Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I miss colorful houses

Growing up in the 80s and 90s, everybody had colorful carpet in their living room, and colorful walls and/or wallpaper. I remember visiting people’s homes and they had either blue or green carpet in the living room. Sometimes pink. People used to have colored fixtures in their bathroom that were either powder blue or pink.

I remember sometime around the year 2000, everything changed and the aesthetic became all white. White walls, white carpet, white floors. I wonder if it was the depressing feeling of the Bush years that brought this on. Everything just became boring and depressing and sad.

by Anonymousreply 45October 12, 2024 1:39 AM

I agree. I hate this white, bland, open concept, kitchen island, stainless steel everywhere, white subway tile, no color anywhere but white, grey, beige or metals/black, farmhouse sink, laminate flooring, barn doors crap.

by Anonymousreply 1October 11, 2024 4:37 PM

OP start a revolution. Bring the trend back. Become a prolific home decorator.

by Anonymousreply 2October 11, 2024 4:44 PM

It's called 50 Shades of Millenial Gray

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 11, 2024 4:45 PM

Gray is for penitentiaries & tombstones.

by Anonymousreply 4October 11, 2024 4:48 PM

We're not going back, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 11, 2024 4:49 PM

Greyapalooza is already passe. Turns out human beings don't want to live in an Ikea prison cell.

by Anonymousreply 6October 11, 2024 4:57 PM

I like yellow for the kitchen, pink in the bathroom, red in the dining room, blue in the bedroom. I also miss wallpaper. Everything is so drab and boring today.

by Anonymousreply 7October 11, 2024 4:58 PM

Too bad you missed the 70s OP. Puke Green, Mustard Yellow and Awful Orange.

by Anonymousreply 8October 11, 2024 5:10 PM

I'm R5 and was just being silly. I agree, R6 - color is back in a big way and Grey Magnolia Farmhouse Style is out.

by Anonymousreply 9October 11, 2024 5:11 PM

I miss colorful cars, too.

There’s more to life than black, white and silver/grey.

by Anonymousreply 10October 11, 2024 5:13 PM

R8 My aunt had a 60s house and never updated the bathroom. Avocado green fixtures.

by Anonymousreply 11October 11, 2024 5:42 PM

"Grey Magnolia Farmhouse Style is out."

Are Chip and Joanna Gaines on their way out, too?

by Anonymousreply 12October 11, 2024 5:42 PM

OP is right. So much griege. And white. It shows a lack of imagination, a lack of boldness. And its SO dull

Modern houses are (mostly) so sterile and underwhelming, and in some cases aggressively ugly

by Anonymousreply 13October 11, 2024 5:46 PM

[quote]I wonder if it was the depressing feeling of the Bush years that brought this on.

No. Instead blame those fucking Property Brothers. Since they went on the air in 2009 they have hawked timid, monocromatic color schemes, white on white on white kitchens, and gray, lots of gray. Now they have a zillion hours of programming in 150 countries Five years ago they had 180 hours of 'Property Brothers' in the bag, just that one show of their catalogue of titles. These former magicians are ostensibly a contractor and a real estate agent, but they present themselves as magicians of interiors (they seem never to touch the exterior of a house, or more than a few camera-worthy rooms, but that´s the magic of television.) Their style is insipid and driven purely by corporate sponsors: switching from granite to quartz to marble to syntehtic stone counterops as their chief sponsors hav dictated. They hate color, doling it out only very begrudingly when a 'client' insists. Mostly their color exists in irritatingly small accents and kicthn backsplashes (glass mosaic tile anyone, yeah, the long skinny kind, as seen on TV!)

Big budget, small budget, it all looks the same: middle of the middle of the road and, barring the occasional karate-chopped decorative sofa cushion, remarkably color free. Though they did climb high onto the universal gray wagon, and, a few years behind the times, are still riding high. Of course these two, bland even by Canadian standards, didn´t start any trends except maybe mediocrity, they didn't earn a quarter billion between them selling anything they didn't know would sell to the widest possible market.

Color is an interesting class marker in houses. It never went out of style for the very rich, for old money, for artists and creative people, for interior designers with real nowledge and training (not the ones with one trick and a brash atitude up their sleeves.)

