Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATER GOSSIP #572: Missing Gavin and Ken and (in Lindsay's case) Performances

OK, not a great title. But I didn't see a new thread.

by Anonymousreply 475October 15, 2024 10:50 PM

Replying to R588, who wrote "Ken Page originated roled. [sic] Gavin Creel mostly appeared in revivals."

Broadway-wise, Ken Page originated one role: AIN'T MISBEHAVIN'. He wasn't the first Old Deuteronomy in CATS, though of course he was the first to play it on Broadway. His other Broadway credits were 2 replacement turns (THE WIZ and AIN'T NOTHIN' BUT THE BLUES) and 2 revivals (GUYS AND DOLLS and the return of AIN'T MISBEHAVIN'). He did originate roles Off-Broadway (I am the only person alive who loved HAPPINESS at Lincoln Center) and in London (CHILDREN OF EDEN).

Broadway-wise, Gavin Creel originated one role: THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE. He was also in the original cast of Sondheim's BOUNCE out of town.

by Anonymousreply 1October 5, 2024 2:50 PM

pedant | ˈped(ə)nt |

noun

a person who is excessively concerned with minor details and rules or with displaying academic learning: the royal palace (some pedants would say the ex-royal palace).

by Anonymousreply 2October 5, 2024 3:03 PM

There is nothing pedantic about R1's post.

by Anonymousreply 3October 5, 2024 3:23 PM

R3 needs to upgrade her pedantry-tolerance settings if she's going to stay on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 4October 5, 2024 3:28 PM

Thanks, OP. And I like the title.

by Anonymousreply 5October 5, 2024 3:39 PM

[quote]Missing Gavin and Ken and (in Lindsay's case) Performances

And, in terms of performances, also in the case of Maleah Joi Moon in HELL'S KITCHEN :-)

by Anonymousreply 6October 5, 2024 4:29 PM

I spent 15 minutes trying to find THEATRE Gossip.

Is this the real true thread?

by Anonymousreply 7October 5, 2024 6:18 PM

Ken Page was also a wonderful Jupiter opposite Andrea Martin, La Chanze, Gregg Edelman and Marin Mazzie (RIP) in Cole Porter's OUT OF THIS WORLD in the early years of Encores! Fabulous cast recording available.

by Anonymousreply 8October 5, 2024 6:44 PM

John Lithgow and the play GIANT about anti-Semitic writer Roald Dahl are getting stellar reviews at London's Royal Court right now. Can't wait for this one to get to Broadway though I imagine it will do a West End run first.

by Anonymousreply 9October 5, 2024 6:46 PM

Are we supposed to read the other children in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as Jews?

by Anonymousreply 10October 5, 2024 8:15 PM

[quote]Are we supposed to read the other children in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as Jews?

I always assumed Oompa-Loompa was a Jewish name.

by Anonymousreply 11October 5, 2024 8:20 PM

Here's the link to the previous thread ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 5, 2024 9:11 PM

Thanks for starting the new one, OP! And thank you to the late-in-the-thread poster from the prior thread who shared the Hell's Kitchen gossip!

by Anonymousreply 13October 6, 2024 1:48 AM

[quote]Thank you to the late-in-the-thread poster from the prior thread who shared the Hell's Kitchen gossip!

You're welcome ;-)

Interesting, in the internet/social media era, that shows are sometimes able to keep it relatively quiet when stuff like this is going on. Another example: It seemed to me that the MERRILY producers and press people did everything possible not to discuss Lindsay Mendez's huge number of absences from that show.

by Anonymousreply 14October 6, 2024 2:20 AM

R14 - it is interesting the way they've been able to keep it quiet. I think there are probably a few factors -- one, please correct me if I'm wrong -- but my impression is that Hell's Kitchen, unlike Merrily, is not really regarded as a theatre-lover's show. I know it's not even been open a full year yet, but whenever I've walked by its theatre, the crowds for it already seem 90% tourist. Nothing wrong with that. Tourists keep NY's economy humming -- but I imagine this kind of backstage inside-baseball intrigue is of little interest to the majority of people seeing the show. Vs. Merrily which obviously WAS a theatre-person's show with many avid theatre-goers returning to it multiple times and it remaining a big part of the theatre world's conversation throughout its run.

by Anonymousreply 15October 6, 2024 2:44 AM

Productions have no need to address frequent absences or other performance issues anymore. Social media is packed full of automatons who do the job for them, saying such things as:

"I'd like to see YOU perform 8 times a week!"

"Understudies are the life and soul of Broadway!"

"They have every right to skip performances, you don't know them!"

I sure wish I could take a day or two off from my job every single week in perpetuity, too bad I don't have twitter stans.

by Anonymousreply 16October 6, 2024 3:05 AM

This may be old news here, but I only just learned that Sarah Pidgeon, Juliana Canfield and Tom Pacinka (Tony nominees all) have left the cast of “Stereophonic,” which will close on January 12.

I haven’t been looking at the Broadway grosses lately, had business fallen off? Why are they closing the show?

by Anonymousreply 17October 6, 2024 3:36 AM

How much money does a performer lose for a missed performance. Do they have time off, sick days, etc?

by Anonymousreply 18October 6, 2024 3:37 AM

THEATRE.

Goodness.

by Anonymousreply 19October 6, 2024 3:39 AM

The details matter, r19.

by Anonymousreply 20October 6, 2024 3:41 AM

R20 I agree.

by Anonymousreply 21October 6, 2024 3:43 AM

I saw Hell's Kitchen the day after the Tony Awards nominations. Gianna Harris played Ali that day. Also, most of the audience were high schoolers.

by Anonymousreply 22October 6, 2024 3:44 AM

[quote] I haven’t been looking at the Broadway grosses lately, had business fallen off? Why are they closing the show?

It's definitely selling. But for some reason, the show has always been a limited run. It extended three times. My question is- if it's doing so well, why not just have it be an open ended run?

by Anonymousreply 23October 6, 2024 3:46 AM

That’s why I asked the question above, R23. Will “Stereophonic” just keep extending every couple of months?

Or will the original cast get together again to take it to London next year?

by Anonymousreply 24October 6, 2024 3:53 AM

I really think even with Idina, Audra, Megan Hilty, Jennifer Simard and everyone else, the Tony will go to Nicole for Sunset.

by Anonymousreply 25October 6, 2024 4:24 AM

Jamie Lloyd is the retarded love child of Ivo Van hove and Julie Taymor

by Anonymousreply 26October 6, 2024 4:42 AM

Stephen Slater review of Romeo and Juliet. Haven't found any others yet. But previews just ended.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 6, 2024 11:21 AM

R18 Actors get one sick day for every four weeks of work. If they are out more than that, they are docked 1/8 of their salary. When a show closes, they are paid out for any sick days not used.

by Anonymousreply 28October 6, 2024 1:33 PM

Steven Sater is an idiot and one of the Great Assholes of the Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 29October 6, 2024 1:40 PM

What theatre is that show playing in? I like the title.

by Anonymousreply 30October 6, 2024 4:06 PM

The hell’s kitchen lead role seems like a beast. I remember seeing it and wondering how on earth that girl was gonna maintain everything that was asked of her. Isn’t part of the jobs of directors and choreographers is to figure out what is sustainable?. I know the kid is young, but I can’t imagine the exhaustion. It’s ridiculous for the performer and unfair to audiences.

by Anonymousreply 31October 6, 2024 4:08 PM

[quote]R15 and R16, I think those are very wise assessment of the situation on both of your parts.

by Anonymousreply 32October 6, 2024 4:30 PM

^^^Sorry, that was not meant to be formatted as a quote:

[R15] and [R16], I think those are very wise assessments of the situation on both of your parts.

R31, I didn't notice the role being THAT much of a beast, especially not for a very young performer, but other people have made the same point you're making here. Whatever, I think we agree that a situation should not exist where a performer needs to be out SO often. And certainly not where, for some reason, they have felt it necessary to bow out of the show IN MID PERFORMANCE on at least seven occasions.

by Anonymousreply 33October 6, 2024 4:40 PM

Well r32/r33 that settles that since you are obviously the final (and CAPITALIZED) word on this and every subject.

by Anonymousreply 34October 6, 2024 5:15 PM

Up yours, R34. All I did was express an opinion and also support for the comments of two other posters.

by Anonymousreply 35October 6, 2024 5:20 PM

[quote]Steven Sater is an idiot and one of the Great Assholes of the Theatre.

Glad to see his "review" didn't get in the way of him shoveling food down into his gaping maw.

by Anonymousreply 36October 6, 2024 5:26 PM

He’s bald, with a bad hat—and he talks with his mouth full. Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 37October 6, 2024 6:04 PM

Re: The Stereophonic cast changes. Presumably, those actors either have some new lucrative offers in-hand or their representation has convinced them it's time to move on from Stereophonic and take meetings etc. for future opportunities while the iron is hot.

by Anonymousreply 38October 6, 2024 8:46 PM

I expected a discussion here about the marquee light-dimming controversy re Gavin Creel. The Theatre Gods evidently okayed a ‘partial’ dimming (whatever that is) which has outraged much of the younger theatrical contingent.

While my Insta feed is hardly a byword it is a sort of borometer, and it is chock full every day with tributes and reminiscences from people who knew and loved Creel. He had a very high profile theater career and won the fucking Tony, why not a full dimming of all marquees as a tribute and to assuage the grief of those he left behind? Clearly he was loved.

by Anonymousreply 39October 6, 2024 8:51 PM

[quote]it is a sort of borometer

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 40October 6, 2024 8:52 PM

Re: Stereophonic cast changes. They apparently happened Oct. 1st. (According to IBDB)

by Anonymousreply 41October 6, 2024 9:12 PM

Gavin Creel’s Beloved Al Hirschfeld Theatre Breaks Ranks To Join Broadway Light Dimming Tribute; Actors’ Equity Takes Stance On Growing Controversy:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 6, 2024 9:54 PM

Because R39 Broadway Theater owners and Producers are the most selfish bottom feeding pieces of shit on earth. They will cheat and steal anyone they can out of their last penny. They live in a disconnected universe all of their very own. The Broadway League, of which I am a member by the way, encourages and supports this behavior. It's a dying industry.

by Anonymousreply 43October 7, 2024 1:47 AM

It’s probably a good paycheck but those Stereophonic actors must be [italic] exhausted [/italic] and possibly bored. Paycheck aside — which is a big aside – the thrill must be gone

by Anonymousreply 44October 7, 2024 1:52 AM

R44, Yeah, didn’t someone on a previous theater thread say the “Stereophonic” cast are each getting $5,000 a week?

by Anonymousreply 45October 7, 2024 3:09 AM

R45 - I forget the exact details / exact amount, but there's an excellent couple of episodes of Freakonomics dedicated to Stereophonic -- both the art and commerce -- features pretty candid interviews with the playwright, actors, producers. One of the actors actually revealed their salary, which they collectively bargained for but still sounded fairly modest. I'm sure if they've got TV or film prospects, those would dwarf their weekly Broadway salary.

by Anonymousreply 46October 7, 2024 5:30 AM

The Gavin Creel petition has 20k signatures. I don't think they can ignore it.

by Anonymousreply 47October 7, 2024 5:45 AM

Shoshana Bean is leaving Hell's Kitchen. I wonder if she's sick of the bullshit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 7, 2024 1:39 PM

why can't the lights of Broadway be dimmed on the last day of the month for everyone who has passed that month. This way we include EVERYONE. How about the stage managers, costume people, designers, long time ushers...anyone who has been working consistently on Broadway and making it run. Why are they not included?

by Anonymousreply 49October 7, 2024 1:51 PM

Also, if she wasn't specifically identified, I'd have thought that was Jasmine Guy.

by Anonymousreply 50October 7, 2024 1:52 PM

R49, that is truly an excellent idea.

by Anonymousreply 51October 7, 2024 1:59 PM

And everyone thought bottom-feeder Char St. Martin was a holy terror. The entire League is populated by imbeciles.

by Anonymousreply 52October 7, 2024 2:26 PM

[quote] there's an excellent couple of episodes of Freakonomics dedicated to Stereophonic -- both the art and commerce -- features pretty candid interviews with the playwright, actors, producers.

