Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How long will a healthy housecat live?

It's only within the last 50 or 60 years since cats have been kept only indoors. If not completely feral, cats either lived outside (but sheltered in barns) or they were allowed inside but also let outside the house. It was impossible to predict lifespan because of disease, injuries, accidents, etc. Now that cats can be completely domesticated indoors with healthy food and stimulation, how long are they expected to live?

by Anonymousreply 32October 13, 2024 10:13 PM

My asshole cat is 11, and stays totally inside. He’s healthy as a horse. I think he could live to be 20.

by Anonymousreply 1October 13, 2024 4:24 AM

Average age of a cat is about 13 years.

I had one cat live to 15 years, another live to 19. Both were completely indoor cats -- loved and spoiled and now dearly missed.

by Anonymousreply 2October 13, 2024 4:29 AM

Mines will be hitting 15 years with me in November. She is showing signs of health issues and I need to to take her to the vet soon once I stabilize my income.

by Anonymousreply 3October 13, 2024 4:30 AM

My friend's cat lived until around 22 or 23. This was a smaller cat, dark-colored.

by Anonymousreply 4October 13, 2024 4:42 AM

My Burmese cat is 19.3 now. He's still in very good health, bright-eyed and with it and thinks he's a kitten sometimes. But he is a bit wobbly on his back legs and sleeps a lot.

by Anonymousreply 5October 13, 2024 4:52 AM

My sister had two that made it past 20, and I had two make it to 17 - all indoor after two years old. I now have three 4 year olds, all indoor, with better food than my husband and I eat (theirs is healthier and pricier) and great insurance, and I've had them since they were kittens (one was ten weeks old when I got him, the other two were 15 weeks) though all were rescued situations. They rule our home, and we gladly let them, and have their own personalities, each of which is unique and charming.

by Anonymousreply 6October 13, 2024 4:55 AM

I was shocked when one of my cats died at 11.

The vet said that after age 10, they’re considered senior citizens[bold] : (

by Anonymousreply 7October 13, 2024 5:10 AM

My pastel Calico was 17+ and my black Maine Coon mix (yet tiny) lived 'til 19 1/2. Both indoor girls.

by Anonymousreply 8October 13, 2024 6:33 AM

15 years or so like dogs. Things start going wrong with them at ten.

by Anonymousreply 9October 13, 2024 8:28 AM

I had one live to 25. Of all my many cats over the years, they averaged out at about 18.

by Anonymousreply 10October 13, 2024 8:51 AM

While growing up my family had two cats, one died at 17 and his sister at 21. I was particularly upset at the latter’s passing, we got her when I was 7 years old so she was part of my life for as long as I could remember.

My current kitty is 18.5 years and while he now has kidney disease and is on borrowed time I expect him to reach at least 19.

by Anonymousreply 11October 13, 2024 1:43 PM

People ask if I’ll get another cat after he dies but I probably won’t for two reasons. First, I’d like some greater freedom to travel without having to arrange for someone to look after the cat while I’m away, and second if it lives twenty years I’ll be in my 70s at that point and who knows what my situation will be like at that point?

by Anonymousreply 12October 13, 2024 1:45 PM

yeah, easily 10, but fifteen is not that unusual.

by Anonymousreply 13October 13, 2024 1:45 PM

r12, get a geriatric cat. they need the company and well, they will only have a few years anyway

by Anonymousreply 14October 13, 2024 1:46 PM

I’ve had many cats during my 58 years, both free roaming and indoor only. From my experience, if lymphoma doesn’t get them between 12 - 14, they can live into their late teens and early twenties, which is when kidney failure will get them.

by Anonymousreply 15October 13, 2024 1:59 PM

Wait. In the 1970s, cats were being regularly sheltered in barns?

Where was this? Rural America was not that large in the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 16October 13, 2024 2:27 PM

[quote]The vet said that after age 10, they’re considered senior citizens : (

That's my belief as well.

by Anonymousreply 17October 13, 2024 2:53 PM

Once your pussy starts to stink, it's all downhill.

by Anonymousreply 18October 13, 2024 2:54 PM

I read lifespan of indoor cats is about 14-16, although some can live longer. My beautiful orange boy is 15 with kidney and heart disease, he gets medication daily. I love him so much. Years ago I had a kitty who had cancer. I spend $25,000 on chemo but he died within a year of being diagnosed. Never again would I put an animals through chemo. At the time I just couldn't bear losing him, so he suffered, I just should have done palliative care..

by Anonymousreply 19October 13, 2024 3:26 PM

About a minute after the sack sinks to the bottom of the river.

by Anonymousreply 20October 13, 2024 3:29 PM

Our cat indoors outdoor until we realized that her mammaries we so distended she couldn't run fast anymore. She stayed the backyard with the dogs so we didn't worry, the transition was traumatic for her and especially us, she still whines to go out with the dogs, it's sad.

by Anonymousreply 21October 13, 2024 4:03 PM

It's more like how long can a housecat live without developing any serious health issues. The answer for me was 12 or 13 years. Depending on what disease they had some lived for several years after being diagnosed, some didn't.

It's heartbreaking. And even when they do live for years with a disease you still have to take them to the vet regularly and medicate them. $$$$$ and stress.

by Anonymousreply 22October 13, 2024 4:26 PM

If they don't get injured or killed by another animal or hit by a car, would a partially outdoor cat survive as long on average? I have a neighbor who has the most adorable black cat who is allowed to roam free, and is commonly all over the neighborhood making his rounds. He goes into people's back yards, hunts, spends time being pet by other people on the block, goes to adjacent blocks (I've seen him while driving on nearby blocks). Yet, he's at home every night and spends a good deal of time chilling in front of his own house his owner does yard work - which she does a LOT.

by Anonymousreply 23October 13, 2024 4:28 PM

Average of 15 years but it can live longer if it's not average.

by Anonymousreply 24October 13, 2024 4:38 PM

My niece had an outdoor cat who lived to 27.

by Anonymousreply 25October 13, 2024 4:42 PM

I've outlived them all!

by Anonymousreply 26October 13, 2024 6:07 PM

And with that horrible diet of yours, R26.

What ever happened to that queen, Nermal? So annoying.

by Anonymousreply 27October 13, 2024 6:13 PM

My aunt has a cat that’s over 200 years old. It’s stopped playing with yarn but otherwise seems in perfect health!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 13, 2024 6:26 PM

My previous cat lived 20 1/2 years.

by Anonymousreply 29October 13, 2024 6:36 PM

I once had a cat live to be nearly age 20. Another lived to age 16. Indoors always and very much loved.

My current boy is 7, indoors only, and doted on.

by Anonymousreply 30October 13, 2024 8:51 PM

[quote]I've outlived them all!

Hold my beer, Garfield.

by Anonymousreply 31October 13, 2024 9:50 PM

Is it lasagna lager, Felix?

by Anonymousreply 32October 13, 2024 10:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!