Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How friendly are you with your neighbors?

Do you even know their names? If you were doing carbs, could you borrow a cup of sugar from them?

by Anonymousreply 51October 15, 2024 9:49 PM

I live in a community with a very ACTIVE HOA= Hanging Out Always

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2024 4:19 PM

I keep myself at a distance.

by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2024 4:22 PM

My neighbors are basically respectful people. I don't have a problem with them but I'm not a warm friendly person and I think they have picked up on that. I garden a lot and I don't want people interrupting me. Maybe they want attention but I don't. American culture expects everyone to be warm, friendly, outgoing and enthusiastic, I doubt that is authentic behavior for a lot of people.

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2024 4:29 PM

I know their names and hi/ bye only

But there are these 2 old miserable hags who are nosy cunts and listen and report to the landlord about everything and they complain about things like walking in apt.

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2024 4:29 PM

Neighbors? I have neighbors?

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2024 4:31 PM

Yes, I hate people like that, they say all the Right things to your face but it's a different matter behind your back

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2024 4:33 PM

I don't interact with most, out of choice. Moved here late fall of 2019, a small, fairly liberal/artsy town. Then pandemic hit, then 2020 election. I discovered i was living on a small block with a LOT of Trumpers. Same thing happening now. Four houses within 1 block of me have Trump signs out, three others had Trump signs in 2020 but nothing so far this year. We had problems with one of them (next door) and their aggressive dogs.

In the flip side of all this, despite the town's initial charm, I've found that aside from community events (street dance, food fest etc), most people do not go outside or socialize. People do not sit outside on their porches or spend time outside. Almost nobody goes for walks. I just walked my dog for 25 minutes around town & didn't cross paths with a single person. People are either going from their house to their car or vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2024 4:50 PM

Cordial, friendly (but we don't socialize outside of being neighbors). One of my neighbors actually did me a solid, the other day. I left the dome light on in my car (parked at night) and he let me know.

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2024 4:54 PM

I fucking hate my neighbors. We do/can borrow stuff from each other and I do know their names.

by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2024 5:05 PM

Mine are bitches

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2024 5:06 PM

I've been in this house 35 years. My neighbors are a mixed bag. I'm friendly with a number of them, sometimes hang out with one in particular, and go to parties when invited. One in particular hosts a couple of backyard parties a year. She's very likable and we go to estate sales together sometimes.

I keep my distance from the ones who also keep distances. I avoid my next door neighbor because she's weird. Much easier not to interact with her than be annoyed by her. She could be worse, though, and I'm grateful for that. Otherwise, all is OK.

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2024 5:21 PM

I know who my neighbors are. I'm polite and say "hello" when we meet, but don't socialize with them.

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2024 5:31 PM

very, one side is an older couple, very friendly and we shoot the shit about basic stuff. the other side is a young millennial family and as we have walls touching - we discuss structural things. I go to parties at their house and always greet their dog on the street.

across the street are work colleagues and they sit my cats when I'm out of town. I ADORE my neighborhood

by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2024 5:35 PM

I know the ones with dogs well enough for a hello or a head nod. I know all the dogs names, not sure about the people though.

by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2024 5:43 PM

I live in a very gossipy co op. Everybody knows everybody's business and what they don't know they make up. The doormen and super are just as bad. I mind my own business.

by Anonymousreply 15October 14, 2024 5:47 PM

do you fuck them?

by Anonymousreply 16October 14, 2024 5:56 PM

My neighbors either are do-nothing hermits, "rich" uncivil cunts who have lugged the worst of the suburbs to the old city neighborhood, the leftover trash who have drug deaths and pit bulls running loose, or the progressive-lefties who also do nothing and don't maintain their properties, cover their yards with signs they never take down, and accused me of being racist because I reported everywhere I could that the 14-year-old girl next door was being pimped out by her biological father to his friends.

