at the DL.

Dlers squared off in a thread where you took sides on whether that restaurant (iirc Da Silvano?) was right or wrong on not seating her until her entire party was present, even though she threw a fit at staff, who refused to give-in to her.

L. E. G. E.N. D.

by Anonymousreply 37August 26, 2024 1:11 PM

I'm always amazed when I read a DL headline like "Diana Ross, 80, looks slim and glamorous during rare outing in Beverly Hills" then click on the article and see a picture of an old woman. Slim? I guess. Glamorous? Why? Because she's wearing a black top, pants, and Uggs, and carrying a plastic bag?

by Anonymousreply 38August 26, 2024 1:23 PM

Fuck right off R38 she looks fantastic for 80 years old. What did your mother or grandmother look like at 80?

How old are you, what do you look like? Post a pic I dare you.

by Anonymousreply 39August 26, 2024 2:14 PM

[quote]Diane was too damn old to play Dorothy in the Wiz. That role should have gone to Stephanie Mills.

Stephanie Mills, God bless her, was a midget and uglier than a dog's ass. She wasn't going to be cast as the lead in any movie, ever.

by Anonymousreply 40August 26, 2024 2:18 PM

[quote]Diana's kids are aggressively media-trained

Wish I'd thought of that.

by Anonymousreply 41August 26, 2024 2:24 PM

R39 Aren't you overreacting a wee bit?

by Anonymousreply 42August 26, 2024 2:28 PM

[quote]She racked up plenty of DUIs though.

How many is plenty ? Do tell, since you seem to have access to them.

The only DUI I recall that made it to the press was the one in the early 2000s, shortly after her second husband filed for divorce because he had a young mistress on the side.

by Anonymousreply 43August 26, 2024 2:34 PM

[quote] Only flowers for my elegant queen

She looks like a broom that's got only worn, splintered bristles. Nothing "elegant" about this old ho.

by Anonymousreply 44August 26, 2024 2:37 PM

As a wise prophet once said.....

Diana Ross earned a whole career and legacy by saying just four words....

"It's so big, Berry!"

by Anonymousreply 45August 26, 2024 2:39 PM

I remember about ten years go (maybe longer?) she did an interview on "Inside the Actors Studio" (I miss that show). Her brief movie career was reviewed, her Oscar nomination highlighted, and then the discussion turned to the movies she was offered in the late 70s and beyond, and the fact that she turned them down, and put her movie career aside. Host James Lipton asked 'why' ?

Ross explained that she made those three movies in the 70s when her daughters were young and not even in school yet - so she could travel to locations and have them with her for weeks / months. As they got older, and were established in their schools in the 80s, she didn't want to leave them behind for weeks or months. She wanted to be the mom who was waiting for them at the bus stop, the mom who cooked dinner at night and made lunches in the morning. (Same thing in the 90s when her two sons - born in 1987 and 1988) were in school. She put her acting career aside.

She further explained she was able to record music when her kids were little (the family was living in Greenwich, CT) because she wasn't far away from the Manhattan recording studios. And she was able to tour in concert every year because she scheduled her tours in the summer months when her kids were on school vacation - this allowed her kids to travel with her 'and see the world' as she said. During the school year, she kept her concerts more 'local' (CT, MA, RI, NY, NJ, PA) where she was a short ride or plane ride away from home. Overall, she made a lot of sense on how she managed her time and scheduling raising 5 children born from 1971 - 1988. And they all grew up into beautiful children, with children of their own.

She also pointed out she really didn't enjoy acting as much as touring. Performing live, she felt the energy from the audience and every concert was 'new' even if the songs were repeated. She preferred this over being 'on a closed set' all day, and only getting a few scenes worth keeping.

by Anonymousreply 46August 26, 2024 3:00 PM

Diana has always had a very sweet, mellow voice and a considerably wide range, not to mention that her technique is very good. People think that she couldn't sing because she's always made it look so easy, but she is a talented vocalist who worked hard at developing her instrument. Florence Ballard had a heavier, sturdier voice and a lower tessitura, whereas Mary Wilson had the deepest voice out of the three, but also the widest range and most versatility.

