Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I just re-watched Carrie, and I have questions

Mainly: did all prom dresses in the mid-1970s look like the church attire of a 75-year-old woman from Greenfield, Iowa?

Even La Buckley's dress ages her considerably.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 12, 2024 11:24 PM

Yes, they did.

by Anonymousreply 1October 12, 2024 10:55 PM

There was a prairie look that was popular for a while. Maybe it affected the tastes in prom dresses.

by Anonymousreply 2October 12, 2024 10:58 PM

See Gunne Sax, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3October 12, 2024 11:00 PM

I was there. They were always floor length. A girl at my prom wore a "hanky hem" dress. She was shunned.

by Anonymousreply 4October 12, 2024 11:00 PM

Honey, it was made nearly [italic]fifty[/italic] years ago. Did you expect them somehow to look like the fashions of today?

by Anonymousreply 5October 12, 2024 11:20 PM

It was nearing our countries bicentennial. There was a lot of trendy nostalgia for colonial life. Remember holly hobbie?

by Anonymousreply 6October 12, 2024 11:22 PM

It started in the late 60s, “granny dresses” they were called.

by Anonymousreply 7October 12, 2024 11:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!