Did Eli Gelb discuss his need to stick his dick in any and every available female?

Who in the original cast remains?

by Anonymousreply 53October 7, 2024 2:27 PM

Damn, but somebody here is literally obsessed with the sex life of Eli Gelb, which I for one consider to be a freaking weird obsession. Back off and get a life, dude!

by Anonymousreply 54October 7, 2024 2:54 PM

R54 especially Eli Gelb. Why can’t someone be obsessed with Ramin Karimloo? Now there is a MAN!

by Anonymousreply 55October 7, 2024 3:02 PM

Calm down, Mary R54.

by Anonymousreply 56October 7, 2024 3:10 PM

Eli Gelb is....not good looking.

by Anonymousreply 57October 7, 2024 3:28 PM

I guess he is if you go for really geeky-looking Jews.

by Anonymousreply 58October 7, 2024 3:43 PM

R56, the person who needs to calm down is the one who has obsessively posted about Eli Gelb's sex life in MULTIPLE threads. Perhaps that person is you? If so, what the hell is your damage?

by Anonymousreply 59October 7, 2024 4:35 PM

Calm down, R59.

by Anonymousreply 60October 7, 2024 4:50 PM

While the idea of a monthly dimming of lights for all who died is undeniably sweet, it kind of robs the honor as the extraordinary and rare gesture for the truly great that it was originally intended. But I guess this what culture in the 21st century has come to - we are all winners.

Well, whatever.....

by Anonymousreply 61October 7, 2024 5:36 PM

R61 I think it’s unfair to liken support for Gavin Creel with a slip in general standards of excellence.

Creel managed an impressive list of theatrical credits and honors way beyond the average 48 year old Broadway jobber. But beyond that, it is clear from the grieved reaction of the theater community that he was known, loved and respected by all. He was a kind of student body president of Broadway, cheering his colleagues on. The fact that he convinced the producers of “Hair” to let the company take a day off to march for gay rights in D.C. is itself extraordinary and speaks of his values, commitment and leadership.

He wasn’t just another aging gay chorus boy, but that is how he is being treated with this half-assed, tone deaf ‘tribute.’

by Anonymousreply 62October 7, 2024 5:48 PM

[quote]Shoshana Bean is leaving Hell's Kitchen. I wonder if she's sick of the bullshit.

What happened? Is there some kind of backstage drama? Shoshana should stay on, because this is the first big gig she's had since she replaced Idina in Wicked.

by Anonymousreply 63October 7, 2024 5:56 PM

I thought I had read that the League had given in due to the outcry and that now ALL the theaters will dim for Gavin. Is that not correct? Maybe someone just posted that without knowing what they're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 64October 7, 2024 6:42 PM

R62 Meh. Creel was no Ken Page.

by Anonymousreply 65October 7, 2024 7:10 PM

R63 could it be that she’s 50 and the role sucks?

by Anonymousreply 66October 7, 2024 7:12 PM

Anyone know the identity of "sergius" on ATC? Erudite and intelligent (if a bit pompous) they seems to have the means nd time to see lots of shows, both in NY and London.

by Anonymousreply 67October 7, 2024 7:30 PM

Will David Adjmi have to lawyer up and pay for his own defense after being sued (again), or will the producers hire lawyers and pay for it?

by Anonymousreply 68October 7, 2024 8:18 PM

Eli Gelb was great in Stereophonic, but obsessing over his sex life is a bit odd. I suppose every pot has a lid. Now MikeR -- THERE'S a man worth obsessing over. When you caught him backstage at the San Jose Performing Arts Center in his dance belt, you really gained an appreciation for how powerful his hip flexors were.

by Anonymousreply 69October 7, 2024 8:18 PM

Datalounge brains cannot compute a slutty straight guy, it contradicts our strongly held belief that straight men don't actually exist. Thus, a guy who genuinely loves pussy fascinates and alarms us.

Or maybe some one thinks it's a lot funnier than it is. Who's to say?

by Anonymousreply 70October 7, 2024 8:44 PM

Did they dim the lights for Vera Charles?

by Anonymousreply 71October 7, 2024 9:22 PM

True, R70--just the idea of Gelb fucking women is too much for some Nancys here!

by Anonymousreply 72October 7, 2024 9:31 PM

R70, I suppose either explanation is plausible, but I don't think either one justifies MULTIPLE posts in several different theatre threads.

by Anonymousreply 73October 7, 2024 9:49 PM

Playbill keeps referring to the upcoming Circle in the Square production of "Romeo and Juliet" as a "revival," like it's an obscure drama from the 1960s.

by Anonymousreply 74October 7, 2024 10:10 PM

I had trouble finding this new thread in a search because "theatre" is spelled "theater."

by Anonymousreply 75October 7, 2024 10:12 PM

[quote]why can't the lights of Broadway be dimmed on the last day of the month for everyone who has passed that month.

Because when a gesture comes to mean everything, it ends up meaning nothing.

by Anonymousreply 76October 7, 2024 10:28 PM

Right, R73, because people and themes and stories NEVER get carried over in these threads.

by Anonymousreply 77October 7, 2024 10:30 PM

R19 for what it's worth, most Germanic languages spell it 'theater' (e.g. German, Dutch, American English)

Other Germanic languages like Danish and Swedish spell it 'teater.'

Only the Brits spell it 'theatre.'

And that's because they copied the French 'théâtre.;

So, it's the Brits who strayed from the original spelling.

by Anonymousreply 78October 8, 2024 12:06 AM

MCC Theater has posted Gavin's "Mamma Mia! Medley" from this year's Miscast. Watching it, it's almost inconceivable that he would be gone only 5 months later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 8, 2024 12:06 AM

R78 the Romance languages spell it with the 'R' after the 'T.'

FRENCH = théâtre

SPANISH = teatro

ITALIAN = teatro

PORTUGUESE = teatro

by Anonymousreply 80October 8, 2024 12:23 AM

I was a copy editor for a major newspaper for years. We spelled it "theater" when it was used generically but would use "theatre" in names of specific theaters, if that's how the venue spelled it, as in "Shubert Theatre."

by Anonymousreply 81October 8, 2024 12:35 AM

But what about when you're saying Theater or Theatre is really going through some rough patches. As spoken of as an institution, Theatre seems more apt to me.

by Anonymousreply 82October 8, 2024 1:04 AM

[quote]I had trouble finding this new thread in a search because "theatre" is spelled "theater."

I always search for the thread number -- in this case "572". Thankfully, one of the FEW good things about Muriel is that she allows searches for three-character words -- which a lot of forums do not.

by Anonymousreply 83October 8, 2024 1:10 AM

Even if numerous late theatre artists were honored with the dimming of theater lights, who would determine who made the cut? When it becomes a list of lesser-known names, it becomes even more tricky.

by Anonymousreply 84October 8, 2024 1:26 AM

^^^ But why doesn't the French spelling count? And are you saying the French had a word for theatre before the Brits did?

by Anonymousreply 85October 8, 2024 2:04 AM

[quote]I always search for the thread number -- in this case "572".

The way I search for the next theatre (or theater) thread, if there isn't a link in the current thread, is that I go to the search field and just type in "gossip" along with the number of the next thread. Very quick and easy.

by Anonymousreply 86October 8, 2024 2:08 AM

If you dim the lights for everybody, it means nothing. In my opinion. It should only be done for legends like Julie Andrews, Liza Minnelli, Bernadette, Patti LuPone. Gavin just gets in maybe because of how beloved he was across the whole community..

by Anonymousreply 87October 8, 2024 2:11 AM

"Beloved" is relative.

by Anonymousreply 88October 8, 2024 2:21 AM

Dimming the lights (to think about you) should really be a striking and noticeable change; that just isn't possible in a Manhattan that only gets louder and brighter with each passing year.

by Anonymousreply 89October 8, 2024 2:36 AM

[quote]It should only be done for legends like Julie Andrews, Liza Minnelli, Bernadette, Patti LuPone.

And Helen Lawson, of course.

by Anonymousreply 90October 8, 2024 2:41 AM

[quote]Even if numerous late theatre artists were honored with the dimming of theater lights, who would determine who made the cut?

Now you know what we go through every year!

by Anonymousreply 91October 8, 2024 2:45 AM

[quote]If you dim the lights for everybody, it means nothing. In my opinion. It should only be done for legends like Julie Andrews, Liza Minnelli, Bernadette, Patti LuPone. Gavin just gets in maybe because of how beloved he was across the whole community.

But then you get into these back-and-forths about who was more "beloved" than others, which I don't think would solve the problem.

by Anonymousreply 92October 8, 2024 2:48 AM

Were the lights dimmed for the most beloved megawatt Tony nominee and host Bonnie Franklin?

by Anonymousreply 93October 8, 2024 2:50 AM

[quote]But what about when you're saying Theater or Theatre is really going through some rough patches. As spoken of as an institution, Theatre seems more apt to me.

No offense intended, but I really don't see much logic in this. "Theater" works quite well in reference to the institution. Does "theatre" seem more apt because it looks fancier?

by Anonymousreply 94October 8, 2024 3:01 AM

^^^I think that's the reason, silly though it may be, why some people feel that way.

by Anonymousreply 95October 8, 2024 3:03 AM

Theatres were spelled theatre.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96October 8, 2024 3:06 AM

[quote]How about the stage managers, costume people, designers, long time ushers...anyone who has been working consistently on Broadway and making it run. Why are they not included?

It's the exception rather than the rule, r49, but set designer Robin Wagner and lighting designer Tharon Musser were both honored.

[quote]And everyone thought bottom-feeder Char St. Martin was a holy terror. The entire League is populated by imbeciles.

Oh, she was, r52 - and they are. A bunch of self-important assholes. I still wonder why Charlotte St Martin "stepped down" rather suddenly earlier this year. There's been an "interim president", Jason somebody, ever since.

There's got to be a story behind that.

by Anonymousreply 97October 8, 2024 3:13 AM

Who were Gavin’s boyfriends?

by Anonymousreply 98October 8, 2024 3:30 AM

R78, American English is generally more conservative than British English. Its spelling and pronunciations tend to be more like English centuries ago than modern British English, probably because the original, east-coast colonies developed virtually as an island, whereas Britain always had the same contact with Europe, and France in particular, that California has with Mexico. In British English, the changes would have started as either/or words, and then solidified as what they are now. Shakespeare plays probably would have sounded more like today's Americans were speaking than today's Brits. Except they wouldn't have had vocal fry.

by Anonymousreply 99October 8, 2024 3:38 AM

Not me, R98! I eat pussy!

by Anonymousreply 100October 8, 2024 3:42 AM

R55 Unfortunately Ramin seems to be losing his looks. Just saw him in A Face in the Crowd in London and he was not looking as handsome as I remembered. He kept all his clothes on as well so no idea if he’s still as fit as he was. Didn’t help that the show itself was meh at best.

by Anonymousreply 101October 8, 2024 3:43 AM

Ramin’s trashy tattoos are best covered up by clothing.

by Anonymousreply 102October 8, 2024 3:45 AM

He's hideous.

by Anonymousreply 103October 8, 2024 3:46 AM

But of course this word didn't originate as the French "théâtre" or the Italian "teatro" or "theater" -- it's originally the ancient Greek word θέατρον.