Selfish, sneaky, homophobic and post-COVID zombies. And being told I do not respect black culture (I'm biracial) was the last time I spoke to that particular cunt, after I walked away from THAT.

by Anonymousreply 17October 14, 2024 5:57 PM

I am really lucky in my neighbors. Friendly and never intrusive.

by Anonymousreply 18October 14, 2024 6:06 PM

I liked my previous neighbors but they're mostly gone. The newer people next door decorate with little American flags and have a camper, so I'm afraid they might be MAGA.

We don't talk.

by Anonymousreply 19October 14, 2024 6:21 PM

R13, are you in the US? What state? Sounds nice.

by Anonymousreply 20October 14, 2024 6:24 PM

I wanted friendly neighbors and I made it happen. Before, they were closed off (typical West Hollywood gays) but I changed that when I moved into the building. Condo building

by Anonymousreply 21October 14, 2024 7:19 PM

I know two of them by name. The rest, I have no clue. The neighbors next door to me have a hi-and-bye kind of relationship. I call it the neighbor nod. I wouldn't ask any of them to borrow a cup of sugar. I stay to myself and know none of the neighborhood gossip. I went to one neighborhood meeting, but that was it.

by Anonymousreply 22October 14, 2024 7:28 PM

Doing carbs? You mean acting like a normal human being?

by Anonymousreply 23October 14, 2024 7:30 PM

[quote]Doing carbs? You mean acting like a normal human being?

You do realize that this is a gay board, right?

by Anonymousreply 24October 14, 2024 7:31 PM

I call the cops on the bitch every chance I get

by Anonymousreply 25October 14, 2024 8:01 PM

The the bitch around my hood

by Anonymousreply 26October 14, 2024 8:02 PM

Going off on a tangent, a cup of sugar is such a weird thing to borrow from a neighbor. Even when people used to do their own baking, seems to me you'd know you were getting low and would have made it to the store before needing to make a batch of cookies.

by Anonymousreply 27October 14, 2024 8:03 PM

I’m not friendly when I’m being eye-screwed by 2 fat old queens next door.

by Anonymousreply 28October 14, 2024 8:03 PM

I'm friendly with both neighbors on either side of me (single building with 7 condos in it). The three of us are single (two divorcees and one widow). We all have each other's phone numbers and exchange texts when we receive packages and other things like that. We don't appear to have any porch pirates but, on my walks around our circular road, I've noticed the cars that just seem to keep driving around. Yes, they could be delivery drivers but I think some are out to steal packages from our garages.

My widow neighbor lets me know when she's out of town and I bring her packages into my garage and let her know to text me when she gets home. One day, her niece came by and forgot to close the garage door. I sent her text and closed her door for her. She does the same for me.

Across the hall, is the psycho son of the owner. He's so bad the owner and is other son actually moved out and live with owner's girlfriend. When I first moved here, the cops were always here because psycho son would threaten to kill himself or the half brother. The Dad had a stroke last year so know he has food delivered to his son and has hired someone to come once a week to put out the garbage. My neighbor told me the house is a hoarding situation and smells terrible. Someone is always spraying air freshner like Febreze to get rid of the stink.

by Anonymousreply 29October 14, 2024 8:13 PM

We've lived in our house since 2008. Friendly with the neighbors on one side who have been there since the beginning. Older couple. Know their names. Always talk with them when we see each other. Able to ask them to get packages off our front porch when we are out of town.

Young couple with a couple of small children on the other side. Moved in about four years ago . Not as friendly with them, but do know their names. Usually say hi if we see them out. They've been gone since early August, though. No idea where they've gone to or when they're coming back. We joke that maybe they're serving time somewhere. Their parents come to check on the house every few weeks.

The people behind us on the next street over have been there since the beginning as well. They're not as friendly and we very rarely talk to them. Don't even know their names after 16 years. Usually only talk to them when we have to retrieve our dog if she gets into a barking match with their dog.

Greenbelt across the street, so no neighbors there.

by Anonymousreply 30October 14, 2024 8:21 PM

I know all the fellow owners in my small building by name as we have the equivalent of a co-op association in the US. We know each other by name and trade the occasional SMS about some building matter. There are a couple of apartments occupied by renters and those faces change more often; I usually don't know their names but we are courteous if we run into one another.

