Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bogie & Lizabeth Scott in '47 film noir "Dead Reckoning"

"Gilda," it's not. Humphrey Bogart was teamed with Lizabeth Scott for the post-war film noir, 1947's "Dead Reckoning." Very watchable, but the film riffs on several past famed noirs, Bogie's the tough guy truth-seeker again, and Lizabeth Scott is a very languid femme fatale. My look at the deadly duo here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2024 10:27 AM

I like this one. Very atmospheric

by Anonymousreply 1October 8, 2024 11:56 PM

Thanks OP! I'm looking for a new noir to watch.

I liked Scott in Too Late for Tears.

by Anonymousreply 2October 8, 2024 11:56 PM

"Lizabeth Scott is a very languid femme fatale"

Languid? She always comes off as mildly retarded. I can not stand her.

by Anonymousreply 3October 9, 2024 12:06 AM

She's the poor man's Lauren Bacall.

by Anonymousreply 4October 9, 2024 12:10 AM

R4, it's funny how she almost has what Bacall had.

And then she doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 5October 9, 2024 12:12 AM

Columbia tried to pair Bogie and Rita earlier in the comedy Once Upon a Time (1944).

by Anonymousreply 6October 9, 2024 12:20 AM

I, too, love "Too. Late for Tears." Her absolute evil glee over someone mistakenly throwing a suitcase of money into her convertible and her determination not to turn it over to the cops is a delight.

by Anonymousreply 7October 9, 2024 12:21 AM

Here's Lizabeth Scott as Coral Chandler, singing her hit single to Bogie's "Rip" without a microphone in a nightclub the size of a airplane hangar!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 9, 2024 12:56 PM

Dead Reckoning is on Tubi, BTW...

by Anonymousreply 9October 9, 2024 12:57 PM

A flat-chested girl should never wear a low-cut dress.

by Anonymousreply 10October 9, 2024 1:10 PM

Lizabeth was groomed to be a Bacall type. As usual, the copy is not nearly as good as the original.

by Anonymousreply 11October 9, 2024 1:14 PM

SPOILER!!!

But the final few moments when she kicks the bucket and we see some parachute imagery is quite moving......

by Anonymousreply 12October 9, 2024 3:27 PM

Liz didn't have as much "flavah" as Lauren

by Anonymousreply 13October 9, 2024 5:16 PM

She's better than that Diana Dors woman.

by Anonymousreply 14October 9, 2024 5:20 PM

Lizabeth Scott had lipstick lesbian appeal from the start, long before the public learned she was a dyke courtesy of Confidential magazine.

by Anonymousreply 15October 9, 2024 6:30 PM

NOOO!

by Anonymousreply 16October 9, 2024 7:49 PM

R5, even Bacall wasn't "Lauren Bacall." She was incredibly sexy when she was paired with Bogart; without him, she's not the same person. Her appeal evaporates.

by Anonymousreply 17October 9, 2024 8:18 PM

That’s going too far, R17.

She looked and sounded like no one else in movies, and is interesting to watch in all her films from the ‘50s. She had a particular brand of sophistication that went against that decade’s clichés about housewives, home and hearth. She was the anti-June Allyson and was a wonderful presence for that reason alone.

by Anonymousreply 18October 10, 2024 12:15 PM

R17 is nuts.

by Anonymousreply 19October 10, 2024 2:14 PM

"Dead Reckoning" is one of my favorite film noir movies.

But not because of Bogart (nothing new about his character here) or Scott (again nothing new).

But I find that the different "take" on the supporting characters to be the most interesting thing about the movie.

In other noir films, a retired safe cracker would be as depicted as a grizzled bum, living in a seedy room in a seedy hotel with a neon sign blinking outside the window. A half empty bottle of booze on the dresser. NOT here.

In other noir films, the cop would be corrupt and violent. NOT here. In any of his repeated appearances in the movie. Starting with his first appearance (at the morgue), his showing up at the hotel room, and at Coral's apartment, ending with the final scene in the hospital.

The priest is different, too. Not the old, presumably "Irish" padre, but a military chaplain.

I like Bogart and Scott, but there really is nothing new about their characters here. But the supporting roles make this movie much, much more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 20October 10, 2024 2:19 PM

Apparently, Rudy Colludy owns Lauren Bacall's Mercedes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 10, 2024 6:01 PM

I wonder if Rudy rides around drinking High Point Coffee in Bacall's Mercedes?

by Anonymousreply 22October 10, 2024 7:22 PM

Marvin Miller as Krause is particularly scary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 10, 2024 7:25 PM

OP, bless your heart! The only film permitted to have that in the title is "Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning." I've ordered the Church to purchase any & all copies of this somehow adulterated copycat, along with all IP rights. It'll be gone forever in a day or two. Thanks for the heads-up!

by Anonymousreply 24October 10, 2024 7:26 PM

With Morris Carnovsky as Martinelli .

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2024 6:55 AM

Always thought that Lizabeth was too simpering and stiff for the femme fatale roles she was given. And not nearly as beautiful as Lauren.

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2024 10:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!