For me it's "theater" in America, "theatre" in England. Your mileage will inevitably vary.

by Anonymousreply 104October 8, 2024 3:46 AM

And how are your looks holding up, r101?

by Anonymousreply 105October 8, 2024 4:13 AM

I wonder what happened with the wife. He used to post about her all the time on social media….but then he stopped. He’s never home, it seems.

Of course there were rumors of affairs with his leading ladies/chorus girls, but the wife had to have known that would be a possibility, so maybe he fell harder for a girl than just a casual fling.

by Anonymousreply 106October 8, 2024 12:52 PM

[quote]I still wonder why Charlotte St Martin "stepped down" rather suddenly earlier this year. .

I would say "very suddenly."

[quote]There's got to be a story behind that.

And because of the suddenness of her departure, I'm thinking the story could be quite juicy. I wonder if we'll ever hear or read it?

by Anonymousreply 107October 8, 2024 2:28 PM

[quote]For me it's "theater" in America, "theatre" in England.

But at least half of that statement is not true, as there are many, many cases of "theatre" being spelled that way in America, whether the word is referring to a particular venue or the theatre/theater in general. And I would imagine that has been the case ever since the establishment of theatre/theater in this country. I haven't spent enough time in England to know how consistent they are in the spelling of the word.

by Anonymousreply 108October 8, 2024 2:30 PM

Fuck you, R16!!!

by Anonymousreply 109October 8, 2024 2:35 PM

THIS DAY IN BROADWAY HISTORY: In 1979, "Sugar Babies" opened at the Mark Hellinger Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 110October 8, 2024 2:39 PM

Wanna bet, R47??

by Anonymousreply 111October 8, 2024 2:55 PM

I thought R69 died. They have the internet in Hell?

by Anonymousreply 112October 8, 2024 2:59 PM

R122-Yes, the IP address is somewhere near Tampa...oops.

by Anonymousreply 113October 8, 2024 3:23 PM

Sorry, I meant R112

by Anonymousreply 114October 8, 2024 3:24 PM

What is MikeR's real name so we can look him up?

by Anonymousreply 115October 8, 2024 5:28 PM

Cabaret had another bad week. New cast isn’t helping.

by Anonymousreply 116October 8, 2024 5:54 PM

To R116's point:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117October 8, 2024 6:53 PM

[quote]Cabaret had another bad week. New cast isn’t helping.

The fact that it stinks also isn't helping.

by Anonymousreply 118October 8, 2024 8:07 PM

[quote]And because of the suddenness of [Charlotte St Martin's] departure, I'm thinking the story could be quite juicy. I wonder if we'll ever hear or read it?

I doubt it, r107. Her tenure was a nightmare from beginning to end. She handled the strike of 2007 poorly.

How she even got the job is still a mystery. Her background was in hotels prior to becoming the president of of the Broadway League.

"Very suddenly" is indeed more accurate. I don't think much more than a month had passed, between when she announced "stepping down" and her unceremoniously departing the post she had held for nearly two decades.

The Broadway League will be no more forthcoming about this than they are about their reasoning regarding who they choose to honor with dimming the lights, and to what degree.

by Anonymousreply 119October 8, 2024 8:21 PM

[quote]But at least half of that statement is not true, as there are many, many cases of "theatre" being spelled that way in America, whether the word is referring to a particular venue or the theatre/theater in general.

It is mainly spelled 'theatre' by pretentious Americans.

R81 is correct that major U.S. publications have always spelled it 'theater' unless the place itself is spelled 'theatre' by pretentious Americans.

e.g. "Wicked, the blockbuster of musical theater, is still drawing crowds at the Gershwin Theatre over 20 years later."

by Anonymousreply 120October 8, 2024 9:09 PM

I never thought I'd say this, but if we start talking about Follies, will you girls drop the the "theatre" vs. "theater" discussion??

by Anonymousreply 121October 8, 2024 9:12 PM

r120 is pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 122October 8, 2024 9:17 PM

Re grosses:

I'm surprised Jim Parsons isn't packing them in at OUR TOWN. Only $562 million for 8 performances?

And I guess Aaron Tveit is a draw with MOULIN ROUGE grossing $1.381 million. When he was out for most of the previous week due to schedules absences, MR grossed only $1.083 million.

by Anonymousreply 123October 8, 2024 9:19 PM

At this point Jim Parsons is a bit over-exposed on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 124October 8, 2024 9:22 PM

Wicked is the only show doing over $2 million.

When do shows start making more money? November?

by Anonymousreply 125October 8, 2024 9:39 PM

WHET that ageing Miss America—the one *without* any nominations?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126October 8, 2024 9:51 PM

To add: she couldn’t act well then…or?

by Anonymousreply 127October 8, 2024 9:56 PM

Sutton and Urie both out of Mattress tonite.

by Anonymousreply 128October 8, 2024 10:06 PM

Uric acid stains the sheets. Bedwetters!

by Anonymousreply 129October 8, 2024 10:14 PM

At least it’s not Wes Tay Tay and his “Chipotle sheets” from the D.C run of Cabaret.

by Anonymousreply 130October 8, 2024 11:26 PM

I just watched Isaac Cole Powell on the new HBO series Franchise.

WEHT Wes Taylor?

by Anonymousreply 131October 9, 2024 12:00 AM

He was on Only Murders in the Building last season. He also was in the off-Broadway Assassins.

by Anonymousreply 132October 9, 2024 12:06 AM

Theater - American & German spelling

Theatre - British/European spelling.

One's not "fancier" than the other. It's just spelled different from country to country.

by Anonymousreply 133October 9, 2024 12:45 AM

Great. I hope we can now put "theatre" and "theater" to rest.

by Anonymousreply 134October 9, 2024 12:48 AM

[quote]The Broadway League will be no more forthcoming about this than they are about their reasoning regarding who they choose to honor with dimming the lights, and to what degree.

I certainly agree with you that the League will not be any more forthcoming about this in terms of any official statement, but that doesn't mean the true story won't leak in one way or another :-)

by Anonymousreply 135October 9, 2024 1:14 AM

[quote]I'm surprised Jim Parsons isn't packing them in at OUR TOWN. Only $562 million for 8 performances?

Do you wanna try that again?

by Anonymousreply 136October 9, 2024 1:18 AM

[quote]At this point Jim Parsons is a bit over-exposed on Broadway.

"Our Town" has nudity now?

by Anonymousreply 137October 9, 2024 1:37 AM

[quote]for what it's worth, most Germanic languages spell it 'theater'

It’s not worth much. Kindly fuck off, asshole. We believe in tradition here at DL, and tradition ordains that our theatre threads spell it theatre.

by Anonymousreply 138October 9, 2024 1:57 AM

TRADITION! Tradition!

by Anonymousreply 139October 9, 2024 2:07 AM

Oh what a dream!

by Anonymousreply 140October 9, 2024 2:11 AM

Only Tovah has what it takes to play Golde Rose in:

GYPSY IN YIDDISH!!!

by Anonymousreply 141October 9, 2024 2:27 AM

Worst thread ever?

by Anonymousreply 142October 9, 2024 2:49 AM

Isn’t this Aaron‘s last week in Moulin Rouge before the notebook guy takes over? Those girls must realize this will probably be his last stent. He’s been to the rouge three or four times now, right?

by Anonymousreply 143October 9, 2024 3:07 AM

[quote]He’s been to the rouge three or four times now, right?

Those in the know call it the mou.

by Anonymousreply 144October 9, 2024 3:11 AM

I believe Gavin dated Andrew Rannells and Jonathan Groff at different times.

by Anonymousreply 145October 9, 2024 3:26 AM

The only thing that could get me to spend a Tuesday night, seeing that mattress without Sutton or Urie would be to avoid a lengthy discussion of the spelling of theatre versus theater

by Anonymousreply 146October 9, 2024 3:39 AM

R108, the first part of my statement was "for me." I wasn't saying that all Americans only use the "theater" spelling.

by Anonymousreply 147October 9, 2024 3:45 AM

r135 Leak to who/where though? Riedel would've been all over, but no-one is covering Broadway like that any more.

by Anonymousreply 148October 9, 2024 10:24 AM

Say what you will about Riedel, he was entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 149October 9, 2024 12:08 PM

Jonathan Groff Confirms Bobby Darin Broadway Musical For Spring 2025:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150October 9, 2024 1:02 PM

But who will be Sandra Dee?

Who will be Connie Francis??

by Anonymousreply 151October 9, 2024 1:38 PM

R150 I think this is a mistake. He was roundly given praise and the Tony for Merrily last season. Coming back so soon in a bad jukebox musical seems like a poor choice.

by Anonymousreply 152October 9, 2024 1:57 PM

I would go see a Bobby Darin musical if it has the part about Bobby being announced at a nightclub and as he walked on Sandy would say: "Your toupee is on crooked."

by Anonymousreply 153October 9, 2024 2:35 PM

Poor Groff is going to get roasted for this. He couldn't be further from Bobby Darin and he's not a great actor. Expecting cringe. Betting he won't even be nominated for a Tony.

by Anonymousreply 154October 9, 2024 2:35 PM

Hugh Jackman Sets 12-Show Monthly Concert Series At Radio City Music Hall:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155October 9, 2024 2:38 PM

I fear Alex Timbers and his crew will be lost attempting to interpret the appeal of Bobby Darin who was dead and mostly forgotten long before they were born.

by Anonymousreply 156October 9, 2024 2:42 PM

This will rival Ben Platt's residency at Carnegie Hall!

by Anonymousreply 157October 9, 2024 2:43 PM

Joy Woods IS Sandra Dee!

by Anonymousreply 158October 9, 2024 2:53 PM

Billy Porter *IS* Diana Ross in a dramatic scene where Diana and Bobby plan to star in the first iteration of the Bodyguard movie in the early 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 159October 9, 2024 3:06 PM

[quote]But who will be Sandra Dee?

[quote]Who will be Connie Francis??

Who will be: "I'm your mother -- I'm your sister -- I'm your mother -- I'm your sister!"

by Anonymousreply 160October 9, 2024 3:11 PM

Would the one-two punch of Louis Armtrong and Bobby Darrin both flopping put a stop to the jukebox biomusicals for a while? I feel like the well is running dry. Does the Matt Doyle-lead Sinatra musical still have its sights on Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 161October 9, 2024 3:17 PM

The Broadway League should dim the lights for this thread.

I blame OP.

by Anonymousreply 162October 9, 2024 3:21 PM

I'm 55 and I don't know who Bobby Darin is. It's a name I recognize, but mostly because Kevin Spacey played him in a movie no one saw and I remember him getting a Globe nod for it.

So who exactly IS the audience for this show? What age group?

Groff has his fans, but I don't think they're gonna flock to this.

by Anonymousreply 163October 9, 2024 3:26 PM

Bobby? Been there. Done that.

by Anonymousreply 164October 9, 2024 3:31 PM

SHRIMP BOATS!

*The Jo Stafford Musical*

by Anonymousreply 165October 9, 2024 3:39 PM

Patti LuPone IS Patti Page!

by Anonymousreply 166October 9, 2024 3:57 PM

Groff's fans flocked to an earlier version of this Bobby Darin show when it was done at the 92Y a few years ago, but of course, that was only for three or four performances total.

by Anonymousreply 167October 9, 2024 4:06 PM

Well, at least one of his hits was a show tune.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168October 9, 2024 4:08 PM

^^^Umm, "Mack the Knife" was also a show tune :-)

by Anonymousreply 169October 9, 2024 4:17 PM

Indeed, r169.

by Anonymousreply 170October 9, 2024 4:39 PM

Who else deserves a jukebox musical? Stevie Wonder, for sure. Rosie Clooney? Bing? Connie Francis?

