Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

GENERATIONAL: How Old Were You When You First Heard/Learned Curse Words? What Was The Source?

Did saying the word embolden you? Did that word or words become part of your vocabulary right then and there cause you knew it was taboo to say it? Did you learn those words as a child of the 40's 50s, 60s, 70s,80s, 90s, or this century?

Two sources for me:1959: Henry Miller's "Tropic of Cancer," just released into the general public. Line: "When I looked down at this fucked out cunt of a whore." Then this limerick, same year: "There was a young man from Nantucket, whose prick was so big he could suck it. He said with a grin as he wiped off his chin, if my ear was a cunt I could fuck it

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2024 5:38 AM

My parents, most of the adults in my part of East Falls (New Homes). Everyone cursed in the late 1960's.

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2024 1:17 AM

I was 10 (1971) and the word was cunt. I was on a trip with my family and another and we stopped at a gas station to stretch and get snacks. A reader board outside the store said, Reimpopie Cunt. I asked what a cunt was and everyone went silent. My brother told me later.

by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2024 1:22 AM

r2 What does "Reimpopie" mean?

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2024 1:25 AM

I never heard my Mom and Dad use foul language, curse words. Mom used "Hell", but even that was rare.

I heard bad words at school.

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2024 1:33 AM

Shakespeare: 12 years old...."These be her very C's, U's Ant' T's."

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2024 1:43 AM

I’m 59 and I just learned “darn it” last year, but I try to save it for when I’m extremely mad.

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2024 1:45 AM

Conception!

by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2024 1:53 AM

Shit. I was four or five and I've been told I took a liking to the word and used it frequently when appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2024 2:16 AM

I honestly don't remember.

by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2024 2:23 AM

As a kid in the 70s I remember asking my mom when I would be allowed to use curse words. She said never,, it was low class and unnecessary. A few days later, I heard her call my dog a mother fucker. First and last time I heard her use foul language. In her defense, the dog rolled around in something foul outside and then rolled around on the living room rug.

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2024 5:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!