The fact that Miss Ross is a devious, narcissistic, arrogant cunt has caused many people to dislike her and spread the rumor that she was the least capable of The Supremes, but this isn't true at all - the three of them were very evenly matched in terms of talent and moreover, they were surrounded by many other vocalists who were just as good, or in some cases much better than they were themselves (Gladys Knight, Patti LaBelle, Aretha Franklin, Martha and the Vandellas, Tammi Terrell, The 3 Degrees, among many others). It's obvious that Diana did what she had to do in order to stand out and, while she went about it in a particularly vicious way, we can't really blame her for wanting to become a legend. Moreover, it's not as if many of her peers had been left behind while she shone like no other. Some where, but many others became superstars and a few are even more prestigious than Diana herself ever became (Franklin, LaBelle and Knight come to mind).

With that said, I am definitely NOT a fan, as I find her material to be mostly boring filler and some of her hits defy all logic (Muscles? Work That Body? The impossibly inane Love Hangover? Come on!), but she's done a few interesting things in her career - in the 80s, she even dabbled in hard rock and performed amazingly well. As for her current look, all I can say is that she could make an effort to look a bit more glamorous, but maybe she's beyond caring at this point in time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 26, 2024 3:36 PM

Love Hangover is fantastic and captures a certain sleazy disco vibe while still being all Diana.

But otherwise R47 I agree, most of her solo hits are tedious and tepid, especially the 80s and beyond.

by Anonymousreply 48August 26, 2024 3:43 PM

She's aged much better than Dionne in every way--looks, voice, mobility.

by Anonymousreply 49August 26, 2024 3:53 PM

Do you think it's racist to compare her to the other old, BLACK singer? Why not how she has aged vs Streisand, for ex.?

by Anonymousreply 50August 26, 2024 4:03 PM

R47 She went with the trends in her solo music career - sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

From 1970 - 75, Gordy tried her in different genres - pop, R&B, even country ("Last Time I Saw Him" album) with varying degrees of success. In 1976, with Donna Summer entering the game as 'Queen of Disco' with her massive hit 'Love to Love You Baby', Gordy pushed for her to take the title away with "Love Hangover". But Summer was the better singer, and more adventurous ('I Feel Love', 'With Your Love', Last Dance'). Still, he pushed her into the disco game ('The Boss', 'Upside Down', 'I'm Comin' Out') and ignored her R&B past (Motown barely promoted her 1977 album 'Baby It's Me').

She continued her 'trendy music' when she struck out on her own in 1981, going after Olivia Newton John's new 'pop / sexy' image with her own 'Muscles' and 'Work That Body' (but ONJ owned that genre with 'Physical'). She was lost for a while, dabbling again with light rock (1983's "Ross") , pop / R&B ("Swept Away"; "Red Hot Rhythm and Blues") and later Bee Gees pop ("Eaten Alive") which had its sunset days in 1982 (producing Dionne Warwick's "Heartbreaker"). Ross drifted in trends and didn't know where to anchor herself. She closed out the decade aping Janet Jackson (of all people) and moving into 'New Jack Swing' with 1989's mistake "Workin' Overtime").

by Anonymousreply 51August 26, 2024 4:07 PM

First of all, "Love Hangover" is THE funky jam.

Too bad that Motown barely promoted "Baby It's Me". What a great album. Sadly it was under appreciated. "You're Love Is So Good For Me" should have been bigger. I don't think many remember or even know the song. It's so playfully funky and has been wonderfully remastered. Still play it all the time.

I remember reading a piece with James Brown in Interview around that time (late 70's) in which he praised Diana Ross and said it was one of his dreams to produce an album for her. Thought she was a major and unique talent who was not being successfully produced and not properly representing herself. Wish that dream could have materialized. I agree with [ R 51 ] that she drifted and might have better anchored herself. Still, I'll take what she gave us. First saw her in concert with The Supremes when I was 14 in 1967 and saw her in a small venue last year. Still terrific with a strong connection to the audience. Her Radio City concert in the '70's was quite the highlight.

by Anonymousreply 52August 26, 2024 10:15 PM

WTF happened to her career after the early 80s? She was HUGE and then she never had another hit.

by Anonymousreply 53August 26, 2024 10:20 PM

Aretha always gave Diana props. She went to Diana's Kennedy Center honors and was in the audience for many for Diana's Detroit shows. Along with Chaka, the only two women whom Aretha never had anything bad to say.

