Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Genuinely terrible American accents used by Australian or British actors in film/TV productions

I’ll start with a recent one-Hugo Weaving’s attempt at an American accent in Slow Horses. My god, it’s awful. The way he pronounced the word “offer” alone almost made my ears bleed.

An example of a golden oldie horrible attempt at an American accent was Laurence Olivier’s in The Betsy. The man should never have been allowed to bray the word “car” in an American accent.

by Anonymousreply 5October 13, 2024 12:45 AM

Mafuckin!’

I wuz razed rite.

by Anonymousreply 1October 13, 2024 12:07 AM

At least they attempted. American actors are not good at foreign accents. Except for Meryl.

by Anonymousreply 2October 13, 2024 12:15 AM

I've been re-watching Downton Abbey and the black guy who plays the band leader Jack Ross does a [italic]horrible[/italic] American accent.

They couldn't have hired an American to play that part?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 13, 2024 12:22 AM

Sherlock: A Scandal in Belgravia - Todd Boyce plays CIA agent Neilson. I suspect that accent was something acceptable as an American accent to Brits, kinda like John Hillerman on Magnum, P.I. was supposedly English.

Shooting the Past - LIam Cunningham plays an American with an awful accent. While watching, I wondered if he might be trying some particular urban accent I was unfamiliar with. Then his character turned out to be from Virginia. I groaned. Just awful.

by Anonymousreply 4October 13, 2024 12:28 AM

No one on The Benny Hill Show could ever do an American accent.

by Anonymousreply 5October 13, 2024 12:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!