Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Any ideas.. I wasted 20.00 on ingredients- Chocolate Chip Cookie disaster

I fucked these cookies up somehow and I could not get them to mix- they were totally crumbled. So I googled and added some melted butter and water.

Anyway, they rise but do not spread.

And due to the water they are not very rich or have the correct texture. They are more cakey but gluey.

Im like fuck it, let me turn these into bars and throw them into a brownie pan.

Is there anything I can do to salvage these. Including choke on them. What a waste of time!

by Anonymousreply 54October 13, 2024 8:34 AM

“I’m like”

by Anonymousreply 1October 11, 2024 7:33 PM

Post the recipe.

by Anonymousreply 2October 11, 2024 7:38 PM

R1- I am burnt out- It was a fucking disaster. I'm like totally buggin'

by Anonymousreply 3October 11, 2024 7:40 PM

Throw them away. Don't spend any more time on this, and don't think about it. We all fuck up baking a few times.

by Anonymousreply 4October 11, 2024 7:41 PM

Here they are- I have made them twice before and they are EXCELLENT

I really fucked these up, and cannot figure out how

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 11, 2024 7:42 PM

We’ve all suffered similarly

by Anonymousreply 6October 11, 2024 7:47 PM

Op I might have made the same mistake as I am also a novice baker

by Anonymousreply 7October 11, 2024 7:49 PM

OP send them to Aaron Rodgers. So he can smell him and then come out.

by Anonymousreply 8October 11, 2024 7:50 PM

Smoke copious amounts of pot, Silly.

by Anonymousreply 9October 11, 2024 7:55 PM

They're cookies, OP! You dump the ingredients in the bowl and stir. Jesus Christ!

by Anonymousreply 10October 11, 2024 7:57 PM

Seldom seen instructions from the recipe: “try freezing your balls”

by Anonymousreply 11October 11, 2024 7:59 PM

You could crumble them, then toss with sweet bourbon, or cherry liqueur. Eat with custard or ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 12October 11, 2024 7:59 PM

OP smells cookies.

by Anonymousreply 13October 11, 2024 8:09 PM

"they rise but do not spread"

Those are called "strict tops".

by Anonymousreply 14October 11, 2024 8:10 PM

From a former Assistant Manager at Mrs. Field's Cookies in my 20s (and lifelong baker):

Cream sugar and butter together (butter shouldn't be completely room temperature, otherwise when you put them in the oven, they will spread too much as they bake).

Add eggs to butter/sugar and mix well until thoroughly combined.

Mix flour and baking soda (or baking soda/baking powder combo, as some people do) in a separate bowl, stirring thoroughly to ensure that the leavening agent is completely incorporated throughout flour. Add to butter/sugar/egg mixture approximately one cup at a time (do not overbeat/overmix). With the last bit of flour/baking soda combo, stir and just before completely incorporated in main mix, add in chocolate chips and mix until dough looks completely combined. Again, DO NOT OVERMIX...this will result in cookies that end up spreading instead of rising.

Bake at 350 degrees on ungreased cookie sheet (with parchment paper or silicone baking mat, preferably).

Some people think you should use "room temperature" eggs and in my experience, this is not at all necessary for chocolate chip cookies.

by Anonymousreply 15October 11, 2024 8:17 PM

Are you all ready for this?

I bought this edgy "measuring" cup from this company called Bodega (they have 2 stores- in Boston and LA) I never used it before today.

The FUCKING measuring cup is FUCKED!

The "1 cup" measurement is actually 2 cups! I just got a measuring cup that I generally used and tested it.

I doubled the flour due to my bougie measuring cup!

by Anonymousreply 16October 11, 2024 8:24 PM

Here is the piece of shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 11, 2024 8:25 PM

Make something like Butterscotch Pudding; and once the pudding cools crumble the disastrous pseudo-cookies on top (like streusel).

by Anonymousreply 18October 11, 2024 8:33 PM

Well, there's your answer, too much dry ingredients.