Some have had jukebox movies (Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, the Cashes et al.)

by Anonymousreply 171October 9, 2024 4:56 PM

Cooper Koch to play Frankie Avalon in a Broadway jukebox misical produced by Ryan Murphy. You read it here first.

by Anonymousreply 172October 9, 2024 5:02 PM

With the right creative team and vision, I think a musical adaptation of Wuthering Heights with Kate Bush songs could be effective. The 11 o'clock number is built right in, and a good book could contextualize the other songs.

by Anonymousreply 173October 9, 2024 5:05 PM

All kidding aside, assuming she's a character in the show, I wonder if a few of Connie Francis' biggest hits will find their way into the Bobby Darin show.

Who's Sorry Now?, Stupid Cupid, Lipstick on Your Collar and Where the Boys Are, among others, were all huge popular hits (spanning generations) when she first sang them.

by Anonymousreply 174October 9, 2024 5:56 PM

Monday's episode of Dancing with the Stars teased a Soul Train musical.

by Anonymousreply 175October 9, 2024 6:02 PM

That adorable Olympic medal winning gymnast Steve is the only reason I’m back to watching DWTS.

by Anonymousreply 176October 9, 2024 6:23 PM

Groff's early Darin effort was perfectly fine because the songs are great. It's just that he isn't Darin and never will be. And as I recall, just an inflated night club act, not a strict bio. Agree that it probably won't work.

by Anonymousreply 177October 9, 2024 7:03 PM

He’s a Darrin, not a Darin.

by Anonymousreply 178October 9, 2024 7:05 PM

R178 is very proud of himself, thinking he’s witty. Maybe in Cleveland. Maybe.

by Anonymousreply 179October 9, 2024 7:09 PM

A Bing Crosby musical better have a nice beat.

by Anonymousreply 180October 9, 2024 7:10 PM

Well only dim a few of the posts, R162. Because were cunts.

by Anonymousreply 181October 9, 2024 7:13 PM

I just felt like listening to it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182October 9, 2024 7:14 PM

R157, I PRAY you mean the Palace.

by Anonymousreply 183October 9, 2024 7:15 PM

Speaking of Lindsay Mendez R152), she was married to her third husband (and father of her second child) earlier this year. Shouldn’t she be readying for divorce #3, by now?

by Anonymousreply 184October 9, 2024 7:17 PM

How *did* Ben's gig at the Palace end up doing?

by Anonymousreply 185October 9, 2024 7:20 PM

If Mamaleh Were Married, R141?

by Anonymousreply 186October 9, 2024 7:20 PM

The staff is still picking acrylic nails and shoulder hair outta the carpet, R185.

by Anonymousreply 187October 9, 2024 7:20 PM

I mean financially, r187.

by Anonymousreply 188October 9, 2024 7:26 PM

R184 and OP are hoping for another endless round of jokes about Lindsay Mendez missing performances.

by Anonymousreply 189October 9, 2024 7:27 PM

On Alex timbers's IG he says they're transforming Circle in the Square ("Circle," to those who use the shorthands) into an intimate immersive nightclub

by Anonymousreply 190October 9, 2024 8:04 PM

It’s a basement attached to a parking garage. Meh. If only we could get rid of the constant flow of nasty Wicked stans next door.

by Anonymousreply 191October 9, 2024 8:14 PM

Broadway To Dim All Lights For Gavin Creel, Maggie Smith & Adrian Bailey; League to Review Policy:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192October 9, 2024 8:16 PM

A Modest Proposal.

That works. ^

by Anonymousreply 193October 9, 2024 8:19 PM

And what about Ken Page?

by Anonymousreply 194October 9, 2024 8:38 PM

Oh I like that, r192...but yes, add Ken Page.

by Anonymousreply 195October 9, 2024 8:50 PM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 196October 9, 2024 8:50 PM

R154- he is an incredible versatile actor who can pretty much do anything in any medium. You sound like the people who said Audra was all wrong to play Billie Holliday.

by Anonymousreply 197October 9, 2024 9:24 PM

If you’re 55 and don’t know who Bobby Darin is, you’re an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 198October 9, 2024 9:26 PM

You’re funny!

by Anonymousreply 199October 9, 2024 9:27 PM

I'm 56 and I know who Bobby Darin is, but I am not the least bit familiar with him other than knowing the titles of a couple of his songs, that he was married to Sandra Dee and that he died early.

by Anonymousreply 200October 9, 2024 10:06 PM

WHAT THE FUCK?! Why would they leave out Ken Page? What is wrong with these people?

by Anonymousreply 201October 9, 2024 10:16 PM

Sandra ran away from her abusive mother to marry Bobby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202October 9, 2024 10:19 PM

r200, you've pretty much summed up all there is to know about Bobby Darin. And it's not interesting enough to fashion a musical. But perhaps interesting enough for a nightclub revue which is all ticket buyers will get for their hard-earned money.

by Anonymousreply 203October 9, 2024 10:43 PM

Warren Leight is at least the 5th writer to take a crack at writing the book for the Darin musical.

by Anonymousreply 204October 9, 2024 10:45 PM

I'm in my mid 20s, and I know who Bobby Darin was.

I'm also the Jerome Kern Troll, so I'm probably not exactly representative of other 20 somethings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205October 9, 2024 10:49 PM

Sorry, r203, but we're using it in SHRIMP BOATS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206October 9, 2024 10:59 PM

I saw a reading of the Darrin thing. Groff is terribly miscast. Zero swagger.

by Anonymousreply 207October 10, 2024 12:08 AM

Did anyone notice he was missing?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208October 10, 2024 12:45 AM

LOVE you Kern Troll! Don't stop posting and linking. xoxoxo

by Anonymousreply 209October 10, 2024 12:49 AM

The thing is, with Bobby Darin mostly forgotten by everyone under 70, will Groff even attempt to recreate his style?

by Anonymousreply 210October 10, 2024 12:50 AM

"Our Town"? Again?

Now with goofy colorblind casting! I mean, it's so ludicrous as New Hampshire has practically zero black residents, and I used to live there, I know. What would Thornton Wilder think of this one wonders? It's bad enough that nearly every production misses the New England accent joke written into the homework scene, but now by dint of casting it is forced to be a play it isn't. I'm sure it will be a hit.

As soon as the colorblind Dreamgirls opens on Broadway I'll pipe down!

by Anonymousreply 211October 10, 2024 2:14 AM

I understand your post is supposed to be satire, R211, but didn't we beat that horse to death in the last thread?

Bringing it up now, apropos of nothing, is just giving countenance to a repetitive and BORING discussion.

by Anonymousreply 212October 10, 2024 2:18 AM

Someone posted the following on ATC, the the tradition of dimming (or turning off) the lights of Broadway in memory of deceased artists:

[quote]Why are they making this simple issue so complex? It should always be all theaters. Partial makes no sense and I find it disrespectful to the Broadway community. As for who should make the decisions on who to dim the lights for? Well, I think it should be a group of well-known actors, directors, choreographers, playwrights, composers and lyricists. Throw in a few theater fans to keep them all in check. I volunteer as tribute. :-)

Oh, sure. And if such a group were formed, THEY would be the ones who'd have to face the backlash if they ever decided that the lights should NOT be dimmed for any particular person. So there would still be a backlash, it would just be aimed at a different group.

This proves that It's usually simple-minded people who think they have come up with simple answers for complex questions about which there is much controversy and disagreement.

by Anonymousreply 213October 10, 2024 2:29 AM

This article is the first I've heard/read that Brody Grant has been out of THE OUTSIDERS for about a month (and will soon be returning). No reason is given here for his extended absence. I remember some vague gossip here that there was some sort of issue at THE OUTSIDERS. No details were ever given, but do we think there was any truth to that gossip, and that his absence is somehow related to it?

by Anonymousreply 214October 10, 2024 2:41 AM

Of course there’s a connection —-

by Anonymousreply 215October 10, 2024 2:43 AM

People still go to ATC? That site is still a thing?

by Anonymousreply 216October 10, 2024 2:48 AM

^^^Sorry, I forgot to post the link to the article in question. See below. The article includes the following:

[quote]Reps did not give a reason for Grant’s extended absence but said in a statement, “‘The Outsiders’ is a very demanding project. He needed time away and is returning next week. As with any long-running shows, our performers regularly take time away, when needed, to recharge and reset.”

Yeah, but (1) when the lead of a show is going to be out for an indefinite period, this should be publicized rather than kept secret; and (2) at the time when Grant's month-long hiatus began, the show had only been running about six months. The necessity for performers to "recharge and reset" is usually taken care of by scheduled vacations and, of course, sick days. If someone needs to take an entire month off six months into a show's run, there's something wrong somewhere. But again, maybe that's not the real reason.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217October 10, 2024 2:50 AM

[quote] Speaking of Lindsay Mendez [R152]), she was married to her third husband (and father of her second child) earlier this year. Shouldn’t she be readying for divorce #3, by now?

Did they dim the lights for her two previous marriages?

by Anonymousreply 218October 10, 2024 3:38 AM

[quote] Warren Leight is at least the 5th writer to take a crack at writing the book for the Darin musical.

He did wonders for Leap of Fatih

by Anonymousreply 219October 10, 2024 3:40 AM

[quote]Bringing it up now, apropos of nothing...

Newsflash- Our Town just opened on Broadway, so apropos of that actually.

Who died and left you hall monitor?

by Anonymousreply 220October 10, 2024 4:05 AM

Emily?

by Anonymousreply 221October 10, 2024 4:10 AM

[quote]And what about Ken Page?

Theaters will be brightening their lights for him, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 222October 10, 2024 9:04 AM

Why didn’t Karen Ziemba replace Brody for the month? She’s always ready, no?

by Anonymousreply 223October 10, 2024 12:07 PM

Groff used a lot of Darin's phrasing and style n the Y show. As well he should. It was Darin's personality that made him a star, not just the hit songs.

by Anonymousreply 224October 10, 2024 12:18 PM

Groff will be more Sargent thank York.

by Anonymousreply 225October 10, 2024 12:31 PM

R198,

I'm far from an idiot. I will not deign to defend myself in this grand forum, nor feel the need to, but I will ask: Why would a 55-year-old necessarily know Bobby Darin? Or need to?

As I said in my initial post, I knew he'd been played by Kevin Spacey in BEYOND THE SEA, so I knew he was a famous singer in his day, but not much beyond that.

He died in 1973, when I was 4 years old. Most pop songs have limited lives beyond their generational impact (though of course I know "Splish Splash"), none of his films have really been kept in the cultural conversation in my lifetime, and because he died at such a young age, and so long ago, he's just not that well-known these days to anyone under 60.

Please note I'm not saying he's not worth knowing. One benefit of having an excellent biographical Broadway musical of his life could be that he will be introduced to so many who aren't aware of him and his legacy beyond his name. But that will only work if the musical is any good and gets good notices that encourages audiences to come. The Darin name won't be enough; Groff might be.

by Anonymousreply 226October 10, 2024 1:21 PM

[quote]I will not deign to defend myself in this grand forum, nor feel the need to

And yet you continually do.

by Anonymousreply 227October 10, 2024 1:27 PM

Oh the shark, babe, has such teeth, dear...

by Anonymousreply 228October 10, 2024 1:38 PM

R211, as Thorton Wilder was known to be a homosexualist, I’m sure he wouldn’t mind the diversity.

by Anonymousreply 229October 10, 2024 1:52 PM

Bobby Darin was considered a Sinatra manque at first. But he had a good voice, warm and expressive, and his own early-‘60s hipster style. It’s worth checking out his recordings if you like that kind of singing and songs from that period (I do).

But I don’t see a successful musical being made from his life. I guess the hook is that his bad heart was a shadow hanging over him which eventually took him too young. And he had a turbulent childhood and adolescence as did wife Sandra Dee, who had been sexually molested by her stepfather since childhood, then became a teen movie star overnight. You can imagine them bonding over their respective horror stories. But it seems like a slim premise for a full musical. More like something Ryan Murphy would do as a miniseries, complete with explicit flashbacks.

by Anonymousreply 230October 10, 2024 1:53 PM

[quote]Groff used a lot of Darin's phrasing and style n the Y show.