[quote]Some where, but many others became superstars and a few are even more prestigious than Diana herself ever became (Franklin, LaBelle and Knight come to mind).

Neither Patti or Gladys have half the catalogue that Diana and Aretha have. Patti has a handful of well known songs, and all of Knights classics are with the Pips.

Gladys always liked to say that Motown and Diana were responsible for ruining her career, but it's never made any sense. The Pips had HUGE success and were household names in the early and mid 70's. Buddha (their label after leaving Motown) begged Gladys to break away from the group and become a solo at the height of their success but she refused. They finally got her to release a solo album in 78, but it was R and B in an era of disco and it tanked. Her loyalty to the group was admirable, but it seemed that's what cost her more fame than anything Motown or Diana did.

by Anonymousreply 54August 26, 2024 10:44 PM

Remember just type capital R then the number. No spaces, no brackets, just R and the number, all together, and watch the magic happen.

by Anonymousreply 55August 26, 2024 10:55 PM

[Quote] Her punishment is being a bloated reclusive drunk with a bunch of ugly grandkids.

Daaammmn

by Anonymousreply 56August 26, 2024 11:37 PM

[Quote] suppose. After all, she's never kept herself up and hasn't exercised since that work-out disco shit song

Hilarious

by Anonymousreply 57August 26, 2024 11:42 PM

She looked ugly in the Wiz

by Anonymousreply 58August 26, 2024 11:45 PM

[quote] Her punishment is being a bloated reclusive drunk with a bunch of ugly grandkids.

Here’s Diana and her family, including her grandchildren. They look happy and a cute bunch. Candidly, she looks great, especially for 80.

I don’t think she’s a recluse. She tours regularly in the US and Europe, I believe.

At least tell the truth.

by Anonymousreply 59August 26, 2024 11:45 PM

I saw her at Aldi. She didn’t have a quarter to release a grocery cart so I gave her one.

by Anonymousreply 60August 26, 2024 11:47 PM

R59 here. The photo link didn’t load.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 26, 2024 11:49 PM

[Quote] Stephanie Mills, God bless her, was a midget and uglier than a dog's ass.

LMAO!!

by Anonymousreply 62August 26, 2024 11:52 PM

[quote] She looked ugly in the Wiz

I get it R58. You’ve posted 5 negative messages about Diana in this thread. You don’t like her.

by Anonymousreply 63August 26, 2024 11:53 PM

I know that the Chic album was huge for her, and maybe it's because I adore Ashford and Simpson, but "No One Gets the Prize" is a fucking banger and needs more respect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64August 26, 2024 11:58 PM

Ioh stfu and laugh. I’m a fan of Stephanie Mills but thought that midget- ugly dog’s ass comment was hilarious

by Anonymousreply 65August 26, 2024 11:59 PM

She has a beautiful voice, an intoxicating combination of sugary sweetness, sensuality and majesty. There have been few other voices like it in 60 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66August 27, 2024 12:01 AM

[quote] I know that the Chic album was huge for her, and maybe it's because I adore Ashford and Simpson, but "No One Gets the Prize" is a fucking banger and needs more respect.

"The Boss" and "diana" are the best solo albums of her career!

by Anonymousreply 67August 27, 2024 12:04 AM

Diana and Nile Rodgers hated each other. She didn't like the production of the finished Diana album and made Rodgers re-produce the whole record. He was furious, but he did it.

by Anonymousreply 68August 27, 2024 12:05 AM

I hate stans like r66

He’s just like a doll you pull a string on his back and he spouts Diana Ross idol-worship adulations. It’s a totally mindless reflex for a gay stan.

by Anonymousreply 69August 27, 2024 12:07 AM

R68 then they teamed up again 9 years later for Workin’ Overtime cause they couldn’t stand each other?? lol

by Anonymousreply 70August 27, 2024 12:09 AM

R68 Lies.

She went to the legendary NY radio DJ Frankie Crocker to play the Diana album (Upside Down) to get his opinion. He told her not to release it because it would ruin her career. She went back to Motown where it was decided to remix the album with their in-house engineer. Nile was pissed for a minute, but he realized the original product was too rough and unpolished for an established act like Diana Ross.

