Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jan Hooks Has Been Dead To Us Ten Years

April 23, 1957 - October 9, 2014

A shame we’ll never know more about her. She was a talented comic actor. Even Pauline Kael said so. But Jan was also a basket case. Kevin Nealon said she seemed a little lost even before her mother’s death in 1986. The death of her father, followed closely by the murder of Phil Hartman, seemed to send her into a spiral and 9/11 sealed the deal.

She spent the last years of her life living in a holler near Bearsville, NY. She had leukemia, went into remission and about 5 years later, was diagnosed with chemo-resistant neck cancer. She opted to forgo treatment and died in her brother’s care.

Jan shunned computers, showbiz, family, friends and her own health. She said if she were married she’d be in prison…kids, death row. Jan dated Nealon for a couple years, but he broke up with her after the first SNL season. She then lived with an artist for a few years. Who knows what happened with that. And her relationship with Phil Hartman has been the subject of rumors for decades, which were exacerbated by Brynn Hartman threatening Jan in letters never sent.

I think we only saw the edge of her talent. She just wanted live with her demons, not Hollywood or sobriety. In the end, that’s exactly what happened

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68October 14, 2024 9:52 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 9, 2024 2:53 AM

I remember the old RIP troll's thread here when Jan died ten years ago The headline was "Jan Hooks, RIP". RIP, RIP troll.

by Anonymousreply 2October 9, 2024 2:56 AM

Wow, it's incredible to believe it's been a full ten years.

She might have been the all-time funniest person ever to be a regular on SNL.

by Anonymousreply 3October 9, 2024 2:57 AM

Insanely talented. Should have been a megastar.

by Anonymousreply 4October 9, 2024 3:02 AM

Link: Jan Hooks as Bette Davis reading her own will on video

(This had me dying on the floor when I was a kid and it aired live that night)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 9, 2024 3:04 AM

The most talented female performer in Saturday Night Live history.

Insane range and so full of energy.

by Anonymousreply 6October 9, 2024 3:07 AM

The deep dive after she died mentioned that once her cancer returned, she retreated from the world in a Catskills cabin, having liquor and cartons of Merit cigarettes delivered from a local store and watching TCM around the clock.

She was so beautiful that her cameos on 30 Rock — greatly overweight, alcoholic eyes — were quite a shock.

by Anonymousreply 7October 9, 2024 3:25 AM

There's no basement at the Alamo!?

by Anonymousreply 8October 9, 2024 3:29 AM

[quote] This is one of my personal favorite parts of the tour. Please say hello to our residents, Pedro and his wife Inez. Inez is holding a clay pot that she seems very proud of. She has carefully detailed it with lots of paint and glaze. And Pedro is working on an "adobe." Can you say that with me? "Adobe".

[quote] (Tour group responds, "Adobe.")

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 9, 2024 3:51 AM

Sad that Designing Women had already jumped the shark by the time she turned up there.

by Anonymousreply 10October 9, 2024 3:52 AM

She was its only real saving grace in those last two seasons.

by Anonymousreply 11October 9, 2024 3:54 AM

Tragic.

She had beauty, wit, cunning, and insight; the weapons all women needed to survive in the world.

So sad she let her inner demons eat her alive. She deserved better.

by Anonymousreply 12October 9, 2024 4:06 AM

Those inner demons were HUNGRRRYYY!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 13October 9, 2024 4:08 AM

[quote] (Tour group responds, "Adobe.")

One of my favorite things in that movie is at this moment the Mexicans in the tour ("Well, BUENOS DIAS!") also say the word very carefully with the Anglos, like they've never heard it before.

by Anonymousreply 14October 9, 2024 4:10 AM

[quote]She had beauty, wit, cunning, and insight; the weapons all women needed to survive in the world.

Thanks for weighing in, Joan Collins.

by Anonymousreply 15October 9, 2024 4:11 AM

I love when her whole trashy TexASS accent and when she finally takes the gum out of her mouth.

by Anonymousreply 16October 9, 2024 4:12 AM

This is still fucking gold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 9, 2024 4:14 AM

It's a crime those Sweeney sisters sketches aren't available in high quality.

by Anonymousreply 18October 9, 2024 4:28 AM

Jan Hooks was truly funny in everything I ever saw her in, a very gifted comedic actress. I'm sorry that she had so many personal problems.

by Anonymousreply 19October 9, 2024 4:33 AM

An article written one year after she died, which explains a lot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 9, 2024 4:39 AM

Jan Hooks could rock a Southern accent like nobody's business.

by Anonymousreply 21October 9, 2024 4:39 AM

R18

“I see you pushed L for lobby! Join us, won’t you?”

by Anonymousreply 22October 9, 2024 4:47 AM

Is this the lady that did Joana Dana? Why do so female comedians die young it seems like.

by Anonymousreply 23October 9, 2024 4:50 AM

I adore Jan Hooks. One of the all-time greats. Fearless.

by Anonymousreply 24October 9, 2024 4:52 AM

Mafuckin!’