Millenial Grey is love-hated by Gen Z we are told, but there´s more to it than that. Everybody hates it, yet is quick to use it for their own house and think it looks Fucking Battleship Brilliant (Not Too Grey) Grey. I think it has more to do with a not one but a few generations weaned on a complete absence of visual taste, a super-internationalization/homogenizaton of taste so that any reasonably properous digs in Abu Dhabi or London or Paris or Berlin or Chicago or Los Angeles or Copenhagen looks more or less like any Four Seasons Hotel junior suite anywhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 11, 2024 5:47 PM

R6, I just wanted to say I recognize your writing from any number of tasteful friends-related threads and I always love hearing your takes!

by Anonymousreply 15October 11, 2024 6:01 PM

Sorry R6 that was meant for R14 - but I agree with your take too!

by Anonymousreply 16October 11, 2024 6:02 PM

Millenial Grey, here to stay for a while

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 11, 2024 6:03 PM

I think the reason for this trend cited by R14 is that Chip and Joanna, and the Property Brothers, ad nauseum, think of your home as an asset to be marketed and sold, not as a place to be personalized and lived in and enjoyed by you and your family. And in order for it to appeal to the broadest possible market, you have to make it as depersonalized as possible, even if you have no intention of selling your home immediately.

Remember, the first rule realtors tell you to do when putting your home on the market is depersonalize it by getting rid of all traces of its humanity.

by Anonymousreply 18October 11, 2024 6:04 PM

[quote] Too bad you missed the 70s OP. Puke Green, Mustard Yellow and Awful Orange.

It was avocado and harvest gold. The orange had a special name, too, but I don't know what.

by Anonymousreply 19October 11, 2024 6:06 PM

[quote] I remember sometime around the year 2000, everything changed and the aesthetic became all white. White walls, white carpet, white floors

Hello?

by Anonymousreply 20October 11, 2024 6:18 PM

Gays like primary colors and childish things, and tacky stuff too, can you say loud and trashy? Not everything has to be in Drag Queen colors.

by Anonymousreply 21October 11, 2024 6:21 PM

[quote] think the reason for this trend cited by [R14] is that Chip and Joanna, and the Property Brothers, ad nauseum, think of your home as an asset to be marketed and sold, not as a place to be personalized and lived in and enjoyed by you and your family

Yep. I had a green kitchen and eggplant bathroom. When I let my flat out to tenants, the agent took one look and said “paint it white”.

by Anonymousreply 22October 11, 2024 6:23 PM

I have a real nostalgia for 60s and early 70s interior design. I love green shag carpet and colorful wallpaper - crazy kitchen design, too.

by Anonymousreply 23October 11, 2024 6:23 PM

I miss Brady Bunch orange.

by Anonymousreply 24October 11, 2024 6:24 PM

IIRC, R19, it was called "burnt orange."

by Anonymousreply 25October 11, 2024 6:28 PM

My childhood bedroom was burnt orange. I picked the color.

by Anonymousreply 26October 11, 2024 6:30 PM

I never understood the appeal of the house-flipping TV shows. The results were so boring, trendy yet generic, and unduly budget-oriented.

I'd rather see someone make choices regarding their "forever house." That's where you get some personality and creativity. I like to see a splurge in one are of the house and maybe some budget choices in another area.

by Anonymousreply 27October 11, 2024 6:37 PM

I feel Iike burnt orange was the autumnal 70s shade that never really went away - at least as an accent color and iespecially in fabrics - especially compared to harvest gold and avacado green.

Maybe because it looks good next to greyed neutrals and stronger earth tones, maybe because it’s a complementary to dark blues (another almost neutral that people feel safe using in interiors)?

by Anonymousreply 28October 11, 2024 6:41 PM

The classic Le Creuset (enameled cast iron) dutch oven is "flame," which reminds me of the '70s burnt orange color.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 11, 2024 6:51 PM

LOL my mother could cook anything in that orange pot. Though none of us cooked and there were so many things of great value, it's the one thing we had a friendly fight over when my mother died. That and her pancake skittle.

by Anonymousreply 30October 11, 2024 6:59 PM

Profit-driven TV decorators are just a symptom of a society slowly commoditizing itself. All things must be immediately profitable or else!

by Anonymousreply 31October 11, 2024 7:08 PM

The compounding stupidity of the public was clear many years ago on HGTV's "House Hunters" when prospective buyers would tour an empty house with their realtor and ask, one room after the next, "What is this room for?" The room next to the kitchen with the low hanging chandelier over where once had been a dining table: "What is this room for?"

