Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NYC Bus System Is Completely Screwed Up

50% of riders of the bus system in NYC have long ago stopped paying the fares. And the MTA has turned a blind eye to enforcement, well maybe until now. Back during the pandemic they were encouraging people to board the busses by the rear doors (where there is no pay point), and now more and more people have decided they're not willing to go back to paying. The city is losing hundreds of millions of dollars a year in fares.

The first thing that needs to happen is the official(s) who decided to just let this ride for so long need to be fired.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85October 13, 2024 2:06 PM

Same problem on the LA metro. I always felt like an idiot paying my fare.

by Anonymousreply 1September 18, 2024 2:51 PM

That is truly messed up. People who don't pay the fare should be fined heavily. Repeat offenders should be in jail.

by Anonymousreply 2September 18, 2024 2:54 PM

When the city cuts bus services those morons who refused to pay will whine that they don't have busses to ride anymore.

There should be some sort of restraint system on the busses so that a rider can't get past the driver unless he's paid the fare, and another one that would prevent anyone from getting on the bus via the back doors. But of course I"m sure the city would say the costs would be prohibitive. Losing hundreds of millions of dollars a year in fares apparently isn't prohibitive. Administrative stupidity at its best.

by Anonymousreply 3September 18, 2024 3:14 PM

This is a direct result of the BLM movement. since many POC fare evade it was decided to not make this any kind of crime. Let’s not punish poor people was the mantra. Voila, now nobody pays. People aren’t stupid. Why be a chump and pay if other people don’t.

by Anonymousreply 4September 18, 2024 3:20 PM

My solution is to not vote for any progressives running for office in NYC. Unfortunately, the Trump stench has destroyed the Republican brand. So just vote for the least progressive Dem.

by Anonymousreply 5September 18, 2024 3:23 PM

R5, I think that's the key for all big cities in America. Vote for the least progressive dem.

by Anonymousreply 6September 18, 2024 3:25 PM

At the same time 50 working class people who live in the neighborhood are fare beating, 50 assholes from NJ, one per SUV type vehicle, are blocking intersections, speeding whenever possible, not yielding to pedestrians, texting and circling the block because they want to buy some shit and flee back to their townhouse in Parsippany, are going completely unpunished for their crimes.

How many millions of dollars are lost by not ticketing these scofflaws who go unpunished 24/7? Speed limits are LAWS and these people are criminals.

by Anonymousreply 7September 18, 2024 3:27 PM

It’s amazing how late liberals are to catching up to reality. Suddenly, immigration is now an issue when it ends up at their doorstep and progressives are a cancer to society. 🙄 We told you this 4 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 8September 18, 2024 3:28 PM

Oh, and don’t forget the bitching from white liberals about stores now having everything locked up. Defund the police, don’t prosecute if said stolen items are under a certain amount. Future Governor Cynthia Nixon has all the answers.

by Anonymousreply 9September 18, 2024 3:29 PM

It's hard to enforce fares on buses. Drivers really aren't paid enough to deal with the issue.

by Anonymousreply 10September 18, 2024 4:20 PM

R5 the City doesn’t own or run the MTA. The state does.

by Anonymousreply 11September 18, 2024 4:33 PM

r8 wishes he could go back to 1950 to live his best fag life because progressives are cancerous.

by Anonymousreply 12September 18, 2024 4:34 PM

LoL, r4, you aren't fooling anybody.

by Anonymousreply 13September 18, 2024 4:37 PM

Every fucking thread on this board devolves into the same five homebound Klan Grannies talking to each other

by Anonymousreply 14September 18, 2024 4:38 PM

USA is a very wealthy country? Where is the wealth? Municipal transport is free in a number of European cities. Geneva will be free for under 25 starting next year.

If not free, let's say under 25 in NYC can buy a monthly pass for 25 USD or some such manageable sum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 18, 2024 4:42 PM

r14 block and move on.

by Anonymousreply 16September 18, 2024 4:48 PM

R7 and are people from Parsippany the cause of the problems on the NY subways where fare evasion would seem to be the least of its problems?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 18, 2024 4:55 PM

[quote]It's hard to enforce fares on buses. Drivers really aren't paid enough to deal with the issue.

Well, don't try it in Houston. I've been called to the front of the bus when my fare card didn't register on the reader. Houston METRO drivers watch and enforce.

by Anonymousreply 18September 18, 2024 4:59 PM

[Quote] Drivers really aren't paid enough to deal with the issue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 18, 2024 5:02 PM

The NYPD Transit bureau is notoriously checked out. And after their massive fuckup in Brooklyn where 4 ppl got shot by cops over a fare evasion, they're gonna work even less.

by Anonymousreply 20September 18, 2024 5:03 PM

Officers conducted a major operation at the Queens Midtown Tunnel on Monday. They stopped 19 vehicles registered to persistent toll violators, and they issued 81 summonses and seized two fraudulent license plates.