I didn't necessarily notice him doing that, maybe only occasionally.

[quote]As well he should. It was Darin's personality that made him a star, not just the hit songs.

And what some people are saying is that Groff, as much as we love him, is nothing like Darin in terms of personality, not to mention looks and style of singing.

by Anonymousreply 231October 10, 2024 1:59 PM

Bobby was a terrible actor.

by Anonymousreply 232October 10, 2024 2:45 PM

Thanks R183......of course I meant The Palace.

Bobby Darin grew up thinking his mother was his sister......

by Anonymousreply 233October 10, 2024 2:47 PM

R233. That's nuts

by Anonymousreply 234October 10, 2024 2:48 PM

[quote] Why would a 55-year-old necessarily know Bobby Darin? Or need to?

Truly why does anyone [italic] need [/italic] to know anything?

by Anonymousreply 235October 10, 2024 3:14 PM

^^^The thought is that lots of people will have no interest in buying tickets to a show about someone who is completely unfamiliar to them and in whom they have no interest. And for a Broadway show to be successful, it has to have very broad appeal.

by Anonymousreply 236October 10, 2024 3:19 PM

[quote] The thought is that lots of people will have no interest in buying tickets to a show about someone who is completely unfamiliar to them and in whom they have no interest.

I see.

by Anonymousreply 237October 10, 2024 4:07 PM

Good point, R237, but I think all of those shows were very different situations. And P.S., GREY GARDENS the musical was not a long-running hit.

by Anonymousreply 238October 10, 2024 4:20 PM

Maybe in keeping with making OUR TOWN for a "now" and "with it" audience, Jim Parsons should wear his red Flash t-shirt as the Stage Manager.

by Anonymousreply 239October 10, 2024 5:07 PM

Anyone see LEFT ON TENTH? It has "flop" written all over it.

by Anonymousreply 240October 10, 2024 6:03 PM

It seems like such a meh idea, but I'll bet it would have done gangbusters if we still had a thriving dinner theater scene nationally.

by Anonymousreply 241October 10, 2024 6:11 PM

Would Bobbie Darin have been a Ben or a Buddy?

by Anonymousreply 242October 10, 2024 6:16 PM

Buddy

by Anonymousreply 243October 10, 2024 6:21 PM

Yes! Could have been a great Buddy!

by Anonymousreply 244October 10, 2024 6:44 PM

Bobby Darin as Buddy. Connie Francis as Sally. Tab Hunter as Ben. Connie Stevens as Phyllis. But who's Carlotta?

by Anonymousreply 245October 10, 2024 6:54 PM

Left on Tenth and The Roommate seem like the kind of plays Broadway hosted back in the 70's and 80s. And I mean that fondly.

by Anonymousreply 246October 10, 2024 6:55 PM

Paula Prentiss is a Phyllis. Connie Stevens is a DeeDee.

by Anonymousreply 247October 10, 2024 6:56 PM

[quote]Bobby Darin as Buddy. Connie Francis as Sally. Tab Hunter as Ben. Connie Stevens as Phyllis. But who's Carlotta?

Kaye Ballard

by Anonymousreply 248October 10, 2024 7:01 PM

[quote]But who's Carlotta?

Connie Ford, of course.

by Anonymousreply 249October 10, 2024 7:07 PM

Our Town has flop written all over it.

by Anonymousreply 250October 10, 2024 7:08 PM

That Bobby Darin movie was so strange—a biopic of someone long gone from the public’s imagination, starring someone way too old for the part.

by Anonymousreply 251October 10, 2024 7:13 PM

R240 I saw it last week, and it’s a nothing of a play. No real conflict or drama. The actors made the most they could out of flat material and there is one very affecting scene that uses Barbara Cook’s “Ship in a Bottle” beautifully but it works because of how great that performance is, not because of any connection to the characters/material. Totally skippable unless you’re a huge fan of Marguiles or Gallagher.

by Anonymousreply 252October 10, 2024 7:14 PM

It was a vanity project, r251.

by Anonymousreply 253October 10, 2024 7:14 PM

[quote]Left on Tenth and The Roommate seem like the kind of plays Broadway hosted back in the 70's and 80s. And I mean that fondly.

There's nothing wrong with that kind of play as long as they're well written, which The Roommate is not. (I haven't yet seen Left on Tenth.)

by Anonymousreply 254October 10, 2024 7:31 PM

If you’re headed west, you can’t turn left on 10th.

by Anonymousreply 255October 10, 2024 7:40 PM

Is the reference in the play's title to 10th Avenue, or 10th Street? I was told it's the latter.

by Anonymousreply 256October 10, 2024 7:44 PM

If that’s true this shit is even dumber than I imagined. No one in Manhattan would leave out “street” where there’s an avenue of the same ordinal number.

by Anonymousreply 257October 10, 2024 7:49 PM

Like that famous comedy: “Prisoner of Second”

by Anonymousreply 258October 10, 2024 7:52 PM

R226- you must noT know who Judy Garland is. After all she died years before you were born.

by Anonymousreply 259October 10, 2024 8:43 PM

R256 It is 10th St

by Anonymousreply 260October 10, 2024 8:45 PM

Bad title, then. A good thing: I tossed the coupon into the recycle box of my floor’s service vestibule.

by Anonymousreply 261October 10, 2024 8:49 PM

[quote]as Thorton Wilder was known to be a homosexualist, I’m sure he wouldn’t mind the diversity.

I do mind the misspelling of my name on DL.

by Anonymousreply 262October 10, 2024 8:50 PM

A NYer would not say “left on” re a one-way crosstown street. You’d just say “turn on.”

by Anonymousreply 263October 10, 2024 8:51 PM

Still trying to figure out a Stevie Wonder musical would work. Present a capsulized version of his life, graft a new story on to the songs or just present his astounding catalog of music?

by Anonymousreply 264October 10, 2024 8:52 PM

[quote]Ephron was born in New York City

[quote]writer, dog lover, pizza lover, New Yorker 🖋 🐶🍕🗽Left on Tenth my new memoir out now

Ah DL, wrong as ever

by Anonymousreply 265October 10, 2024 9:00 PM

Tenth what, Nora? You write like a tourist.

by Anonymousreply 266October 10, 2024 9:11 PM

Delia, sorry

by Anonymousreply 267October 10, 2024 9:12 PM

She: “The only way to get home from Fifth Avenue or Seventh Avenue is to turn left on Tenth Street, which is one-way west to east…”. See what she did there?

She never thought of Sixth Ave?. Her taking literary license in the title is subpar—this will flop!

by Anonymousreply 268October 10, 2024 9:17 PM

Is anyone a member of Manhattan Theatre club? Someone said they got an email that single tickets go on sale for Old Friends on October 23. Can someone confirm?

by Anonymousreply 269October 10, 2024 10:00 PM

I’m not a member but I got the email today.

by Anonymousreply 270October 10, 2024 10:04 PM

R240 I found it to be a slog shipped direct from the Hallmark channel. Margulies spends the first 20 minutes giving a TED Talk about her character's struggle with Verizon (this after Verizon hold music, complete with "All of our representatives are currently assisting other customers" announcements, played incessantly during the pre-show), followed by half an hour of Margulies and Gallagher sitting on desks reading emails to each other. What remains are some (admittedly cute) dogs, 90s romcom tropes, and a dark tonal shift at the end that feels icky and undeserved given the saccharine slop we had to trudge through to get there. To top things off, they didn't make any effort to get creative with their legacy Playbill designs.

by Anonymousreply 271October 10, 2024 10:08 PM

[quote]single tickets...for Old Friends

Ironic

by Anonymousreply 272October 10, 2024 10:28 PM

“ and a dark tonal shift at the end that feels icky…”So that’s where the turn is? Asking a friend.

Why not “Left on Iccky Shift”? R271

by Anonymousreply 273October 10, 2024 10:35 PM

Posting this not just for the content of the article but for the interesting comments left by readers:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274October 10, 2024 11:29 PM

DL thread merges into NYT thread! Who would of thought?

I bet whiners here regret canceling their subscription now. 🙃

by Anonymousreply 275October 10, 2024 11:39 PM

*have not “of”

by Anonymousreply 276October 10, 2024 11:40 PM

[quote] I bet whiners here regret canceling their subscription now.

R275, you actually think THAT would change my opinion of the Times, and its sane-washing of Trump and its cynical clickbait of playing two sides, downplaying the Democrats in favor of the GOP, or whichever way the wind blows, in order to make the most revenue?

No. Some story about dimming lights doesn't come close to the journalistic crimes of the Times.

by Anonymousreply 277October 10, 2024 11:51 PM

R270 thank you. Did it happen to say what time?

by Anonymousreply 278October 11, 2024 12:04 AM

R277 you ate a living parody…in action. Bless you.

by Anonymousreply 279October 11, 2024 12:21 AM

And you are one, too ;)

by Anonymousreply 280October 11, 2024 12:22 AM

Really, R279? Explain how.

by Anonymousreply 281October 11, 2024 12:32 AM

[quote] you ate a living parody

Oh, and by the way, oh dear, R279.

by Anonymousreply 282October 11, 2024 12:33 AM

You oh dear something that was already corrected. There’s your parody at work—that’s how so.

by Anonymousreply 283October 11, 2024 12:35 AM

I miss the Theatre Gossip threads not devolving into puerile goo.

by Anonymousreply 284October 11, 2024 12:39 AM

Where exactly was it corrected, R283?

A parody is someone lke you who favors banality over real issues.

by Anonymousreply 285October 11, 2024 12:41 AM

Yes, it was corrected at R280.

Let's go back to actual substance, if you can. How was my criticism of the Times inaccurate?

by Anonymousreply 286October 11, 2024 12:43 AM

I guess r280 was over your head….as you seemed busy with stomping your feet at the NYT. You can’t make this shit up…but you keep posting. To your heart’s content…bless.

by Anonymousreply 287October 11, 2024 12:44 AM

So, R287, you continue to deflect being asked about any criticism of the Times. And you accuse others of being paltry intellectually. Right, Mary. As you say, you can't make this shit up. Dumb cunt.

by Anonymousreply 288October 11, 2024 12:48 AM

One last time. The joke was based on r274: to wit, if you could read the comments on the NYT article then you might note the irony of how it seemed much like a DL thread. But you, apparently, can’t; you immediately got your back up and rehashed an old DL complaint about the NYT itself. You skipped the fun part and went straight to the dullard part…as if you were writing a parody post.

by Anonymousreply 289October 11, 2024 1:02 AM

R289 has long been banished from my sight. But she can continue to fuck herself.

by Anonymousreply 290October 11, 2024 1:04 AM

😘

by Anonymousreply 291October 11, 2024 1:06 AM

The beauty of blocking your stalker is that you can't see them. One of the few saving graces to DL.

by Anonymousreply 292October 11, 2024 1:14 AM

Plot twist: the blocker was the one stalking the blockee.

by Anonymousreply 293October 11, 2024 1:23 AM

I see she's still going at it without having to see her. Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 294October 11, 2024 1:27 AM

Understudy on for Joe in Sunset Blvd tonite.

by Anonymousreply 295October 11, 2024 1:56 AM

Excuse me, r295, you're interrupting the Bickersons.

by Anonymousreply 296October 11, 2024 2:23 AM

R296. Yes. I know. :)

by Anonymousreply 297October 11, 2024 2:24 AM

The Bs...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298October 11, 2024 2:33 AM

What exactly is it that you two get off on with this back-and-forth? It’s like you’re beating your tiny little hands against the bars of the prison of your pathetic impotence. . It’s like you’re dueling Miss Havishams, your Getting Away With Murder t-shirts in hopeless tatters, stained with your Similac drools. banging away on your crusty keyboards, yelling into the voids that are your lives.

by Anonymousreply 299October 11, 2024 2:40 AM

[quote]But who's Carlotta?