Where I live you don't speak to strangers on the street without reason. Though with some of older people who live alone they appreciate some small talk once you come to recognize one another and neighbors, or hold s door open, or help them carry something. Likewise I speak with some neighbors who are always out with their dogs, or shopkeeps or others of some sort of acquaintance.

People are both very friendly and respectful of others' time and peculiarities.

by Anonymousreply 31October 14, 2024 8:30 PM

It's hit or miss. Mostly they keep to themselves - as do I. The gay neighbors can also be fickle as hell too. Some are good - some are straight up bitches.

I don't get how people can't be cordial and acknowledge each other.

by Anonymousreply 32October 14, 2024 8:40 PM

I posted above, friendly and cordial with my neighbors.

I, myself, am a good neighbor. Our (neighbors and my) mail all comes to the same place. If I see someone else's mail in an odd spot, I will bring it to my neighbor's steps. We live on a thoroughfare, so I hope this cuts down on theft.

(UPS and FedEx sometimes place things in odd spots, e.g., right next to our shared dumpster.)

I have a PO Box, now, so I get everything delivered there.

by Anonymousreply 33October 14, 2024 8:46 PM

I love below an autistic family. 2 adults, 2 little kids, all autistic. It's a fucking nightmare. They're oblivious and make an insane amount of noise. One night I turned the volume on my tv waaaay up and they went nuts. A friend told me that some autistic people are very sensitive to loud noises from tv, radio, etc. Since I have zero fucks left to give, whenever they get out of control I blast my TV and they must retreat to another part of their apt to get away from it. I know I'm a dick but the Super and the Managing Agent have been unable to do anything about them so that's the only thing left to do.

by Anonymousreply 34October 14, 2024 8:52 PM

I live by crazy asses. I watch everything that goes on on my property because if I don’t they’ll fuck me.

by Anonymousreply 35October 14, 2024 9:04 PM

I know one neighbor. He is a mid/late 30's helicopter pilot for the Army, and he is HOT.

Nice guy. He has a 4-5 bedroom house for just him, which I always found kind of strange. His parents (who I have met and are also nice) are listed as co-owners when I was nosy and looked it up on the county website, so I assume they helped him buy it.

He is single now, but he also has an ex who I never see around anymore so not sure what happened with her.

I do text him every once in a while, if I am desperate for help with something like NOW. I don't want to me one of those needy people. I do snow blow his driveway sometimes (I have a snowblower so it isn't hard), because he can be gone for days at a time sometimes when he is working.

by Anonymousreply 36October 14, 2024 9:15 PM

At my primary residence in the city (high rise condo) I no longer know, or want to know, any of my neighbors. People come and go to fast for me these days. I've lived there for 48 years and the last neighbor I was rather close with, a lovely widow across the hall who downsized after her husband died (if you can call a 4000 sq. ft. apartment downsizing), and eventually died herself. This was several years back and since then I've seen no one I had any interest in kindling any sort of friendship with.

I also have a summer house 3 1/2 hours south and I have only one neighbor across the road. The closest other neighbor is over a mile away. My neighbors are a lovely elderly Portuguese couple from New Jersey who retired to the south 20 years ago. I look upon them as family and since I'm part Portuguese we have a special relationship. We look after each other very closely.

by Anonymousreply 37October 14, 2024 10:38 PM

I forgot one set of neighbors in my building. The older couple downstairs are very nice. I don't know their names but they always tell me to contact them if I need anything (I'm single so I guess they think I can't do something a 60+ year old man can do).