The MTA says those drivers accounted for a total of nearly half a million dollars in unpaid tolls and fees. One driver alone owed $76,000.

50 people on a bus 3.00 each $150.00 crime. 100 selfish assholes from the suburbs stealing $500,000 dollars or, on average, 5,000 each, just on a random Wednesday. Where should we invest our crime fighting resources? At the front of the bus or at every bridge and tunnel?

by Anonymousreply 21September 18, 2024 7:15 PM

Now I feel like a major fool for always paying the bus fare.

But I wouldn't even consider not paying. It's a great deal. And I want it to keep running.

by Anonymousreply 22September 18, 2024 7:30 PM

The MTA should tell the drivers to not move the bus until the scofflaws came up front and paid their fairs.

by Anonymousreply 23September 18, 2024 8:19 PM

And then make everyone else on the bus late, r23?

by Anonymousreply 24September 18, 2024 8:24 PM

At the very least fare evaders should be made to give up their seat to those who have paid

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 18, 2024 10:05 PM

Be nice to your bus drivers. Ever had a transit strike? These people are paid to drive, not be police.

Now that I'm 65 it's free in Montreal. Bus, Metro, Rem, commuter trains. Sometimes I feel like paying a fare to keep the system healthy.

I believe we are within the top 5, per capita, users of public transit in North America. 50 years ago you couldn't expect a bus to wait a few seconds to let you catch it. There was no schedule. Now it's great and the drivers see my cane (rheumatoid arthritis) and immediately lower the bus to ease my entry. Buses arrive on time. The Metro has elevators.

Be nice. I say bonjour and merci. These people have seen the worst of human behavoir in a confined space, and they are not security guards.

by Anonymousreply 26September 18, 2024 10:56 PM

We should make the buses free to ride and pay for them using tax dollars. Then we wouldn't have to worry about fare enforcement because the bus system is already fully paid for.

by Anonymousreply 27September 19, 2024 1:14 AM

R25 That is my favorite Wierd Al parody (and one of his first).

by Anonymousreply 28September 19, 2024 2:20 AM

[quote] We should make the buses free to ride and pay for them using tax dollars

No. We should pay for public transit that will be reliable, frequent and (ideally) clean.

by Anonymousreply 29September 19, 2024 4:04 AM

Views like R27's drive me crazy.

Nowhere in the world is there a free public transit service.

by Anonymousreply 30September 19, 2024 3:31 PM

Montreal is free for senior residents after you pay $15 for the pass.

by Anonymousreply 31September 19, 2024 3:39 PM

So it is subsidized, not free.

by Anonymousreply 32September 19, 2024 3:50 PM

MOST people are expected to pay to use functioning transit systems. Anyone who cannot pay should be kicked the hell out. And if they are repeat offenders, they should absolutely be thrown in jail.

by Anonymousreply 33September 19, 2024 3:51 PM

To board the M34A bus, you have to insert your MetroCard into a kiosk at the bus stop. The kiosk then prints out a receipt. You board the M34A bus from the rear doors and you have to keep the receipt on hand just in case the driver asks to see it. Bus drivers never check these receipts. Basically any freeloader can sneak in from the back of the bus and ride for free.

by Anonymousreply 34September 19, 2024 3:52 PM

You are allowed to enter in the rear. You can tap from the middle or the rear. Just like in Milan and many other places.

by Anonymousreply 35September 19, 2024 3:57 PM

People also wait for exiting subway passengers to go through the emergency door so they can get on for free. Some people waiting are clearly down on their luck, others I'm not so sure. The city has a half fare program for the poor, so I don't know what the deal is. It annoys me most times. I haven't seen people not paying their bus fare for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 36September 19, 2024 3:59 PM

There may be places where certain people don't have to pay to ride the bus or the trains, but trust me it's not free. The taxes they pay goes toward paying for their rides. It's no different than the NHS in the UK. People keep saying "oh it's free". No they pay much higher taxes there and that money pays for their healthcare.