They worked together again on Workin Overtime and Nile's We Are Family 9/11 tribute. He was also the bandleader for her Divas Live show.

by Anonymousreply 71August 27, 2024 12:10 AM

[quote] Diana and Nile Rodgers hated each other. She didn't like the production of the finished Diana album and made Rodgers re-produce the whole record. He was furious, but he did it.

She remixed it herself with engineer Russ Terrana. The original Chic production was released several years ago and basically confirmed her commercial instincts were unerring. She improved "Upside Down" and "I'm Coming Out" and made them much more radio friendly. The Chic originals certainly had great moments.

by Anonymousreply 72August 27, 2024 12:11 AM

[quote] I hate stans like [R66]

We hate you too, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 73August 27, 2024 12:13 AM

Uuh-uhhh, honey!?!!!!

by Anonymousreply 74August 27, 2024 12:14 AM

A stopping with a wig

by Anonymousreply 75August 27, 2024 12:14 AM

If this face had been on a 40 foot screen, The Wiz would've been a horror movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76August 27, 2024 12:19 AM

R52 Motown barely promoted the wonderful "Baby, It's Me" album because they were focused on 'The Wiz' at the time, released a year later. It's been said Gordy took the money for P&M on "Baby, It's Me" and set it aside for P&M on "The Wiz" - that's how much he believed in the success of both the movie and the soundtrack album. He pumped a lot of money into that project, and (unfortunately) it was a complete failure, though no one has ever blamed Ross for it - all the critics commended her 'honest' performance and singing; it was the producer's choice to 'over-produce' the project, which sent the budget soaring, and it never recouped.

R54 Aretha had nothing but kind words to say about Donna Summer, also. She was very sentimental when Summer died in 2012.

R72 When she signed with RCA in 1981, and they gave her 'complete control' of her artistry (something Motown wouldn't do), they did that because she talked a good game. She promised them that she was brining over Nile Rogers to produce her first album for RCA, and promised it would outsell 1980's "diana". Well, Rogers was interested in working with her at RCA, but since Ross was the executive producer of all her work, she controlled the finances of the project. She didn't have enough money behind the project to afford him - so he left. Ross produced 'Why Do Fools' all by herself and it was a success, but RCA was not happy it was not the album she promised them. She got off on the wrong foot with them - and her tenure at RCA paid for that mis-step.

by Anonymousreply 77August 27, 2024 12:33 AM

The Wiz reminds me of taking a piss

by Anonymousreply 78August 27, 2024 12:37 AM

R69 you are so invested here with 9 pretty negative comments in this thread l, and then get angry at someone who offers a positive view. What is your damage; you seem invested in Diana’s career and her as a person? Let us know.

by Anonymousreply 79August 27, 2024 12:47 AM

It was Quincy Jones whom Diana asked to produce her first solo album. Nile was considered, but Quincy was approached.

Jones was wrapping up Patti Austin's latest album and was available if Diana could wait a month or two. But she was under contract to get her first album out by the 1981 holiday season, so she wound up producing it herself.

The album went platinum and gave her two hit singles.

RCA had a bad habit of paying through the nose to get artists and then not having enough money to properly promote their projects. Plus they went through a management change in the mid 80's, and the new President wanted nothing to do with the older veteran acts. Kenny, Dolly and Diana all wound up leaving the label around the same time.

by Anonymousreply 80August 27, 2024 12:53 AM

Hey you peons, it MISS Ross.

by Anonymousreply 81August 27, 2024 12:56 AM

R77: I was playing that first RCA LP this past weekend, my copy is original vinyl, and while it went platinum and had some very good songs it was a precursor to her misdirected 7 year run on RCA. Actually, I think probably her best album ever is her 1983 RCA LP “Ross” produced by Gary Katz. She should’ve worked with him a LOT more. He created a perfect sound for her.

by Anonymousreply 82August 27, 2024 12:56 AM

R82 ugh! Her Ross album is 100% crap. Pieces of Ice? More like pieces of shit!

by Anonymousreply 83August 27, 2024 1:25 AM

R79 it’s marginally fun to watch an uptight stan get riled.

by Anonymousreply 84August 27, 2024 1:29 AM

Diana Ross, 800, looks grim

by Anonymousreply 85August 27, 2024 1:48 AM

She's wearing a sloppy dress

Oh, no matter how she tries

She always looks a mess

by Anonymousreply 86August 27, 2024 1:49 AM

Not sure where the "Quincy Jones" rumor came from, but he was never asked to produce Ross' album in 1981. She signed with Motown at the end of May, 1981 and promised RCA to deliver an album within months for the Christmas season.