R15, why are you posting instructions for a problem that OP doesn't have.

by Anonymousreply 19October 11, 2024 8:35 PM

And calm down, Mary/OP. Geez.

by Anonymousreply 20October 11, 2024 8:36 PM

Can I pour condensed milk on top?

I have a jar!

by Anonymousreply 21October 11, 2024 8:36 PM

Side point: the ratio of white to brown sugar sounds suspect (soft, flabby cookie):

1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar 1 and 1/4 cups (247 grams) lightly packed light brown sugar

by Anonymousreply 22October 11, 2024 8:39 PM

R15 what would be the time where room temp eggs would, in fact, be needed?

(Just curious. Had a friend who owned a bakery business and she did this, but never quite understood what the difference in temperature did in the process.)

by Anonymousreply 23October 11, 2024 8:42 PM

I am not sure how one even goes about screwing up Chocolate Chip Cookies, unless you screwed up something like adding the same ingredient twice, or not adding an ingredient.

by Anonymousreply 24October 11, 2024 8:45 PM

Use this cookie recipe next time if you want perfect cookies, OP.

Some notes:

Use Kerry Gold butter and brown 10 tablespoons of it on the stove, don't cheat by using the microwave

Break up two bars for Lindt chocolate for the chocolate chips. I highly recommend one bar of 70% coco dark chocolate and one bar of dark chocolate with sea salt.

Bake 1.25 cups of walnuts in the oven for 5 minutes at 350F, set aside

Use the darkest brown sugar they sell at your grocery store.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 11, 2024 8:50 PM

OP explained above that his new measuring "cup" actually measures two cups, so he put in double the correct amount of flour.

Do keep up, r24.

by Anonymousreply 26October 11, 2024 8:51 PM

R17 - that is a LIQUID measuring cup. A dry measuring cup is actually different.

by Anonymousreply 27October 11, 2024 9:01 PM

r19 - i was attempting to help OP troubleshoot where he went wrong, whether it was procedural or ingredients (or lack thereof).

However, he obviously used the wrong ratio of ingredients.

No need to be so bitchy. Take a Xanax.

by Anonymousreply 28October 11, 2024 9:03 PM

r23 I think the room temp eggs thing is more for baking cakes than anything else. I've never, EVER used room temp eggs for cookies. And I bake a lot.

by Anonymousreply 29October 11, 2024 9:09 PM

Store-bought is fine, OP

by Anonymousreply 30October 11, 2024 9:12 PM

Exactly! There are bakeries, OP!

by Anonymousreply 31October 11, 2024 9:18 PM

This thread has convinced me baking is harder than it sounds.

by Anonymousreply 32October 11, 2024 9:39 PM

As someone else said, use a dry measuring cup for dry ingredients, not a liquid measuring cup. Also, for dry ingredients in significant quantities, you are usually better off spooning things like flour into the measuring cup rather than scooping it with the measuring cup itself, as the latter can sometimes pack the flour in and you end up adding more of it than the recipe is calling for. Loosely filling with flour is often better than packing it in for baked goods.

by Anonymousreply 33October 11, 2024 10:13 PM

Absolutely agree with r33 about spooning flour into your dry measuring cup, don't scoop as it will compact the flour and you will get more than you need, which will have an effect on the consistency of the finished baked good.

r32 baking is actually a study in chemistry. It's not as easy as it seems; many things can affect the final product. Even I have had a loaf of bread or batch of cookies not turn out from time to time, and i've been baking for 40+ years.

by Anonymousreply 34October 11, 2024 10:52 PM

Throw them out and have a couple of celery sticks instead.

by Anonymousreply 35October 11, 2024 10:54 PM

You type fat, OP.