Constance Ford.

by Anonymousreply 300October 11, 2024 2:43 AM

r249 beat me to the best reply ever, lol.

Dataloungers think alike!

by Anonymousreply 301October 11, 2024 2:44 AM

[quote]Thorton Wilder was known to be a homosexualist

Oh my! Did his son Gene know?

by Anonymousreply 302October 11, 2024 3:09 AM

They’re eating your dogs!

They’re eating your cats!

And now -

They ate a living parody!!

by Anonymousreply 303October 11, 2024 3:18 AM

[quote] They’re eating your cats!

I lobve to eat pussy!

by Anonymousreply 304October 11, 2024 3:24 AM

*I love to

by Anonymousreply 305October 11, 2024 3:25 AM

Did Vulva Toadstool ever play Carlotta? And flash her panties?

by Anonymousreply 306October 11, 2024 3:34 AM

Notice how The New York Times spells 'theater' at R274

by Anonymousreply 307October 11, 2024 4:46 AM

Fuck off, r307.

by Anonymousreply 308October 11, 2024 6:40 AM

A rave review

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309October 11, 2024 9:33 AM

I can't believe Jesse gave this very average production a rave. Between this and his rave for "Elephants" and "Suffs" he's really losing it...

by Anonymousreply 310October 11, 2024 10:03 AM

All the fraus in the Broadway Remembered group (on FB) are OBSESSED with Suffs. Are they the ones keeping that show open? Anytime someone on there asks for a recommendation -- even if the poster mentions a shortlist of shows they're considering which does NOT include Suffs -- they flood the comments with Suffs recommendations.

by Anonymousreply 311October 11, 2024 10:47 AM

There are multiple bitchy call outs to Jesse Greene’s taste in the early comments to his review. Good gun!

by Anonymousreply 312October 11, 2024 10:51 AM

*fun

by Anonymousreply 313October 11, 2024 10:51 AM

THIS DAY IN BROADWAY HISTORY: In 1915, a revival of "Sherlock Holmes" opened at the Empire Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 314October 11, 2024 3:03 PM

Broadway Dancer Zelig Williams Missing In South Carolina; Hugh Jackman Appeals For Help:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315October 11, 2024 6:07 PM

He’s chained to a radiator, in the basement.

Spoiler: Hugh is the kidnapper!

by Anonymousreply 316October 11, 2024 6:09 PM

Zelig?

Where?!

by Anonymousreply 317October 11, 2024 6:10 PM

How were the Stroman dance transitions in Left On Tenth?

by Anonymousreply 318October 11, 2024 7:03 PM

They took a wrong turn downstage

by Anonymousreply 319October 11, 2024 7:09 PM

Did we talk about the "Stereophonic" lawsuit yet? I had heard of the legal rumblings but didn't know until today that a lawsuit was filed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320October 11, 2024 7:34 PM

R320 can’t follow a thread, much less a legal battle…..

TL; DR—the lawsuit is going its own way: it will break no chain.

by Anonymousreply 321October 11, 2024 7:37 PM

When we had a truly memorable number in a musical, primarily talking about the staging here. The big fight in The Outsiders is pretty original and very striking. I remember nothing choreograph in hell’s kitchen, Spamalot, once upon a mattress, this Cabaret etc etc., or anything else going back a couple of seasons.

by Anonymousreply 322October 11, 2024 8:10 PM

[Italic] Let me try that again with proofreading

When was the last time we had a truly memorable number in a musical? I’m primarily talking about the staging here. The big fight in The Outsiders is pretty original and very striking. I remember nothing choreographically in Hell’s Kitchen , Spamalot, Once Upon a Mattress, this Cabaret etc etc., or anything else, even going back a couple of seasons.

by Anonymousreply 323October 11, 2024 8:18 PM

[quote]When was the last time we had a truly memorable number in a musical?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324October 11, 2024 8:58 PM

The interlude in Kenny Leon’s Our Town? Too soon?!

by Anonymousreply 325October 11, 2024 9:26 PM

NT's Carousel opening...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326October 11, 2024 9:34 PM

Yes we know

by Anonymousreply 327October 11, 2024 9:43 PM

OK, what's the tea?

JAMES MORGAN STEPS DOWN AS PRODUCING ARTISTIC DIRECTOR AT THE YORK THEATRE COMPANY

JAMES MORGAN STEPS DOWN AS PRODUCING ARTISTIC DIRECTOR AT THE YORK THEATRE COMPANY

New York, NY (October 11, 2024) – The York Theatre Company (Marie Grace LaFerrara, Executive Director) has announced that long-time York stalwart James Morgan has resigned from his duties, effective immediately. Since being appointed as Producing Artistic Director in 1997, James Morgan and The York have focused on "bringing musicals to life" in its Mainstage Series—most of them world, American, or New York premieres—by some of the field's most esteemed creators and launching the careers of many talented new writers.

"On behalf of the Board of Directors of the York Theatre company, we wish James Morgan well in his future endeavors," stated Jim Kierstead, York Board President. "We will soon be announcing plans for a future filled with diversity, talent, and musical theater in order to continue our long legacy of supporting artists of all backgrounds."

The York Theatre Company Board of Directors includes W. David McCoy (Chairman), Jim Kierstead (President), Riki Kane Larimer (Vice President), Molly Pickering Grose (Secretary), Gerald F. Fisher (Treasurer), Bernard Carragher, Timothy F. Collins, Alan Govenar, Laurence Holzman, Katherine Huang, Joan T. Mischo, Charlotte Rosenblatt, Joan Ross Sorkin, Debra Walton, and Claudia Zahn.

The York Theatre Company "Where Musicals Come to Life," is the only theatre in New York City—and one of very few in the world—dedicated to developing and fully producing new musicals and preserving notable shows from the past. For over five decades, York's intimate, imaginative style of producing both original and classic musicals has resulted in critical acclaim and recognition from artists and audiences alike. Under the guidance of Producing Artistic Director James Morgan since 1997, The York has focused on new musicals in its Mainstage Series—most of them world, American, or New York premieres—by some of the field's most esteemed creators and has also helped launch the careers of many talented new writers. Over 45 cast recordings from York Theatre Company productions are now available, including its acclaimed revival of Closer Than Ever (2013 Off-Broadway Alliance Award for Best Revival). Commercial transfers of such York premieres as The Musical of Musicals (The Musical!), Souvenir (Tony Award Nomination for actress Judy Kaye), and Jolson & Company, and revivals of Pacific Overtures and Sweeney Todd (four Tony Nominations including Best Revival) have all showcased the importance of The York and its programs.

Recent York productions have included A Sign of the Times (New World Stages), The Jerusalem Syndrome, Vanities—The Musical, Hoagy Carmichael's Stardust Road, Penelope: or How the Odyssey Was Really Written, Cheek to Cheek: Irving Berlin in Hollywood, A Taste of Things to Come, Marry Harry, and Rothschild & Sons. The critically acclaimed musical Yank! received its Off-Broadway debut at The York, and subsequently to rave reviews in London—as did York's Rothschild & Sons. The hit musical Cagney received its York premiere in 2015, transferring to the Westside Theatre for over 15 months. In 2017, Desperate Measures received a total of 15 award nominations (and three wins) that included Best Musical from the Lucille Lortel, Outer Critics Circle, Drama Desk, and Off-Broadway Alliance and subsequently transferred across town to New World Stages. The York is the recipient of a special Drama Desk Award for "Developing and Producing New Musicals," a special Outer Critics Circle Award for "50 Years of Producing New and Classic Musicals." Due to a flood in their longtime home at Saint Peter's Church in January 2021, The York is currently producing at The Theatre at St. Jean's at 76th Street and Lexington Avenue.

by Anonymousreply 328October 11, 2024 10:19 PM

I've mentioned it, R320, except that queens here prefer to chew the fat about dimming lights. That article is misleading--who is exactly being sued, the producers or Adjmi? On the surface, it seems absurd that the plaintiff is suing on the basis of the playwright creating a character based on the plaintiff. That happens all the time--it's called creative license and freedom of expression.

by Anonymousreply 329October 11, 2024 10:47 PM

Hey! I'm playing the character in question, who's the basis of this lawsuit! Do I get free pussy for it?

by Anonymousreply 330October 11, 2024 10:49 PM

I initially read R328 as JANE MORGAN STEPS DOWN AS PRODUCING ARTISTIC DIRECTOR AT THE YORK THEATRE COMPANY

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331October 11, 2024 10:53 PM

[quote]On the surface, it seems absurd that the plaintiff is suing on the basis of the playwright creating a character based on the plaintiff.

"Creating a character based on the plaintiff" is not the extent of it. There are detailed scenarios and even lines that were lifted directly from the book, word for word. Read the complaint. It's not that long, and it's interesting.

by Anonymousreply 332October 11, 2024 11:00 PM

I did read it, R332. It's still a flimsy lawsuit, imo.

by Anonymousreply 333October 11, 2024 11:04 PM

It's definitely not the sturdiest, but I think there's enough there for a judge not to dismiss it outright. Time will tell.

by Anonymousreply 334October 11, 2024 11:08 PM

R329 that lawsuit is not going their way or your way. Read the thread above. If there were a way, we’d be filing suit as well.

by Anonymousreply 335October 11, 2024 11:19 PM

In a way, it's too bad they just didn't make it BE Fleetwood Mac and then use the actual superior songs for the play.

by Anonymousreply 336October 11, 2024 11:23 PM

We'd then have had our first "Jukebox Play" and who knows where that would lead?

by Anonymousreply 337October 11, 2024 11:27 PM

I noticed that Stevie Nicks did not see Stereophonic while she's in NYC this week for SNL. I guess she doesn't want anything to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 338October 11, 2024 11:27 PM

Do you know what a legal nightmare that would have been, R336? It never would have happened. It's much better as a fictional work. Which essentially it is. The entire play consisting of the group dynamics is made up--the essence of fiction.

by Anonymousreply 339October 11, 2024 11:33 PM

R339 yes...there's nothing up there resembling Fleetwood Mac.

Said no sane person ever.

by Anonymousreply 340October 11, 2024 11:36 PM

[quote]OK, what's the tea?

[quote]JAMES MORGAN STEPS DOWN AS PRODUCING ARTISTIC DIRECTOR AT THE YORK THEATRE COMPANY

There was recently an incident between Gerry McIntyre and James Morgan during a zoom meeting, r328, in which Morgan lost his temper and began screaming at him. McIntyre stepped down from his position of Associated Artistic Director as a result.

I think McIntyre's FB page is open, and he has posted his resignation letter there. It's pretty damning. I think Morgan resigned before before he got fired.

by Anonymousreply 341October 12, 2024 12:02 AM

"Suffs" closing on January 5th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342October 12, 2024 12:48 AM

What Would Jesse Do?

by Anonymousreply 343October 12, 2024 12:50 AM

I've worked with Gerry a few times and always managed to stay on his good side. He's a good guy if you shoot straight. Things would need to be really fucked up for him to go off.

by Anonymousreply 344October 12, 2024 12:59 AM

[quote]What Would Jesse Do?