By that time, David Geffen had shelved Donna Summer's sophomore album for his label (Moroder and Bellotte 's "I'm A Rainbow" which was supposed to be released in June, 1981) and had already hired Quincy to produce the replacement album with a more R&B sound to it ("Donna Summer"). QJ put Geffen on hold to finish a project he was working on, but promised he'd start working on it by the end of the year with a 1982 delivery. Sure enough, he started gathering music and hired a plethora of 16 songwriters in late summer, and got Summer in the recording studio in January, 1982 when she was pregnant to her third daughter. (Summer said she had difficulty recording the album, and it took six months to finish due to her pregnancy). It was finally released on July 19, 1982 - just weeks before she gave birth to daughter Amanda.

Back to Ross - as I said before, she had convinced RCA she would have Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards produce her first RCA album, and promised it would outsell her 4X platinum 'diana' album. They took the bait and gave her complete production control. She also promised to get the album out for the Christmas season. I stand corrected - they dropped out because of a full schedule (they were beginning production on Debbie Harry's solo album 'KooKoo' and was slated to produce Johnny Mathis' next album after that). Ross produced her own album, it was a success, but RCA was not happy she couldn't deliver on her promises. The only promise she delivered on was that it would be ready for the Christmas season (it was released on September 14, 1981). It was certified Platinum, but didn't beat 'diana'.

For her second album - 'Silk Electric' - she again asked Nile Rogers to produce the album. He agreed - but this is when she didn't budget correctly, and wasn't able to afford him. She produced all the tracks on the album, except "Muscles" which was written and produced by Michael Jackson (and was the first single). To keep the album within budget, she used leftover tracks from the 'Fools' recording sessions which didn't make it the final cut of that album. ('So Close', 'I Am Me', 'Still In Love' were the tracks). The album was certified Gold.

by Anonymousreply 87August 27, 2024 2:21 AM

Picture it it's 1992 I'm at the Ritz-Carlton in Sarasota Florida leaving a hookup at 8:00 a.m. . I get in the elevator somewhat worse for the wear and head downstairs. The door opens on the next floor and in walks Ms. Diana Ross and Ms Tracy Ellis Ross. The elder Ms Ross said good morning ! I was dumbstruck and could not believe it! I think I was able to eek out a good morning. I know I must have stood there with my mouth open and a look about me of surprise. I was stunned she acknowledged me. One thing , she is very petite in person. Huge rock on her finger had to be a diamond.

by Anonymousreply 88August 27, 2024 2:34 AM

The Quincy Jones story has been mentioned in several Diana books and it’s even in the liner notes of the official RCA greatest hits collection that was released by the label in the late 90s.

by Anonymousreply 89August 27, 2024 2:36 AM

I thought Mirror Mirror should’ve been the first single from the Fools album. It was a great track and would’ve been a perfect follow up to the uptempo hits from Diana.

She was wonderful in the tv movie “out of the darkness” and was one of the most realistic portrayal of mental illness I’ve seen.

Speaking of Stephanie Mills, she lost the film version of the wiz to Ross, but she snatched the Grammy away from Ross in 1981 with “never knew love like this before” beat out Ross “upside down” for best female R&B vocal. It was probably the closest she got to winning a competitive Grammy.

by Anonymousreply 90August 27, 2024 3:14 AM

36 years ago today, at the age of 44, Ross gave birth to her fifth child - Evan Ross. In a few days, he will be celebrating his tenth anniversary with wife Ashlee Simpson (August 30).

by Anonymousreply 91August 27, 2024 3:40 AM

[quote] The Quincy Jones story has been mentioned in several Diana books and it’s even in the liner notes of the official RCA greatest hits collection that was released by the label in the late 90s.

Not sure about the Diana books, but one thing I know - don't trust the liner notes on the album "Greatest Hits: The RCA Years". The liner notes credit Cindy Birdsong as the writer of the song 'I Am Me' (from 'Silk Electric') when the writers were Ross and Janie Bradford. Whoever wrote the liner notes didn't do their research.

