Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mark Cuban wants to buy Twitter from Elon Musk

Dear God. Why?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 12, 2024 4:00 AM

Please!

Also, he is the guy who can actually make it profitable.

by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2024 11:17 PM

I don't know....maybe because he can't take on the cheap. And get it out of the hands of fascist enabling douchebag?

by Anonymousreply 2September 16, 2024 11:18 PM

Make that...get it for cheap

by Anonymousreply 3September 16, 2024 11:19 PM

Please, God.

by Anonymousreply 4September 16, 2024 11:24 PM

Twitter has been profitable (on and off) for a few years.

I don't think it will ever be profitable under Musk's ownership. It isn't necessarily his leadership (or lack thereof). Just too many advertisers are (rightfully so) scared off by his unprofessional behavior, and how it directly reflects on Twitter.

No one is going to stop buying Tyson chicken because their CFO is an alcoholic and got a DUI.

Companies will not advertise with Twitter because of Musk though.

Cuban could buy it for cheap, and probably get it to be marginally profitable. Musk would take a huge loss on it, but he has so much money. I doubt he would care.

Being a CEO/owner of a social media platform brings LOTS of attention, and Musk does not need or want that attention IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 5September 16, 2024 11:45 PM

^^^ Tesla stockholders would heartily endorse this move.

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2024 11:47 PM

Please. Leon bought it to be his own personal hug box. He's as big of an attention whore as Laura Loomer

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2024 11:47 PM

^^^ She would gladly add her cervix to support his creepy child breeding obsession.

by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2024 11:50 PM

He also wants to buy Fox News

by Anonymousreply 9September 16, 2024 11:54 PM

When you use carets ^^^ to respond no one understands what you are responding to because your response could come after other respones.

by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2024 11:55 PM

^^^ Are used to refer to the post above.

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2024 12:01 AM

He needs to buy my hole instead.

by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2024 12:06 AM

[quote]He also wants to buy Fox News

I never really looked before, but the ENTIRE Fox Corporation isn't really all that. Given their influence on media, I would have thought they pulled in more money than they do. Wiki lists their net income for 2024 (so far) as $1.5B.

Yes, a net income of $1.5B is a lot, but Disney is around $2.4B. Paramount Global (CBS/Paramount Studios) are around $600M.

Looking at the actual numbers, Mark Cuban buying them (despite having a "low" net worth compared to Musk), doesn't seem impossible, but it would be a giant PITA for him, and unlikely to provide large (if any) returns.

He'd be doing it for "moral" reasons, which ... is great, but morality doesn't make you money, and he may be a good guy (IDK), but I suspect he is all about making money first and foremost.

by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2024 12:07 AM

According to Forbes real-time billionaires list, Musk is the wealthiest person in the world.

He's worth nearly 50 BILLION dollars more than Jeff Bezos. None of us can imagine what that kind of wealth is like.

His team of financial people will know how to use Twitter as a tax write off.

by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2024 12:09 AM

R13 your comment is so fucking stupid

by Anonymousreply 15September 17, 2024 12:18 AM

The left doesn't like free speech. That's why.

by Anonymousreply 16September 17, 2024 12:21 AM

R14. Yes, on paper.

I’m thinking is liquidity is not so liquid.

by Anonymousreply 17September 17, 2024 12:21 AM

?

Why R15?

Companies going private (and the enormous debt that goes with that), isn't that unusual. Google KKR. I would never assume Cuban would personally assume the debt. Like I said, I don't know that it would be profitable (I honestly doubt it as Twitter has no assets to sell off. Fox may have some), but it isn't impossible.

Really depends on how much money he wants to spend to annoy Elon Musk.

by Anonymousreply 18September 17, 2024 12:26 AM

[quote] ^^^ Are used to refer to the post above.

But you have no idea what the post above it is going to be by the time you hit post and it gets posted. So it's not a useful way of referring to whatever post you may be referencing.

by Anonymousreply 19September 17, 2024 12:32 AM

The more homework I do R15, makes me wonder why you posted that. The market cap of FOX is $17.6B.

Not really that big in the grand scheme of things. Disney is $167B. Paramount (which is, let's face it, the poor step-child at this point) is $7.4B.

Comcast (NBC/Universal) is $153B.

by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2024 12:39 AM

R19. You worry more than my mother, and that’s a shit ton of worry.

by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2024 12:45 AM

^^^I'm not at all worried, I'm just pointing out that no one knows what you are referring to.

by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2024 12:58 AM

[quote]Yes, on paper. I’m thinking is liquidity is not so liquid.

If you are über-wealthy, liquidity is not an issue.

by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2024 1:03 AM

R23 exactly.

by Anonymousreply 24September 17, 2024 1:05 AM

Elon hit back

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 18, 2024 8:44 AM

[quote]The left doesn't like free speech. That's why.

And the right does, Svetlana?

by Anonymousreply 26September 18, 2024 8:50 AM

I've never heard of Mark Cuban as I'm not American...but...I listened to Brian Tyler Cohen interview him. He seems okay, especially his Cost Plus Drug company. Does anybody on here you his service and are the prices good? TIA.

by Anonymousreply 27September 18, 2024 10:07 AM

Yes, I use CostPlus after my local pharmacy stopped using GoodRx. It’s easy to use and efficient, worthwhile if it covers your medication.

by Anonymousreply 28September 18, 2024 10:22 AM

Please change the name back to "Twitter."

by Anonymousreply 29September 18, 2024 7:58 PM

Rupert and Lachlan Murdoch will never sell Fox, whatever the price, because of the power and influence it gives them.

by Anonymousreply 30September 18, 2024 8:08 PM

[quote]Being a CEO/owner of a social media platform brings LOTS of attention, and Musk does not need or want that attention IMHO.

Are you joking? He only bought Twitter because he wanted attention. (It certainly wasn't because he cares about free speech. He only cares about free speech for right-wingers.)

by Anonymousreply 31September 18, 2024 8:11 PM

During “free speech absolutist” Musk’s reign I got perma banned.

Unblock me, Mark Cuban. You’re my only hope.

by Anonymousreply 32September 18, 2024 8:19 PM

Mark Cuban seems everywhere now. Could he be thinking of following Trump’s path from reality tv to politics?

by Anonymousreply 33October 12, 2024 3:30 AM

Owning Twitter was never intended to be a profitable transactions.

Even though he spent $44 billion, he's obtained control of the dominant social media platform - and thus opinion influencing platform - in the world.

Even if he lost his entire "investment" in Twitter, it would merely drop him from being the richest person in the world by 20% to... being the richest person in the world.

by Anonymousreply 34October 12, 2024 4:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!