Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Olympic swimmers

I know they wear goggles when practicing, but in meets do they wear them? I would think they would come off easily when diving into the pool.

by Anonymousreply 13October 12, 2024 2:57 AM

I"m guessing they tilt their heads in just the right way to make sure the goggles stay on.

I could probably goggle it to find out for sure.

I mean google.

by Anonymousreply 1October 11, 2024 4:03 AM

They always wear them - including meets. You usually get the tension and the seal correctly and it's not a big deal. BUT - they can still flip and they can flood. That can happen but rare nowadays. Happened to Phelps in 2008 Olympics.

I'm always surprised at the ones who wear them in backstroke, but they make it work. Many also wear nose plugs for backstroke due to how much underwater kicking there is.

What's insane is goggles weren't a thing until the late 70's. Before then, many didn't wear goggles OR swimcaps. Just rawdogged it with super chlorinated eyes.

I remember that - I started swimming on a team in 1976 - just burning eyes every single day.

by Anonymousreply 2October 11, 2024 4:54 AM

I swim regularly but not Olympically (a LONG way from fast enough or good enough for that). I always wear goggles, otherwise your eyes do end up burning. And with the right fit and tension they dont come off when you dive in.

R2 I didnt know that goggles were a new(ish) thing, TIL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 11, 2024 5:09 AM

R3 - pics of East German women swimmers. No caps, no goggles. 1976 olympics.

There were a few using them at that time, but they were extremely unreliable at the dive off the blocks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 11, 2024 5:46 AM

I’m guessing they don’t wear the $8 ones you get at CVS.

by Anonymousreply 5October 11, 2024 6:03 AM

Goggles are essential during training as you pass your team mates at close proximity while sharing lanes.

by Anonymousreply 6October 11, 2024 6:04 AM

r6, I know they use them when training, because they don't generally dive in when training. I'm talking about at meets.

by Anonymousreply 7October 11, 2024 3:31 PM

R4 that was hard-ly the only story going on

by Anonymousreply 8October 11, 2024 3:41 PM

R8 - Yeah I know - but it's insane that caps and goggles are a relatively new 'tech' for swimming. Here's Mark Spitz - no cap or goggles - which was standard.

The IOC needs to strip all of the medals from East Germans and others that have documented proof of doping and give the participants their rightly earned medals. But that's a different discussion.

by Anonymousreply 9October 11, 2024 5:38 PM

Ok R6 / OP!

by Anonymousreply 10October 11, 2024 5:40 PM

I Googled goggles and broke the internet.

by Anonymousreply 11October 11, 2024 6:35 PM

Of course swimmers dive in to the pool during training, R6! How do you think they practice their starts? They also do drills of, e.g. swimming two lengths, climbing out then diving in again, for endurance.

by Anonymousreply 12October 11, 2024 8:56 PM

but not every workout, r12. Just now and then.

by Anonymousreply 13October 12, 2024 2:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!