Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Newly opened gay bar and cafe in Asheville destroyed in Hurricane Helene

Was open for a month and the hurricane put the entire building under water. They lost everything.

I know we are always suspicious of the grift here, but I feel these guys are decent gays and not on the grift, so I donated to the GFM. Hard enough to open a gay bar or keep one open these days......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 13, 2024 3:29 AM

Devasting

Also Ashville is a known flood zone with at least 5000 properties at HIGH RISK of major flooding. Maybe open your new business above a flood zone.

by Anonymousreply 1October 2, 2024 4:55 PM

Did they not have flood insurance? I know it's difficult to get in Florida but I've not heard it was a problem in NC. There's no reason they shouldn't be able to build back once their claim is approved.

by Anonymousreply 2October 2, 2024 5:15 PM

Great....so, we will now hear, that we were the cause.

by Anonymousreply 3October 2, 2024 5:26 PM

[quote] Devasting

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 4October 2, 2024 5:45 PM

[quote] Did they not have flood insurance?

I'm sure they did, but this flood was well beyond what was expected in the area.

by Anonymousreply 5October 2, 2024 5:45 PM

We can rebuild! ✊

by Anonymousreply 6October 2, 2024 6:28 PM

So their insurance company will say the flood was "unexpected" therefore they don't have to pay out? 🤡

by Anonymousreply 7October 2, 2024 6:41 PM

Queer bar devastated by Hurricane Helene raises more than $191,000 to rebuild

A GoFundMe fundraiser, verified by NBC News, to rebuild DayTrip and provide assistance to employees has surpassed its goal, raising more than $191,000.

Meredith Sims, a friend of Davis', started the campaign on behalf of the business owners, setting a goal of $180,000 — an estimate of their life savings and the large business loan that was taken out to finance the project.

"They spent countless months and so much blood, sweat and tears renovating the space and realizing their dream of creating a cozy and quirky place for friends and neighbors to come and feel welcome," she wrote. "It was that place for a sweet brief time."

Since the GoFundMe went live, Davis said, they have been overwhelmed with support — even from international supporters.

"Thousands and thousands of queer people from all over the world have been donating, and I don't have words to explain how grateful I am," he said.

Besides setting aside money to rebuild DayTrip, Davis said they have used funds to compensate employees, as well as donate to local volunteering efforts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 11, 2024 2:22 AM

Maybe you’re grifting OP? Hmmmmm

by Anonymousreply 9October 11, 2024 2:29 AM

Op said gay bar, not queer.

by Anonymousreply 10October 11, 2024 2:32 AM

I gave to the ‘’go fuck me’’ funraiser -that’s different.

by Anonymousreply 11October 11, 2024 2:33 AM

Why would they need that much money? It's not like they owned.the building itself.

by Anonymousreply 12October 11, 2024 3:41 AM

"... you know Brandon and Davie, you know how much of their heart and soul went into creating their bar and coffee shop, DayTrip"

Latte by day, poppers by night?

by Anonymousreply 13October 11, 2024 4:22 AM

They've got $193k - $13k over the $180k requested.

All is good - these types of GoFundMe touch me.

by Anonymousreply 14October 11, 2024 4:41 AM

[quote] Why would they need that much money? It's not like they owned.the building itself.

That is how much they invested in the business according to the article, they are also paying their staff while closed and using some of the money to help out others.

by Anonymousreply 15October 11, 2024 12:28 PM

And the didn't have insurance on top of their beggary?

by Anonymousreply 16October 11, 2024 12:42 PM

What adult goes by "Davie."

by Anonymousreply 17October 11, 2024 12:48 PM

R16 - I doubt they would have had thought to (or required to) buy flood insurance in the mountains.

Most of the donations were $10 - so stop with the begging bullshit. They asked for help and people responded in small amounts and it made a huge difference.

So many LGB owned businesses have closed the last 20 years - they need out support.

by Anonymousreply 18October 11, 2024 6:41 PM

It's a sweet story.

by Anonymousreply 19October 11, 2024 6:47 PM

The question is, will they end the ask or increase their goal to $250,000?

by Anonymousreply 20October 11, 2024 10:55 PM

Brandon! Davie! Damn it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 11, 2024 11:11 PM

R18 I live in a third story apartment I'm Chicago and still included flood damage in my renter's insurance policy precisely because it's so cheap in cities with low flood risk. It's just a dollar extra a month. No excuse not to include it in your policy if you're a renter, like they were.

I still donated to their GFM, because I realize that insurance payout takes a long time, and I like that they're using money to keep paying their employees. But saying that you shouldn't include flood damage in your policy because you live somewhere that doesn't flood often is just bad advice, especially with climate change ramping up the way it is.

by Anonymousreply 22October 13, 2024 3:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!