I wuz razed rite.

by Anonymousreply 25October 9, 2024 4:53 AM

F23: Who the fuck is Joana Dana? Do you mean Roseanne Roseannadanna? And no, it isn't.

by Anonymousreply 26October 9, 2024 4:54 AM

She was a highlight of Batman Returns, against some fairly stiff competition.

by Anonymousreply 27October 9, 2024 5:05 AM

"Attitudes" was also very funny. If you remember the actual "Attitudes" talk show it was a spot-on parody. Jan Hooks as the insecure, trying too hard Dee Kelly and Nora Dunn as the brassy and obnoxious Linda Dano.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 9, 2024 5:05 AM

R26 Yea that’s who I meant. My fault, I didn’t grow up with other that era of SNL, just reruns.

by Anonymousreply 29October 9, 2024 5:07 AM

That Geena Davis hosted show was great. The version on line I saw cuts one of the funniest skits where Geena teaches women how to be game show presenters. "Flourish the hands, ladies, flourish the hands."

by Anonymousreply 30October 9, 2024 5:12 AM

[quote]Sad that Designing Women had already jumped the shark by the time she turned up there.

Nevertheless, the sixth season was the highest-rated.

SEASON ONE = #33

SEASON TWO = #34

SEASON THREE = #33

SEASON FOUR = #22

SEASON FIVE = #10

SEASON SIX = #6

SEASON SEVEN = #67

by Anonymousreply 31October 9, 2024 5:22 AM

It really is, R18! There were ten Sweeney Sisters sketches over three seasons. NONE of them are included in the abbreviated SNL episodes on Peacock, which is unbelievable. You'd think that they would included at least one -- like the Christmas medley (William Shatner) or when they serenaded Paul Simon (host) with Bridge Over Troubled Water. ("You gave us your LOVE!!")

by Anonymousreply 32October 9, 2024 5:51 AM

Pace picante sauce commercial featuring Jan before she was famous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 9, 2024 5:54 AM

If I have found out I had terminal cancer I would pretty much do the same thing poor Jan did.

by Anonymousreply 34October 9, 2024 5:56 AM

P.S. Meant to link this at R32

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 9, 2024 5:57 AM

Best of Jan Hooks playlist on SNL's youtube channel:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 9, 2024 6:17 AM

She had the most beautiful smile. Her whole face would change when she smiled.

by Anonymousreply 37October 9, 2024 8:04 AM

I'm ashamed to say that I must have forgotten she had died. She was funny on the Church Lady skit where she played Marla Maples. I didn't realize she'd had so many difficulties, either. Poor Lady.

by Anonymousreply 38October 9, 2024 9:20 AM

R28 That is one of my favorites. So demented. And how good is Nora Dunn?

I am so glad Tina Fey talked Jan into doing 30 Rock. Verna was perfect, with her saggy boob and feather earrings. If Jan had not done the show, her last in-person screen appearance would have been that awful Jiminy Glick movie.

by Anonymousreply 39October 9, 2024 11:34 AM

R5 Bette Davis will video was the best- over over.

by Anonymousreply 40October 9, 2024 1:56 PM

She was so reclusive and wary, so uncommitted to thriving, one wonders what the hell happened to her. Maybe some childhood trauma there.

by Anonymousreply 41October 9, 2024 2:00 PM

[Quote] She just wanted live with her demons

More than she wanted live from New York

by Anonymousreply 42October 9, 2024 3:13 PM

[Quote] So sad she let her inner demons eat her alive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 9, 2024 3:17 PM

She spent the last fifteen or so years of her life as a semi-recluse, holed up in her house in Upstate NY drinking and smoking. So sad. She was one of the best comedic actresses ever, imho. So talented. Obviously she had a lot of problems.

by Anonymousreply 44October 9, 2024 3:25 PM

Saw her grave stone in Georgia. Ten years and it’s leaning forward ready to topple-unless someone’s tried to steal it.

by Anonymousreply 45October 9, 2024 9:54 PM

Maybe Lucy and Ethel?

by Anonymousreply 46October 9, 2024 10:09 PM

That was the year we lost so much great comedic talent - Robin Williams, Joan Rivers and Jan Hooks...all within weeks of each other.

by Anonymousreply 47October 9, 2024 11:33 PM

She was so interesting to watch, with that beautiful smile and hugely expressive face. She was also willing to perform characters at the edge of madness. One skit, where she plays a strident waitress who is destabilized by a handsome drifter played by Alec Baldwin, was near genius sketch comedy.

by Anonymousreply 48October 10, 2024 12:30 AM

R47 I always will remember that Robin Williams and Joan died right behind each other. RW was my childhood; Joan was my early 20s gay awakening when I was slowly on the path to live my truth. They both were hysterical in very different ways. I miss them both though I think I miss Joan more.