Anyhow, here's what was said about WDFFIL by EBONY back then (September 1981):

" According to engineer Larry Alexander, Diana’s decision to self-produce came after her previous collaborators, Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards, told her they were too busy to immediately return to the studio."

And here's what Diana herself told SOUL TRAIN about returning as a producer on 'Silk Electric' in January, 1982:

"The experience of producing was really a good one for me, I learned an awful lot this time. I’d like to do it again, but…I would like to continue to use my other producers, like Chic.”

by Anonymousreply 92August 27, 2024 9:54 PM

If I were in BH and ran into The Boss, I would GAG, do you hear me!!! She's so beautiful and still doing Boss thangs.

by Anonymousreply 93August 28, 2024 8:33 PM

So, I’m at Tartine in LA, and who strolls in but Mizz Ross, decked out in oversized sunglasses and that ginormous fro. She glances at the pastry case and goes, “Is this the best you’ve got?” The poor guy behind the counter nearly faints as she demands something “fresher.” They track down a special pastry just for her, as she’s tapping her manicured nails on the counter. She takes one tiny bite, gives a nod of approval like she’s royalty, and then struts out while her assistant pays. Total diva move - so fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 94August 28, 2024 9:36 PM

Drunk

by Anonymousreply 95August 29, 2024 8:58 AM

R2 Diana Ross was not considered ugly form here generation. I do know that.

by Anonymousreply 96August 29, 2024 10:42 AM

From her*

by Anonymousreply 97August 29, 2024 10:42 AM

[quote] Slim and glamorous? She looks like she's just be let out of the drunk tank in the NYC jail.

by Anonymousreply 98August 29, 2024 10:58 AM

And Flo? She don’t know.

by Anonymousreply 99August 29, 2024 11:55 AM

Muscles was such a weird offering, written and produced by Michael Jackson. I remember thinking at the time he was using Ross as a proxy but if that were true it would’ve been “I want little muscles”.

by Anonymousreply 100August 29, 2024 12:04 PM

What was so strange back then was that it was obvious MJ wrote the song about his dream guy, but pretended it was about his pet snake. And the press went with it and defended it.

The guy outs himself as gay, and makes it clear he likes muscular guys - and the press believes his real meaning is he likes his snake ? Seriously ?

by Anonymousreply 101August 29, 2024 12:08 PM

And don’t forget he released a single called In The Closet.

by Anonymousreply 102August 29, 2024 12:48 PM

[quote]The guy outs himself as gay, and makes it clear he likes muscular guys

He liked little boys. The household staff said that little boys were the only overnight guests in his bedroom. They never saw him with an adult man or adult woman.

by Anonymousreply 103August 29, 2024 2:01 PM

R101 I’ve watched video of expert facial/social analysts who have examined and looked at other pedophiles/criminals in interviews. They have stated that when MJ speaks on this subject matter he doesn’t display any signs of deception, especially when outright asked if there was sexual misconduct with the boys he allowed to sleep in his bed. While other child molesters show facial characteristics and voice changes indicating deception and fraud, MJ didn’t. He really just was weird. And most of the boys, except the ones from grifter families, state MJ never touched them.

by Anonymousreply 104August 29, 2024 2:18 PM

She goes to that Bristol Farms a lot. Her family is in LA, she works like a demon and still has time to yell at sales clerks. She probably loves life in LaLaLand.

by Anonymousreply 105August 29, 2024 5:03 PM

r104 also believes that OJ Simpson wasn't a double murderer and that Cleopatra was a black woman.

Stupid ass.

by Anonymousreply 106August 29, 2024 8:34 PM

Diana could rock a lot of looks but she didn’t make a great blonde. She and Liz Taylor had this in common.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107August 29, 2024 8:51 PM

R106 Try not to speculate on my beliefs. What does black even mean during the first century. Cleopatra wasn’t West African, and she wasn’t a WASP. She was Egyptian.

by Anonymousreply 108August 29, 2024 9:21 PM

Cleopatra was Macedonian Greek.

by Anonymousreply 109August 29, 2024 9:22 PM

She looks very good for her age. Her wig is a little askew, riding a little too high on her forehead. Other than that and the slight curvature of an aging posture, which happens to a lot of women as they age, she looks very good. Black didn't crack.

by Anonymousreply 110August 29, 2024 9:26 PM

Both Wade Robson and Safechuch are both notorious liars. They claim they were molested between 1988-1992 in areas of Neverland ranch that weren’t built until the mid 90s. 😂 liars. Places they couldn’t mistake, even as children, like the train station. The train station wasn’t built until 1996. Sad when the checks stop coming in. One must use reason. At one point they stated they were never molested. And then change their stories upon his death.

by Anonymousreply 111August 29, 2024 9:27 PM

Ugh can we banish the MJ apologist R111 🤢🤮

by Anonymousreply 112August 29, 2024 9:32 PM

r111 there's not cure for willful ignorance.