The wife makes holidy cookies each December. She wraps them up and leaves them in small gift bags on our doors. Unfortuately, they appear to be on a no-flavor diet. There's no detection of salt or butter in the batter and she's managed to make a no-flavor dark chocolate (in appearance) icing. The first time she left them, I tried 2 different ones and tasted nothing. Now, the whole bag goes in the garbage as soon as I bring them in the house.

by Anonymousreply 38October 15, 2024 1:10 PM

I know my immediate neighbors' names, and know them well enough to say hello if I see them, and ask to borrow their driveway to park if we have contractors coming to our house, etc. But we've never been inside each others' homes.

There's a group of neighborhood dog people who gather at the park across the street from my house -- mostly retirees and gay house husbands -- I know them much better though they all live several blocks away.

by Anonymousreply 39October 15, 2024 1:19 PM

In 12 years in Los Angeles have you ever actually SEEN a neighbor?

by Anonymousreply 40October 15, 2024 4:06 PM

[quote] The wife makes holidy cookies each December. She wraps them up and leaves them in small gift bags on our doors. Unfortuately, they appear to be on a no-flavor diet. There's no detection of salt or butter in the batter

She's probably using Crisco instead of butter or even margarine (which does have some flavor and salt).

Growing up, I had some neighbors that would bake cookies all the time and use Crisco. The Crisco might even have an effect on the texture.

by Anonymousreply 41October 15, 2024 4:22 PM

Currently two sets of neighbors. Casually friendly with one set, we speak in the street, occasionally text, and exchange food or desserts every once in a while. The other set are two gay men that we are friends with, have dinner at each other’s houses occasionally, and socialize with because we know the same people. Politically like-minded.

Last house in a different state, 13 houses on a cul-de-sac, friendly enough to say hello to and casually chat with all of them, very close to two families that became like family, All straight. Mostly Republican. Changed a few votes now and then. We moved before all Republicans became rabid.

by Anonymousreply 42October 15, 2024 4:44 PM

Hi and bye with our neighbors. They're all normal folks who live quiet lives.

I just feel fortunate that my neighborhood is still mostly filled with homeowners. There are some neighborhoods nearby where the ratio of rental property owners exceeds homeowners. They take over the HOAs and have turned these neighborhoods into shit because they want the most bang for their buck. Now crime has increased and it is impacting the overall area.

by Anonymousreply 43October 15, 2024 4:53 PM

Renters should not be able to even attend HOA meetings or make requests directly. The only contact renters should have with anyone regarding the property they inhabit is with the owner of the property. If the owner feels something needs to be brought up with the HOA, then that is his/her prerogative.

by Anonymousreply 44October 15, 2024 6:30 PM

I used to have some knowledge of my neighbors, but they all moved out. Now I don't know any of them.

by Anonymousreply 45October 15, 2024 7:04 PM

Mine tried to kill me

by Anonymousreply 46October 15, 2024 7:08 PM

I sucked mine off

by Anonymousreply 47October 15, 2024 7:34 PM

You did WHAT?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 15, 2024 8:19 PM

There are no houses across the street from my house so no neighbors there and none behind me because there is a pond there but I do know the people on each side of me and I am friendly with both. I have lived here for 9 years and the neighbors have changed several times but I have been on speaking terms and know their names despite the fact I am a loner who lives alone and don't like getting too familiar with neighbors. My policy is be friendly but not friends with your neighbors, if things went south with the friendship you would still have to live next door to them. The guy on one side is always asking if I want to do this or that with him, fortunately he is gone most of the year.

Neighbors have borrowed things from me but I would never ask to borrow anything from them, the stores are close and if I needed something I would go buy it.

by Anonymousreply 49October 15, 2024 9:15 PM

I tried to seduce a hot neighbor one time he shut his blinds and turned off the lights as I walked up to his door.

by Anonymousreply 50October 15, 2024 9:41 PM

Ours on either side here in suburbia have 3 kids each. Boisterous but very kind and friendly. We chat sometimes when we see each other outside, and have helped each other out in small ways here and there.

Our former Brooklyn coop neighbors were difficult to even engage with. Horrible. The last people with whom you'd want to co-own an aging building and make fiduciary/budgeting decisions.

by Anonymousreply 51October 15, 2024 9:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!