In the end, little to nothing in life is free if money is required to keep it going. It's got to be paid for somehow.

by Anonymousreply 37September 19, 2024 4:58 PM

I think every city should have a functioning public transit system but this super-lefty idea of it should be free is nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 38September 19, 2024 6:41 PM

R38, agreed

by Anonymousreply 39September 19, 2024 6:58 PM

There are countries with taxpayer-funded healthcare systems but the idea of doing the same thing with a bus makes your heads explode, r30 r38? Why is that such a strange idea?

by Anonymousreply 40September 19, 2024 7:43 PM

It’s called economics.

by Anonymousreply 41September 19, 2024 7:46 PM

[Quote] Every fucking thread on this board devolves into the same five homebound Klan Grannies talking to each other

and then there's you dear. Isn't Klan Grannies so last year?

by Anonymousreply 42September 19, 2024 8:49 PM

r41, Are you as outraged about the 100 drivers, caught on 1 day, owing $500,000 as you are about the people stealing 3 dollar rides? Economically speaking?

by Anonymousreply 43September 19, 2024 8:54 PM

100 drivers on 1 day at one tunnel. $500,000 dollars of fare beating criminals from the suburbs. That's the equivalent of 166,000 thieving bus riders.

by Anonymousreply 44September 19, 2024 8:57 PM

[Quote] We should make the buses free to ride and pay for them using tax dollars

R40 can you imagine how crowded buses would get under those conditions in NYC to say nothing of slow moving as people are hopping on and off at every opportunity? More buses would be needed as well!

by Anonymousreply 45September 19, 2024 9:15 PM

R2 I tend to agree only because this stuff is a slippery slope for rougher crime. I always remember my elder uncles saying that crime went down in NYC because of Giuliani and his crack down on petty crime. Then I read about the broken window theory once I got older in college. No brain dead liberal will convince me it’s not real. And I’m pretty damn liberal myself.

by Anonymousreply 46September 19, 2024 9:31 PM

What we need to do is to enforce cultural etiquette again. You don’t break laws because of income inequality. Mafuckin cunts prolly got the latest iPhone 20 too. Can you imagine poor people in the 40s and 50s not paying the fare outside of teenagers. Obviously there should be some subsidies for low income families.

I say all this because there is a large portion on the left which think this is ok as a way to fight the system. It’s just as dysfunctional as tax cuts for the rich.

by Anonymousreply 47September 19, 2024 9:36 PM

I would weep for you but the flies ate my tear ducts.

by Anonymousreply 48September 19, 2024 9:42 PM

Actually, r45 we don't have to imagine because we've had free routes for years. Believe it or not, the world didn't end and the system didn't collapse.

Even now, there are no complaints that paying people can't get on because of the fare evaders. It's the single-car-commuter (criminals from the suburbs) that need to be held accountable. Useless people taking up valuable space thinking only of themselves. HONK HONK HONK. ME ME ME

Imagine if NYC had stand your ground laws. "I'm walking here" would be a justifiable homicide on every corner.

Yield to pedestrians. It's the law.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 19, 2024 9:43 PM

I know this sounds arrogant and I was by no means rich but I don’t do buses. I just don’t especially not in NYC where the subway is rampant.

by Anonymousreply 50September 19, 2024 9:45 PM

r46. Do you believe that Guilania should be in prison for treason and/or any other crimes?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51September 19, 2024 9:45 PM

Really, tell us more about how saviour Julie Annie saved us from the thugs destroying our way of life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52September 19, 2024 9:47 PM

R49, Im from Chicago and I try to avoid busses as much as possible. I would change my tune if we actually had dedicated bus lines. But I greatly prefer to walk or take the El.

by Anonymousreply 53September 19, 2024 9:49 PM

Julie Annie is a Russian asset and Italian-American asshole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 19, 2024 9:52 PM

Then again R54

fare-free bus pilot ending August 31 The fare-free bus pilot on the Bx18A/B, B60, M116, Q4, and S46/96 will end on August 31, 2024. Fare collection will resume on those bus routes on September 1, 2024.

by Anonymousreply 55September 19, 2024 10:14 PM

R49 did you bother to read the article you posted?

fare-free bus pilot ending August 31 The fare-free bus pilot on the Bx18A/B, B60, M116, Q4, and S46/96 will end on August 31, 2024. Fare collection will resume on those bus routes on September 1, 2024.

by Anonymousreply 56September 19, 2024 10:25 PM

Slap their face! Slap their scofflaws faces visciously!

by Anonymousreply 57September 19, 2024 10:28 PM

Again, r56, are you as outraged at the car driving criminals?

by Anonymousreply 58September 19, 2024 10:34 PM

^Economically speaking. Where should we place the cops, on the bus or at the bridges and tunnels?

by Anonymousreply 59September 19, 2024 10:35 PM

^And at the intersections near bridges and tunnels where the criminals are most active, following the broken windows theory? Fare beating, traffic- blocking -selfish- asshole lawbreakers who don't even live here.

200 million equals, 666,000 bus scofflaws.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 19, 2024 10:45 PM

R59 that’s because you’re an idiot. For hundreds of thousands of people in NYC, the bus is the only viable option—for direct service or to connect to the subway. For hundreds of thousands of others, the bus is the most convenient cross-town or up/downtown choice at certain hours of the day.