Michael Jackson was criminally insane. He was absolutely a child molester.

by Anonymousreply 113August 29, 2024 11:14 PM

Fools was a great debut at RCA, but I think Silk Electric is where her career started to hit the skids in the US. Despite Muscles being a huge hit and the album being certified gold, but the follow up barely cracked the top 40. She was smart to have Richard Perry remix So Close . Her self-production on this album is honestly terrible. She sounds as if she's singing though a tin can.

I second that Ross from 1983 is very underrated, but a poor lead single choice with Pieces of Ice along with the hype surrounding her huge concert in Central Park overshadowed the album. There are supposedly several outtakes from it which have yet to be released. Diana owns her RCA material and apparently refuses to open the vaults. On the Motown Forum, they've talked about a tribute album to Harold Arlen which was recorded in 1986 and a concert from Radio City in 1984 being among her unreleased RCA material.

by Anonymousreply 114August 29, 2024 11:40 PM

I've heard about the Arlen album, but not the Radio City concert. I think the Arlen album would have been a hit, and gotten more favorable reviews than what she delivered in 1985 ("Eaten Alive" by the Gibbs). Nostalgia albums by artists her age were huge hits (Linda Ronstadt, Barbra Streisand, Carly Simon - for starters) at the time.

by Anonymousreply 115August 29, 2024 11:50 PM

She stopped making movies because of the disaster that was THE WIZ. She ruined the movie and Hollywood was reluctant to make films with predominantly black casts after the movie tanked. She was completely wrong for the role. They changed it for her and she fucked it up. I don’t believe that bullshit about her wanting to be a stay at home mom for her kids. I call shenanigans.

by Anonymousreply 116August 30, 2024 1:00 AM

She's a very good actress, it's too bad she didn't get more opportunities.

by Anonymousreply 117August 30, 2024 1:07 AM

I think she’s overrated as an actress. She has the big-screen face, attitude and expressions to bring a really high-emotion scene or image home, but I think that’s always had to do more with her natural instinctive actions and reactions, and not with plying and practicing her craft—unless you count how much of all that she portrays whole passionately delivering her music on stage.

by Anonymousreply 118August 30, 2024 1:46 AM

[quote]and not with plying and practicing her craft

Thank you, Miss Rashad. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 119August 30, 2024 1:49 AM

R116 Albeit she did do a tv movie with Brandy in the late 90s that was huge ratings hit.

by Anonymousreply 120August 30, 2024 1:49 AM

Imagine being so fucking dumb that you think Michael Jackson wasn't a pedophile. The freak admitted in a TV interview that he shared his bed with little boys, whilst holding a little boys hand.

He showed them horror films at bedtime, left porn casually around the bedroom, gave them alcohol, shared a jacuzzi with them, bought them gifts and spent almost every waking hour with them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121August 30, 2024 6:04 AM

A good documentary on the Pedo freak

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122August 30, 2024 6:06 AM

I've said this before but imagine if a 40 year-old man lived on your street and he invited all the little boys in the neighborhood over to his house for sleepovers, The parents of those boys would be calling the cops in two seconds. That would be extremely abnormal behavior that would raise alarm bells with everybody. Michael Jackson was no different in his behaviors, he was a classic groomer and child molester.

by Anonymousreply 123August 30, 2024 1:33 PM

Quincy did a good job with the music in The Wiz though.

by Anonymousreply 124August 30, 2024 1:35 PM

Those hands though. Kudos to her for whatever her regime is. Didn’t Madge start wearing gloves at 40?

by Anonymousreply 125August 30, 2024 2:26 PM

"Surrender' is one of her best songs and should've been a huge hit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126October 13, 2024 10:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!