by Anonymousreply 49October 10, 2024 12:55 AM

I loved her on the late night basic cable TV show “Tush” out of Atlanta. She was hilarious as an alien vixen in the show’s “Flash Gordon” spoofs.

by Anonymousreply 50October 10, 2024 2:56 AM

"I got the meat, Jack"

by Anonymousreply 51October 10, 2024 3:15 AM

This was such a sad, lonely death to me. She was truly gifted as a comedienne.

by Anonymousreply 52October 10, 2024 3:31 AM

She was wonderful but only human. Was so glad to hear Joan was dead and the hilarious way she died- Death by Dentist-thx Joan.

by Anonymousreply 53October 10, 2024 2:42 PM

I loved her in Batman Returns - she's possibly the funniest thing in the whole film and she's only got one scene.

"Our research tells us voters like fingers..."

Underrated film all round.

by Anonymousreply 54October 12, 2024 1:06 AM

She clearly had problems with depression, low self confidence and alcohol. A shame, because she was a unique talent who should've had a bigger career.

by Anonymousreply 55October 12, 2024 1:07 AM

R54 She was supposed to have two scenes but refused to return to set. Her costar Steve Witting talks about it:

“Well, Jan had gotten a part on a show called Designing Women, which shot on the lot. And she had a really funny part as the Alamo tour guide in Tim’s movie Pee Wee’s Big Adventure. I remember we were supposed to shoot another scene together for Batman, but she had come up with a reason not to do it.

There was going to be another scene with Jen and Josh?

Yeah, and I don’t know if Jan had an issue with it, but she used the excuse that because she was shooting Designing Women she couldn’t shoot the other scene. So, this scene would’ve been where Batman and Catwoman meet at a big party.

Shreck’s annual Maxquerade Ball.

Yeah, the fancy costume black tie thing.

But Jan didn’t want to?

She just wouldn’t do it. I remember going on the lot and begging her, “Please, I know you’ve got a job, and you’re great, but I need this.” But she never relented for whatever reason, and we never shot that scene.“

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 12, 2024 1:38 AM

The last season of Designing Women has to be one of the worst seasons ever done of a TV show, but I agree that Hooks was arguably the only bright spot in it.

by Anonymousreply 57October 12, 2024 1:56 AM

My fave female SNL star bar none. Her and Phil Hartman remain King and Queen of SNL for me.

by Anonymousreply 58October 12, 2024 1:58 AM

Jan's Bette Davis was hysterical. She even had the same bemused eye expression.

by Anonymousreply 59October 12, 2024 2:00 AM

Jan as Bette-the best!

by Anonymousreply 60October 12, 2024 2:04 AM

She was great as Bette but nothing will ever equal her Tammy Faye Baker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 12, 2024 2:07 AM

R56, that makes me sad for both of them.

I wonder what the scene was.

by Anonymousreply 62October 12, 2024 2:32 AM

Doesn’t seem like 10 years to me because I’ve watched her in videos these years and just love her stuff. I hope that is comforting for her-Love you Jan…

by Anonymousreply 63October 12, 2024 3:36 AM

Oh, her does, R58?

by Anonymousreply 64October 12, 2024 3:49 AM

[quote] I loved her on the late night basic cable TV show “Tush” out of Atlanta.

R50 So did I. She was the absolute standout performer on that short-lived 1980-81 show. I remember an episode in which members of the cast were trying to take control of the show away from host Bill Tush, who I think used to introduce the show by saying, “Hi, and welcome to Tush.” At the point that Jan got control of the show, she walked up to the camera, put on her big smile, cocked her head sideways, and said in her southern drawl, “Hi, and welcome to “HOOKS!” It still makes me laugh. She could make almost anything funny.

by Anonymousreply 65October 12, 2024 7:02 AM

I drove out by her old house in Bearsville this summer. She lived closer to Glenford. It is pretty isolated. Dreary too. It’s still gray. A big thank you to the person who posted it on here a few years ago.

I can’t imagine her wandering around Woodstock. Guess she didn’t go to town much. I did notice Glenford had a nice liquor store next to a Hannaford supermarket, bet she loved that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 12, 2024 2:02 PM

I remember finding that second Jen & Josh scene in an online version of the Batman Returns script (sorry I don't have a link). They would have appeared at the costume ball, dressed as the Catwoman & Batman, sneering at Selina & Bruce for showing up without costumes. It's a shame that Jan didn't want to do it, because it would have been funny. But I guess Shreck making fun of Bruce's lack of a costume serves the same purpose.

by Anonymousreply 67October 14, 2024 9:48 PM

Strike that, I just found a link. It also demonstrates how much more effective the final scene is versus the one that was written.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68October 14, 2024 9:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!