Want to be what Lucy was.

by Anonymousreply 345October 12, 2024 1:03 AM

Broadway Medley of 1986

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346October 12, 2024 2:29 AM

Annette Bening saw The Roommate this week.

by Anonymousreply 347October 12, 2024 2:42 AM

She was no doubt relieved she passed on playing Patti's role.

by Anonymousreply 348October 12, 2024 2:57 AM

I didn't say that, R340. The characters were based on real-life people, which is not a basis for a lawsuit, and their scenes and dialogue with each other are (mostly, but for the few lines in question) made up. Do you think it's a documentary?

by Anonymousreply 349October 12, 2024 1:07 PM

Thanks for the info R341. Looked for McIntyre's post on FB but couldn't see it (we're not "friends" but have lots of mutual).

by Anonymousreply 350October 12, 2024 6:10 PM

Don’t bring Zoom to a gun fight!

by Anonymousreply 351October 12, 2024 7:57 PM

Just watched this week’s episode of Law & Order. Elizabeth Marvel was on for the first time in a long time. She looks incredibly thin and frail, and her voice has lost some of its timber. Is she ill?

by Anonymousreply 352October 12, 2024 8:44 PM

Has the York Theatre company ever been anything an annoying collection of fussy, mildly talented upper east siders who think they understand musicals, YANK! stank.

by Anonymousreply 353October 12, 2024 8:49 PM

Teaching my husband how to use Apple Music, I played him three renditions of “As If We Never Said Goodbye” Glenn, Patti, Betty Lynn. I had assumed Patti’s would take the palm but we surprised that we thought Glenn’s was the best, despite (and maybe because) the fact that she has the weakest voice by far of these ladies. Patti sang with no attention to the words and while Betty Lynn sounded spectacular, she always sounds like Betty Lynn, not like whatever character she’s playing. Glenn found pathos and majesty and intimacy even with that uncomfortable shift between head voice and chest.

I know, get a blog. We’re seeing Nicole next month.

by Anonymousreply 354October 12, 2024 10:10 PM

You two would be the hit of any party!

by Anonymousreply 355October 12, 2024 10:14 PM

Correction: not*

by Anonymousreply 356October 12, 2024 10:14 PM

The dumbest of the dumb Ivy schools, I gather.

Poly comes from the Greek, meaning much or many. Poli is shorthand for political, or politics.

by Anonymousreply 357October 12, 2024 10:32 PM

Opps —me dumb here. 🤓

by Anonymousreply 358October 12, 2024 10:34 PM

Yes, r355 and I’m going to my 50th high school reunion tonight. What an icebreaker I’ll have!

by Anonymousreply 359October 12, 2024 11:12 PM

I think you know the answer to your question, R353.

by Anonymousreply 360October 13, 2024 12:05 AM

R352-She looks very ill for a woman of only 54. She's unrecognizable from her recent role in "Presumed Innocent". And that horrible wig did her no favors. That was not a healthy woman on "Law and Order" this week. Or hopefully, a woman recovering from something unhealthy.

by Anonymousreply 361October 13, 2024 2:54 AM

Sprockets Boulevard. It’s fantastic theater for people who don’t like to think very much. Nothing makes any sense, but it doesn’t really matter because there is a lot to look at. Plus the angry cast glowers at the audience down throughout the show even when the music is happy and jazzy,

And the applause! Nicole holds a note for no particular reason and people go crazy. David Thaxton holds a note to get applause, but then cracks on the next one,

Strangely. the overproduction has the same effect as it did in the original, which it to spotlight the limits of Sir Andrew’s talent.

by Anonymousreply 362October 13, 2024 3:02 AM

The talent limits are much more heinous for Don Black and Christopher Hampton

by Anonymousreply 363October 13, 2024 3:12 AM

I always feel ALW gets too much stick. He's just a composer. The book, the lyrics, somebody else entirely.

by Anonymousreply 364October 13, 2024 4:04 AM

[quote]The book, the lyrics, somebody else entirely.

Which both are in service to his score.

by Anonymousreply 365October 13, 2024 4:09 AM

Funnily enough, I had the opposite reaction. I'm not the biggest ALW fan, but this new production made me appreciate his score more. Whatever the faults of his lyricists / librettists over the years, I actually think his music for Sunset Blvd is more interesting and varied than I'd ever appreciated before. There's much more...color and dynamics and rich harmonics... in this music than I'd appreciated. I think one of the reasons it's more noticeable.. at least to me... is because of the deliberately stark production design. It ends up putting much more emphasis on the music. It also helps that they've got a pretty killer orchestra in the pit and deliberately amplified sound design that gives you this cinematic surround-sound experience.

by Anonymousreply 366October 13, 2024 5:15 AM

r364 But after Tim Rice he was choosing the lyricists and book writers he worked with, so still deserves some blame

by Anonymousreply 367October 13, 2024 10:38 AM

In his most recent book, Jack O’Brien hilariously skewers Webber. He’s basically Norma Desmond reincarnated as a toad.

by Anonymousreply 368October 13, 2024 11:04 AM

[quote]Plus the angry cast glowers at the audience down throughout the show even when the music is happy and jazzy.

WTF? What's the point of that?

by Anonymousreply 369October 13, 2024 11:26 AM

Don’t ask. You also shouldn’t ask why Max is younger than Norma and overemotes nearly as much. It’s a lot of style and flash, but no one is much concerned with a story or characters. It reminded me of Cabaret.

by Anonymousreply 370October 13, 2024 12:21 PM

This really is gonna flop isn't it? Fiyero is GAY GAY GAY and no mention that it's split into 2 parts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371October 13, 2024 12:56 PM

[quote]Sprockets Boulevard.

They made musical about Dieter??

by Anonymousreply 372October 13, 2024 3:03 PM

Yes, including staring directly in the camera during a close up. The best part is when they all wear black dresses and gyrate on the floor. I’m not making this up.

by Anonymousreply 373October 13, 2024 3:25 PM

The moment in Sunset where there's a closeup of Artie with one tear rolling down his cheek is the most unintentionally funny thing I've ever seen on Broadway. Well, maybe next to the moment in Left On Tenth when the dog dies of liver cancer.

by Anonymousreply 374October 13, 2024 3:59 PM

Does the guy playing Artie use a tear stick? That’s doping for actors. Does he want to be considered the Lance Armstrong for theater?

by Anonymousreply 375October 13, 2024 4:27 PM

Max taking off his headset was also pretty laughable. Jamie Lloyd doesn’t seem to understand human emotions, especially in a chilly piece like this. So you get very weird sentimental flourishes that come out of nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 376October 13, 2024 4:32 PM

There's a legendary story that when "Love Never Dies" was creamed by the crix and the audiences were staying away in droves, the typical ALW bullshit took place and everyone was blamed and summoned to meetings for fixes, and changes, but the meetings were always about stupid shit -- costumes, lighting, acting choices. ALW was never there, and blamed everyone else. Director Jack O'Brien would just get home to NYC after one of these stupid meetings, and he'd get a call demanding/summoning that he return to London immediately for another meeting. He flew back first class, walked into the meeting, looked around the room, and said "Call me back when the fucking composer is here," and walked out and returned to the airport. He never went back again. They then hired some moderate talent to do the Australian production, and that tanked too.

by Anonymousreply 377October 13, 2024 4:32 PM

[quote]The moment in Sunset where there's a closeup of Artie with one tear rolling down his cheek is the most unintentionally funny thing I've ever seen on Broadway.

When/why does Artie cry in the show?

by Anonymousreply 378October 13, 2024 4:33 PM

When Betty leaves him for Joe, there is a massive close up and Artie is indeed shedding a single stream of tears. He takes off his headset and walks away. This is theater for very uncritical audiences.

by Anonymousreply 379October 13, 2024 4:39 PM

R379 Did they change the story?

Betty doesn't leave Artie in the original film nor musical.

In fact, Artie never learns about the affair, because he's away in another state filming a circus movie.

Joe ends it with Betty at the end and she returns to Artie, who is none the wiser.

by Anonymousreply 380October 13, 2024 4:51 PM

They change a great deal. Artie overhears Too Much in Love to Care and has his heart broken. But there is no real physical production, do it’s not clear where anyone is supposed to be. Norma is now 40, pretending she’s 20. Which makes it strange that Joe is so repulsed by her.

by Anonymousreply 381October 13, 2024 4:56 PM

Set your DVRs for Betty Bacall in The Fan this Thursday at 9:45pm on TCM.

by Anonymousreply 382October 13, 2024 5:00 PM

Shouldn't that be set your DVRs for a young Michael Biehn in a swimsuit in The Fan?

by Anonymousreply 383October 13, 2024 5:13 PM

[Quote] Set your DVRs for Betty Bacall in The Fan this Thursday at 9:45pm on TCM.

Why would I need it on DVR when I already have it on VHS, DVD, and Blu-ray?

by Anonymousreply 384October 13, 2024 5:45 PM

[quote]The moment in Sunset where there's a closeup of Artie with one tear rolling down his cheek is the most unintentionally funny thing I've ever seen on Broadway.

How do you achieve a "close-up" in live theater? Does he walk around and stand in front of each audience member?

by Anonymousreply 385October 13, 2024 5:49 PM

You haven't been keeping up, r385.

by Anonymousreply 386October 13, 2024 5:51 PM

R385 hadn’t see a show in 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 387October 13, 2024 6:01 PM

Love Never Dies = Paint Never Dries

I hope this Sunset gets televised so I can hate watch it from the comfort of my own home.

by Anonymousreply 388October 13, 2024 6:20 PM

It isn't staged for a TV screen, r388.

by Anonymousreply 389October 13, 2024 6:26 PM

The Herr Schultz understudy was on for both shows yesterday. Scheduled absence. And, SURPRISE! Bebe was out, too. We know how much she hates working with understudies.

by Anonymousreply 390October 13, 2024 6:27 PM

Oh, please, R389. You don’t think Netflix will scoop it up? ALW will be thrilled for that to happen.

by Anonymousreply 391October 13, 2024 8:25 PM

[quote]You don’t think Netflix will scoop it up?

Oh, please, r391, where did I say that wouldn't happen?

by Anonymousreply 392October 13, 2024 8:30 PM

You dismissed my opinion it could end up on a TV screen, dumbass/R389. Reading is fundamental. Look into it.

by Anonymousreply 393October 13, 2024 8:37 PM

Interesting, Bebe had rehearsed with the Schultz understudy and planned to go on.

by Anonymousreply 394October 13, 2024 9:39 PM

I wrote it wasn't "staged for the TV screen, r393. Nowhere did I write it wouldn't end up on one. Reading is fundamental.

by Anonymousreply 395October 13, 2024 10:13 PM

It really wouldn’t work on a TV or movie screen, but whatever.

by Anonymousreply 396October 14, 2024 12:02 AM

Truly theatrical productions rarely do, r396.

by Anonymousreply 397October 14, 2024 12:04 AM

I take that back, Noises Off would work on live TV.

by Anonymousreply 398October 14, 2024 12:05 AM

Love Never Dies is easily ALW’s best score of the last 20 years… despite the hate for the money-grab of a Phantom sequel, it’s clear his heart was in it (before and after the cat deleted the score). Certainly, the music is on the level of the original and perhaps even better. Having seen the one night only performance with Norm Lewis and company at Drury Lane last year, it’s clear there is a future for the show, perhaps an enterprising director would do the two pieces in rep ala Angels In America and complete the vision for the piece.

by Anonymousreply 399October 14, 2024 1:44 AM

Is Galileo dead?

by Anonymousreply 400October 14, 2024 1:55 AM

For years, r400.

by Anonymousreply 401October 14, 2024 1:58 AM

My casting for a live TV broadcast of Noises Off would include Olivia Colman (Dottie), Dan Stevens (Garry), Hannah Waddingham (Belinda), Juno Temple (Brooke) and Colin Firth (Freddie). Hugh Grant seems both too old and too obvious for Lloyd.

by Anonymousreply 402October 14, 2024 2:07 AM

"easily ALW’s best score of the last 20 years" -- such high praise, R399! Extending the reach back nearly 30 years yields such masterpieces as WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND . . . THE BEAUTIFUL GAME . . . THE WOMAN IN WHITE . . . STEPHEN WARD . . . SCHOOL OF ROCK . . . BAD CINDERELLA . . .

by Anonymousreply 403October 14, 2024 2:19 AM

R400 was he even Italian?!

by Anonymousreply 404October 14, 2024 2:28 AM

Are all of these new musicals (not revivals) opening this season? Do they all have theaters?