by Anonymousreply 36October 11, 2024 11:05 PM

Better yet, use a scale and measure by weight:

by Anonymousreply 37October 11, 2024 11:58 PM

Good idea, R37. Weight the fat OP before he eats all the ruined cookies, then weigh him afterwards. Then we'll know the calories in the cookies.

by Anonymousreply 38October 12, 2024 12:00 AM

I made that Nieman Marcus $500 chocolate chip cookie recipe a couple of times and while the ingredients cost an arm and a leg, they are fantastic cookies. The ground oats and ground chocolate in the dough really make them a step above the normal cookie.

by Anonymousreply 39October 12, 2024 12:23 AM

What kind of dumb fuck can't properly execute a recipe for chocolate chip cookies

by Anonymousreply 40October 12, 2024 12:27 AM

I consider myself (haha) a decent cook. My mom made really good chocolate chip cookies. I used her recipe and they didn't come out as good as hers. My sister told me that Mom used to watch them like a hawk and take them out of the oven at just the right moment.

Another tip from my mom: after taking the cookies out of the oven, leave the cookies on the sheet for a while (don't try to scrape them off the sheet immediately). (My mom's recipe was more crispy than soft.)

The Doubletree choc. chip cookie also had a bit of oatmeal in them.

by Anonymousreply 41October 12, 2024 12:48 AM

R27 a cup of flour in a dry measuring cup vs a cup of flour in a liquid measuring = one cup. Exactly the same. Unless you are clumsy with the spatial reasoning of a fruit fly.

by Anonymousreply 42October 12, 2024 7:33 AM

Exactly, R42. The reason to use a dry measuring cup is to get the amount exact, not because 1 cup liquid is any different from 1 cup dry.

by Anonymousreply 43October 12, 2024 8:06 AM

It sounds like you forgot eggs or baking powder. Beat an egg and then coat the cookies in the egg. Sprinkle liberally with baking powder and bake for 4 to 5 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 44October 12, 2024 8:32 AM

Nobody sifts the dry ingredients together anymore?

by Anonymousreply 45October 12, 2024 4:11 PM

R27 Really? You are joking, right? I thought the good thing about cups was that it is simple. Freedom units get more confusing to me every day. So when a recipe calls for 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of milk, you have to know not to take the same cup?

by Anonymousreply 46October 12, 2024 4:58 PM

Have you not seen Two Girls One Cup? Everyone knows the dangers of using one cup.

by Anonymousreply 47October 12, 2024 7:43 PM

[quote] [R27] Really? You are joking, right? I thought the good thing about cups was that it is simple. Freedom units get more confusing to me every day. So when a recipe calls for 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of milk, you have to know not to take the same cup?

As other posters have already fucking said: the cup measurements (for volume) are the same for dry ingredients as they are for wet ingredients. Read the entire thread and Google. It's the same. Why do you select the one post that states something erroneous and hang on to that?

No wonder you can't make cookies. Geez.

by Anonymousreply 48October 12, 2024 7:47 PM

I haven't read all the responses but I've been guilty of trying to salvage cooking disasters by adding something else -- usually lemon juice, sugar, or noodles.

by Anonymousreply 49October 13, 2024 3:59 AM

Oh silly, you don’t need to throw those ingredients away. You just need to make a dump cake!

by Anonymousreply 50October 13, 2024 4:16 AM

What the fuck are the measurements on that cup R17? I’m so confused

by Anonymousreply 51October 13, 2024 5:18 AM

That's what happens when you buy something from a company that makes "menswear," "womenswear," and measuring cups.

by Anonymousreply 52October 13, 2024 5:24 AM

I make pan cookies. I’m not not spending time dropping balls of dough and switching out sheets in the oven. Maybe a tablespoon of molasses will make them chewy. I put that in my perfect eggless blondies and they were a great texture. You can’t taste the molasses.

by Anonymousreply 53October 13, 2024 8:33 AM

Most baked goods are better with a healthy dose of baking powder. I add more to them all.

by Anonymousreply 54October 13, 2024 8:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!