You type like a moron from Nowhereville.

by Anonymousreply 61September 19, 2024 10:53 PM

For R50 stinking mussy^^

by Anonymousreply 62September 19, 2024 10:54 PM

[Quote] Where should we place the cops, on the bus or at the bridges and tunnels?

I choose D: all of the above but even more concerning frau is the highest number of traffic fatalities in 10 years

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 19, 2024 11:04 PM

Please, do not institute free public transportation unless and until the homeless have someplace to go during the day. When our city had a period of free rides after the system was overhauled, the buses and light rail stank from the unwashed homeless people. I realize that is less than charitable thing to say, but the heavy presence of smelly and crazy homeless people discourages people from using public transportation.

by Anonymousreply 64September 19, 2024 11:14 PM

r64 that's already a huge problem in LA, which (technically) does not have free public transit.

by Anonymousreply 65September 19, 2024 11:18 PM

Ha! We had a guy peeing all over everyone between subway stops. You're stuck with it until the doors open at the next station. People were crying by then but he just laughed and laughed, and then ran away.

by Anonymousreply 66September 19, 2024 11:21 PM

Hey, pee guy ➡️😮

by Anonymousreply 67September 19, 2024 11:43 PM

I don't take the bus. My mother and father said they will buy me my own pony for transportation. And, this horse will be so much better and faster than that Laura Ingalls' broken down nag!

by Anonymousreply 68September 19, 2024 11:46 PM

Much better than subways, according to Trump.

[quote]Donald Trump sank far lower than where the New York City subway travels on Wednesday, wildly claiming there’s a 75% chance a child riding alone will go missing permanently.

[quote]The Republican nominee told a rally in Uniondale, New York, that his parents used to drop him off at the subway in what he characterized as a safer time.“They had no fear that I was gonna be disappearing!” he said. “They would take me to a subway, put me on, and say, ‘Bye darling, bye.’ If you do that today, you have about a 75% chance that you’ll never see your child again. What the hell has happened here? What has happened?”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69September 20, 2024 1:33 AM

r56. What's your response, economically speaking, to the massive amount of bridge and tunnel criminals in cars? Tell us, you stupid cunt. Do the math.

by Anonymousreply 70September 20, 2024 3:13 AM

I did the math R70 and the sum of it is: you're a meth addled, bitter. old queen

by Anonymousreply 71September 20, 2024 3:28 AM

*checks r71’s math*

R71 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 72September 20, 2024 2:06 PM

SF has the same issue on its busses. Most people don't pay at all. It's infuriating.

by Anonymousreply 73September 20, 2024 2:37 PM

I'm fucking tired of paying for every bus and subway ride while many have decided they should and do ride for free!

EVERY time I swipe my card/phone I witness many people hopping over or using the emergency exit gate to stroll in, and yes, get ready to shriek, the majority are non-white.

I dare anyone to make a contrary observation.

by Anonymousreply 74September 20, 2024 2:57 PM

It says in the video that bus fares represent a fraction of the total budget. So if policing fare beaters is expensive and complicated enough..

Los Angeles made its local shuttle buses free during the pandemic and then kept them that way. It's more valuable to the city to promote transit alternatives than fight people over the 50 cents. It includes a lift to the Griffith Observatory for visitors. It's a good look. It's fun if you live near one and want to go for a walk or a run and then jump on one home or vice versa. I'm a weirdo...I like driving but I'm not sure I like driving all the time. Not the normal bus network, fyi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 20, 2024 3:00 PM

R74, I see tons of white people doing the same....so there you go, racist.

by Anonymousreply 76September 23, 2024 7:40 PM

I knew it would turn into a Trump thread. I just didn't think it would take so long.

by Anonymousreply 77September 23, 2024 7:47 PM

DASH is an extremely limited service

by Anonymousreply 78September 23, 2024 8:18 PM

Free public transit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79September 23, 2024 8:20 PM

Nothing is free. Paid for by taxpayers who mostly don't use the service is a better way of putting it.

by Anonymousreply 80September 23, 2024 8:30 PM

Not paid by taxoayers^^

by Anonymousreply 81September 23, 2024 8:33 PM

NYC is gross

by Anonymousreply 82September 23, 2024 8:42 PM

Troll thread. No official study, results, methodology that 50 percent of riders don't pay their fares. You know what they can measure? Tickets that have already been issued.

1 billion dollars between 2017-2022, you want to treat the guy on the bus as a criminal, fine, treat the driver the same way. A billion dollars of fines already issued equals 333 million bus riders.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83September 28, 2024 1:02 PM

Dash is very limited but if you live on or very near one of the lines and do things locally and can wait 15 minutes. Show me the other cities with free shuttle buses.

by Anonymousreply 84September 28, 2024 2:06 PM

MTA stands for Muthafuckers touching my ASS

by Anonymousreply 85October 13, 2024 2:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!