TAMMY FAYE

DEATH BECOMES HER

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA

MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL

SMASH

SWEPT AWAY

THE BUENA VISTA SOCIAL CLUB

MAYBE HAPPY ENDING

REDWOOD (the Idina Menzel musical)

A WONDERFUL WORLD

OLD FRIENDS

Have I forgotten any new musicals?

by Anonymousreply 405October 14, 2024 3:20 AM

I saw Galileo at Berkeley Rep and it was a hot steaming mess.

by Anonymousreply 406October 14, 2024 5:05 AM

[quote]Certainly, the music is on the level of the original...

That's what we were afraid of.

by Anonymousreply 407October 14, 2024 5:23 AM

[quote] Have I forgotten any new musicals? JUST IN TIME

by Anonymousreply 408October 14, 2024 5:32 AM

And "The Devil Wears Prada" opens in London next month but is unlikely to open on Broadway this season.

by Anonymousreply 409October 14, 2024 5:35 AM

Incidentally, how come community/regional theaters in the UK only do one weekend of shows, whereas in the US it's usually two or three weekends or even an entire month.

by Anonymousreply 410October 14, 2024 6:36 AM

[quote]Love Never Dies is easily ALW’s best score of the last 20 years

You mean it's nearly competent?

by Anonymousreply 411October 14, 2024 6:47 AM

R255- you absolutely can if you’re on foot.

by Anonymousreply 412October 14, 2024 7:03 AM

R257- I’ve lived in Manhattan for 30 years and I absolutely would leave out Street or Avenue since context would make it obvious what I was talking about.

by Anonymousreply 413October 14, 2024 7:05 AM

R263- yes, you would since you would most likely be talking to a pedestrian. Even in a cab, you’d ask them to turn right or left even though it’s a one way street.

by Anonymousreply 414October 14, 2024 7:07 AM

Everything you ever need to know about 'Love Never Dies' is right here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 415October 14, 2024 8:38 AM

R257

So when I say there’s a new play coming out called “Right on Ninth” set in Manhattan, you instinctively know that it is the street not the avenue? Bullshit

by Anonymousreply 416October 14, 2024 11:12 AM

DLers taking their need for literalism to new levels now

by Anonymousreply 417October 14, 2024 12:20 PM

Re r405

Isn’t Queen of Versailles coming in next year too?

by Anonymousreply 418October 14, 2024 1:56 PM

I thought they'd announced they weren't coming in this spring, but next season. But I could be wrong, r418.

by Anonymousreply 419October 14, 2024 2:03 PM

As of Oct. 14, there's five venues that will need tenants for early 2025. They're all Shubert houses. The Booth, Imperial, Jones, Lyceum, and Music Box.

by Anonymousreply 420October 14, 2024 2:04 PM

What about BOOP? Didn't Jerry Mitchell say it would appear on Broadway this season?

by Anonymousreply 421October 14, 2024 2:08 PM

What theater will SMASH take?

by Anonymousreply 422October 14, 2024 2:08 PM

BOOP is taking the Music Box. SMASH is taking the Imperial. The bigger question is what's going to take the August Wilson when CABARET crashes in January.

by Anonymousreply 423October 14, 2024 3:00 PM

R422 given the fan base, hopefully a small one!

by Anonymousreply 424October 14, 2024 3:01 PM

BOOP was announced for the Broadhurst, unless they're changing their plans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425October 14, 2024 3:15 PM

Any ideas why Cabaret is such a big hit in London but a modest success here? At this point there have been at least 5 Sally's and 5 Emcees but it's doubtful we'll get beyond the 2 we've had on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 426October 14, 2024 3:16 PM

‘cause it sucks.

by Anonymousreply 427October 14, 2024 4:00 PM

r426

same thing happened with Evita

by Anonymousreply 428October 14, 2024 4:13 PM

It's a bigger hit in London because they didn't have the superb Roundabout production that. ran for nearly a decade, and because all British theater is another excuse to drink, and the whole new production is about the bar sales. A show based on drinking with your friends can run for decades in London. Not so much on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 429October 14, 2024 4:46 PM

But didn't the roundabout production come from London first?

by Anonymousreply 430October 14, 2024 4:59 PM

Yes, r430.

by Anonymousreply 431October 14, 2024 5:07 PM

Did the original Mendes CABARET play the West End or was it just at the Donmar (is that where it began/)? If it played the West End before coming to Broadway, how long was the run?

The West End usually has fewer musical revivals to choose from so that might also explain this CABARET's longevity. I'm in the minority here, apparently, but I thoroughly enjoyed it in London.

by Anonymousreply 432October 14, 2024 5:53 PM

In case you were wondering who's playing Tulsa, Miss Mazeppa, Electra, Tessie Tura and the Balloon Girl. (Apologies if this wasn't posted earlier and I missed it.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 433October 14, 2024 6:22 PM

r432 Just the Donmar. Always wondered why it didn't have a West End run.

It being a well known name, with some degree of stunt casting, likely helps with the international tourist trade.

by Anonymousreply 434October 14, 2024 6:50 PM

Cats, The Jellicle Ball could easily take the August Wilson and they wouldn't have to change all that much in terms of decor or set.

by Anonymousreply 435October 14, 2024 7:24 PM

In the UK, Cabaret opened right as the pandemic was ending so it got a lot of support

by Anonymousreply 436October 14, 2024 7:58 PM

Everything you ever need to know about 'Love Never Dies' is right here:

by Anonymousreply 437October 14, 2024 7:58 PM

Seeing the London version was like a sympathy fuck, is that what you mean?

by Anonymousreply 438October 14, 2024 7:59 PM

I think the proper term is “pity fuck,” R438.

by Anonymousreply 439October 14, 2024 8:14 PM

There’s a pro shot of “Love Never Shuts Up” on Broadway HD

It’s a hoot. It’s bad fan fiction with a repetitive if over orchestrated score

by Anonymousreply 440October 14, 2024 8:14 PM

I'm told that David Stone was seen at a recent performance of "Spelling Bee" at the Kennedy Center in D.C., so don't be terribly surprised if that production winds up on Broadway soonish.

by Anonymousreply 441October 14, 2024 8:57 PM

With Beanie, r441?

by Anonymousreply 442October 14, 2024 8:58 PM

R442. I'll keep my Thursday nights open....just in case!

by Anonymousreply 443October 14, 2024 9:05 PM

[quote] Cats, The Jellicle Ball could easily take the August Wilson and they wouldn't have to change all that much in terms of decor or set.

Since "immersive staging" is all the rage, you think one of the Broadway houses would remain somewhat flexible for a while.

by Anonymousreply 444October 14, 2024 9:53 PM

A letter from James Morgan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 445October 14, 2024 9:53 PM

It's time for a revival of Oh, Calcutta!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446October 14, 2024 10:04 PM

CABARET at The Donmar was very different from The Roundabout. For Roundabout, they brought in Rob Marshall who made real magic around Mendes concept and direction. It was night and day.

by Anonymousreply 447October 14, 2024 10:06 PM

I don't know about a revival of Oh Calcutta! but it seems like Broadway might just be hankering for a new all nude musical review.

Or perhaps this is what could become of Chicago to extend its run for another couple of decades.

by Anonymousreply 448October 14, 2024 10:40 PM

The Donmar Cabaret was also broadcast on the BBC.

by Anonymousreply 449October 15, 2024 3:33 AM

[quote] And "The Devil Wears Prada" opens in London next month but is unlikely to open on Broadway this season.

Or, from what I’m hearing, any season.

by Anonymousreply 450October 15, 2024 4:07 AM

[quote]The Herr Schultz understudy was on for both shows yesterday. Scheduled absence. And, SURPRISE! Bebe was out, too. We know how much she hates working with understudies.—Nancy Hess

[quote]Interesting, Bebe had rehearsed with the Schultz understudy and planned to go on.

I'm pretty sure that r390 was joking, r394. Bebe doesn't have issues with understudies.

Nathan Lane, on the other hand...

by Anonymousreply 451October 15, 2024 8:47 AM

R451. Thank you, I was joking. Bebe was out again last night so she's obviously under the weather. Her understudy appears to be a 20 something with a grey wig stuck on her head. WTF.

by Anonymousreply 452October 15, 2024 11:13 AM

Why isn't SMASH doing an out-of-town tryout? Especially with as inept a director as Stro? What kinds of fools invest in that shit?

by Anonymousreply 453October 15, 2024 12:43 PM

I think between "Tammy Faye" and "Prada" we are all going to be living those glorious first lines from "Drowsy Chaperone,": "Please Elton John, must we continue this charade?"

by Anonymousreply 454October 15, 2024 1:39 PM

Alas, Smash the TV show was the out-of-town tryout ...

by Anonymousreply 455October 15, 2024 1:41 PM

In a way, I guess we should admire Marc Shaiman for keeping on keeping on despite his general lack of success since "Hairspray." But I wish he had better taste in projects and collaborators, and he certainly doesn't seem to be able to work at the top of his game anymore.

by Anonymousreply 456October 15, 2024 1:49 PM

R456 Hi Scott Wittman!

Would you please stop fucking up Patti LuPone concerts by having her sing rock songs from the 70s instead of showtunes?

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 457October 15, 2024 1:56 PM

^^^^That's not very funny, because why would Scott Wittman be complaining about Marc Shaiman's choice of collaborators? Also, I highly doubt that Patti Lu ever does anything she herself doesn't want to do in her concerts.

by Anonymousreply 458October 15, 2024 2:17 PM

R445 that's a tiny piece of paper to cover such a BIG ass.

by Anonymousreply 459October 15, 2024 2:18 PM

R458 it was a joke since they are divorced.

Also Patti has gone on record that Scott directs all of her concerts and finds her music.

But…it was a joke

by Anonymousreply 460October 15, 2024 3:00 PM

Is anyone else a bit tired of the "you must BE that person to give them such praise" routine?

by Anonymousreply 461October 15, 2024 3:20 PM

Stro is directing Smash because Stephen Spielberg insisted on it.

by Anonymousreply 462October 15, 2024 5:28 PM

I thought I'd posted this, so apologies in advance if this is a double post.

James Morgan wrote an apology letter that essentially verifies Gerry McIntyre's resignation letter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 463October 15, 2024 5:47 PM

Morgan’s not wrong in questioning who they are programming for. Hard to imagine “diverse” audiences flocking to the York.

by Anonymousreply 464October 15, 2024 5:52 PM

Every theater is supposed to be for everybody.

by Anonymousreply 465October 15, 2024 6:09 PM

R465, that's an extremely naive and ignorant comment.

by Anonymousreply 466October 15, 2024 7:00 PM

[quote]It was a joke since they are divorced.

But it's not funny, because Wittman and Shaiman have continued to write together even though they are no longer a couple.

by Anonymousreply 467October 15, 2024 7:01 PM

Weak teak from off-Broadway is the worst DL GOSSIP.

by Anonymousreply 468October 15, 2024 7:05 PM

Teak isn't weak.

by Anonymousreply 469October 15, 2024 8:17 PM

Teakache is the weakest of all. The Prof. Marvel of DL.

by Anonymousreply 470October 15, 2024 8:27 PM

Broadway Box Office:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 471October 15, 2024 8:27 PM

R467 Hi Marc!

by Anonymousreply 472October 15, 2024 8:36 PM

So the richest real estate now on Broadway is a parking garage with direct access to the Gershwin and Circle in the Square?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 473October 15, 2024 8:37 PM

R472, and your comment is ALSO not funny, because it makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 474October 15, 2024 8:50 PM

I *adore* Kathy Bates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 475October 15, 2024 10:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!