The answer of course is "This room, like the test, is for whatever you want to do with it.". How ridiculous are people who can't figure out they would do with each room of a 7 room house when they are explicitly looking for a 3 or 4 bedroom house?

It's no wonder people live in houses painted in shaded of Oatmeal, with Oatmeal furniture and a sea of Neutrals. They are so timid you might think they were freshly released from the booby-hatch and warned to avoid the least hint if excitement in all forms. In a sea of whites and natural wood and a palette of Porridge, 50 Shades of Gray must seem very bold indeed.

by Anonymousreply 32October 11, 2024 7:46 PM

*over which

by Anonymousreply 33October 11, 2024 7:46 PM

In the 60s-70s my mother decorated our house according to Bewitched. We even had the same front door. Looking back, color tv was still a novelty and it seemed they packed as much color in the decor as they could. Viewers followed suit.

by Anonymousreply 34October 11, 2024 7:54 PM

Gray is a neutral color. The millennials and younger generations find solace in neutrality. Committing to a color indicates a fixed preference which feels self-limiting.

by Anonymousreply 35October 11, 2024 8:07 PM

I grew up in the 60s and 70s. Our family room had these colors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 11, 2024 10:35 PM

I never understood home makeover shows when they talked about warming up the house with gray. I never saw gray as a warm color.

by Anonymousreply 37October 11, 2024 11:10 PM

I miss wall to wall carpet. At one point, carpeting was considered elegant, as hardwood floors were the stuff of tenements and poverty. Somewhere along the way that all changed. Wood flooring should be used sparingly. Cheap ass miniscule floor rugs in bedrooms is not attractive.

And baths? These shitty inch think pieces of glass that are now substitutes for glamorous shower curtains. All i can think about is some poor son of a bitch tripping over themselves and falling through it. Besides, who wants to look at someone's average looking naked body when you walk into a bathroom? There's beauty in mystique.

by Anonymousreply 38October 11, 2024 11:18 PM

We're simplifying

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 12, 2024 12:11 AM

Area rugs should cover all but the border of the room.

by Anonymousreply 40October 12, 2024 12:53 AM

I soooooo agreeeeeee!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 12, 2024 1:04 AM

I loved semi-gloss peony for living room and kitchen with flat blue mint for bedrooms. Peony loved western sun and blue mint glowed at dawn.

R40, wall to wall carpeting was designed to keep sound down. With three shouty kids, you needed a sound barrier on the floor.

by Anonymousreply 42October 12, 2024 1:04 AM

[quote] I never saw gray as a warm color.

Art (applied) major here.

Gray can be warm or cool. Bluish-gray is cool. Gray with some brown mixed in is warm.

My local Post Office has one wall that, IMO, is painted the perfect shade of warm gray.

by Anonymousreply 43October 12, 2024 1:23 AM

I live in a small-town state capitol where everything is CAREFUL. Cars, houses, yards, hairstyles, clothing. You’ll never get these people to do something everyone they know isn’t doing. Beige everywhere all the time makes them feel safe.

by Anonymousreply 44October 12, 2024 1:32 AM

I grew up in the suburbs, but there were no covenants, etc., about what color you could paint your house. You were free to plant whatever kinds of trees you wanted, etc.

There were some pretty crazy colors on the EXTERIOR paint jobs. Lime green, pink, etc.

One of our neighbors was pretty prissy about his house. He complained about another neighbor who "farmed the front yard." (This other neighbor had vegetables growing in the front yard.)

Anyway, our house: beige. It was a hot climate, so it probably made sense.

by Anonymousreply 45October 12, 2024 1:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!