Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Internet Archive is Down to Me

Second day in a row. I'm an Eldergay who needs his elderbooks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 15, 2024 6:15 PM

RIP, internet archive

by Anonymousreply 1October 11, 2024 3:52 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 11, 2024 4:09 AM

[quote]An account on X under the name SN_BlackMeta claimed responsibility for the attack on The Internet Archive, a nonprofit organization, and implied that further attacks were planned.

So the hackers are wannabe terrorist incels who don't want to leave the comfort of their basement computer to fight for the Palestinians they don't give two shits about. Got it.

by Anonymousreply 3October 11, 2024 4:19 AM

omg. A couple weeks ago I found a rare book that I used to own but in a fit of housecleaning I got rid of it. Immediately regretted it and have been looking for another copy ever since. Just happened to check the archive and someone had uploaded it. I was able to download the pdf, I was so happy.

by Anonymousreply 4October 11, 2024 4:51 AM

Elizabeth Taylor's diet book is uploaded on the site

by Anonymousreply 5October 11, 2024 7:33 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 11, 2024 11:58 AM

I'm signed up to "Have I been pwned" and recieved email notification that they were hacked in late September. 31 million email addresses compromised.

by Anonymousreply 7October 11, 2024 4:40 PM

Why would pro-Palestine hackers choose the Internet Archive to attack? More likely it's the book publishers that long to see them shut down.

by Anonymousreply 8October 11, 2024 5:24 PM

Internet Archive ‪@archive.org‬

Latest update on the DDOS attack from Brewster Kahle (Oct 11 @ 10:22am PT):

"The data is safe. Services are offline as we examine and strengthen them. Sorry, but needed. @internetarchive staff is working hard. Estimated Timeline: days, not weeks. Thank you for the offers of pizza (we are set)."

by Anonymousreply 9October 11, 2024 6:24 PM

That's great news, R9. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 10October 12, 2024 12:48 AM

[quote] Why would pro-Palestine hackers choose the Internet Archive to attack?

They don’t.

by Anonymousreply 11October 12, 2024 1:16 AM

I lerve the Internet Archive. I contribute a little something regularly and want to leave them big money in my will.

by Anonymousreply 12October 12, 2024 2:43 AM

Still down.

by Anonymousreply 13October 12, 2024 7:26 AM

I'm worried that all these sites are going to go. I don't even use them, but it's nice to know that free books are available.

by Anonymousreply 14October 12, 2024 10:50 AM

They have one of my books scanned but I don't mind or miss the royalties because I can access so many other old books.

by Anonymousreply 15October 12, 2024 10:54 AM

Fuck this. I’m sick of my work being bootlegged into this site.

by Anonymousreply 16October 12, 2024 11:31 AM

R16 = Sidney Sheldon

by Anonymousreply 17October 12, 2024 11:49 AM

Still down.

by Anonymousreply 18October 13, 2024 3:08 AM

The quick go-to source for Dataloungers looking to read THAT GIRL AND PHIL, which was carefully and lovingly scanned and uploaded to the IA.

by Anonymousreply 19October 13, 2024 3:21 AM

Phil himself uploaded THAT GIRL AND PHIL "to ensure future generations know the cold-blooded truth."

by Anonymousreply 20October 13, 2024 4:04 AM

Imagine how tedious it would be for a person to scan a 300 page book. Unless a machine could do it.

by Anonymousreply 21October 13, 2024 4:06 AM

It’s easy if the pages aren’t bound. I wonder if that’s what they do. It would be ruinous to the books

by Anonymousreply 22October 13, 2024 5:21 AM

I’m bummed. I’m always reading a couple on there. They’re really getting dumped on by publishers now. I wonder if pubs had something to do with the hack. There is almost no reason to buy a real book or go to the library with between it and kindle. And eBay for a cheap real book if you must.

by Anonymousreply 23October 13, 2024 8:39 AM

Hathi Trust digital library and The Online Books Page are other sites I also go to.

by Anonymousreply 24October 13, 2024 8:46 AM

Still down.

by Anonymousreply 25October 14, 2024 1:07 AM

Important as pleasure reading is, Internet Archive also is important to historical and other academic research. It's a significant component of work for a book project I'm on now, and it's distressing to be hobbling along without it, because the research will be incomplete. [italic]gasp[/italic] INCOMPLETE, I tells ya!

by Anonymousreply 26October 14, 2024 1:19 AM

Why are all these sites being targeted now?

by Anonymousreply 27October 14, 2024 4:40 AM

[quote]A hacker group called "SN_BLACKMETA" claimed responsibility, saying it had targeted the archive "because [it] belongs to the USA" and linked the attack to the US government's alliance and support of Israel.

[Quote]The Internet Archive is not owned by the US government and has no ties to Israel.

[Quote]“They’re probably doing it more for the shock value and visibility of the story,” Dr Buchanan said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 14, 2024 4:52 AM

Looks like it's working, again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 14, 2024 5:06 AM

Wayback Machine (provisional, read-only) service.

by Anonymousreply 30October 14, 2024 7:12 AM

Same.

by Anonymousreply 31October 15, 2024 1:25 AM

‪Internet Archive‬ ‪@archive.org‬

15h Latest update from @brewster.kahle.org: “@waybackmachine volume is back to normal: 1,500 requests per second. Sorry we don't have other services yet. (Your good wishes have helped a good team @internetarchive ) more as it happens.”

by Anonymousreply 32October 15, 2024 6:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!