Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joker 2 heading straight to digital

Welp.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 15, 2024 11:28 PM

It didn’t even make $1m over the holiday weekend. And Beetlejuice is still selling!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2024 5:53 PM

Gaga’s soundtrack album out of the Billboard 200 in second week, the film’s soundtrack didn’t even chart.

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2024 5:55 PM

That's not what straight to digital means.

FFS.

The vast majority of theatrical movies will be sent to premium video on demands after three weekends.

Only hit movies have long windows.

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2024 5:56 PM

Learn to read, R1. That figure was for Monday only.

by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2024 5:57 PM

R3, films don’t go to digital in under 1 month. R4, that’s the day films make money - it was a big holiday. Stop being a retard, Little Flopster.

by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2024 6:06 PM

DL is the only place where some posters seem to revel in some media or art, commercially failing. It’s weird. Like the OP is likely going to make active updates and I’m pretty sure he’s the one who has been positing all along about its poor reception and Gaga sucking. Is there some type of sexual fetish where people get off on someone failing.

by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2024 6:09 PM

Perhaps some of you don't understand what going to digital means. It's not a giveaway. They're charging money to rent it.

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2024 6:11 PM

R5, Monday was not a big holiday. Columbus Day is a federal holiday that most private sector employers basically ignore, and has never been a major day for filmgoing.

And the release window for digital availability has been getting shorter for all movies, even ones that are major hits. Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice (released September 6) made a ton of money, and yet it's available for digital rental right now. Christopher Nolan can negotiate a long period of theatrical exclusivity, but virtually no one else can. That's just the way things are.

Joker 2 is a colossal failure on its own. There's no need to lie or exaggerate about how awful it's doing.

by Anonymousreply 8October 15, 2024 6:38 PM

We went to see "The Substance" last week, It was a Thursday night, so maybe 5 other people in the theater.

During the previews, everything just stopped. We all sat for a bit, and then the tech person came out of the room in the back. She told us something had gone wrong, so we could either get two "Inconvenience Tickets" each or run across the hall to See Joker 2 (which hadn't started yet) and get one "Inconvenience Ticket" each.

Everyone lined up immediately to get the two tickets.

That seemed very telling.

by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2024 6:42 PM

Its collapse is complete. It will never be president.

by Anonymousreply 10October 15, 2024 6:59 PM

[quote] films don’t go to digital in under 1 month.

Did you miss that whole pandemic thingy

Studios were able to change the terms for PVOD

Universal’s agreement has film which open over $50 million have a 31 day theatrical exclusivity window

Films that open under have a 17 day theatrical exclusivity window

Warner Bros has similar agreements in place

The studios LIKE this arrangement. They take almost every dollar from a PVOD rental, while they only get half the share of a movie ticket.

Talking to people who know nothing about show business is like talking to children.

by Anonymousreply 11October 15, 2024 7:04 PM

It’s just telling that a franchise whose first film made over billion dollars has flopped this badly. Yeah post pandemic is partly to blame but there have been hits since the pandemic so it’s not merely that. I do think it’s Gaga actually, and I love me some Gaga. But she just isn’t a draw for the big screen. And also it’s a musical so there’s that element too. Hollywood should remember there was a time they didn’t make sequels for hugely successful films. And if they did, years and years would past so they could ensure it was creatively on point.

by Anonymousreply 12October 15, 2024 7:08 PM

[quote] Talking to people who know nothing about show business is like talking to children.

Oh, you're THAT asshole.

by Anonymousreply 13October 15, 2024 7:10 PM

[quote] —Prince-Akeem

Cono, you useless maricon, stop using my data up already! Get a job or leave my home. I should have aborted you when Batista was still in power!

by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2024 7:12 PM

Boy bye. My mother lives on the other side of the country.

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2024 7:14 PM

R6, I remember a DLer doggedly insisting that Barbie had flopped after it broke a ton of records.

by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2024 7:17 PM

And as popular as the first film was, I feel that this sequel has permanently stained both films- like seriously.

The sequel said to the original-

"I can see your dirtypillows".

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2024 7:19 PM

Like Furiosa, also from Warner Bros., a filmmaker with a lot of clout gave the studio an inessential sequel which didn’t appeal to people who liked the first film. They looked good on paper. They had minimal studio oversight. They weren’t something anybody really wanted.

I believe both films were greenlit after DeLuca and Abdy took over from Emmerich, and the haste to build a slate led to films in which the filmmaker had too much control and did whatever he wanted.

by Anonymousreply 18October 15, 2024 7:26 PM

Furious was not a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2024 7:30 PM

Furiosa

by Anonymousreply 20October 15, 2024 7:30 PM

I think Phoenix and Gaga are established enough and will probably survive this relatively unscathed. Phillips will get all the blame. In fact, Warner Brothers should've seen this coming since The Hangover sequels were beyond terrible. They essentially gave the director a ton of money and told him he could do whatever he wanted, and ultimately he made all the wrong decisions. I'm sure a lot of the straight bros who liked the first film were repelled by the gay and gaga sequel.

by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2024 7:35 PM

Who knows I think it's possible that one day it will get reappraised and gain a cult following.

by Anonymousreply 22October 15, 2024 7:45 PM

R1 it made $7M over the weekend for a 10-day total of $51M Not bad if one considers that Spielberg's. West Side Story ended its domestic run after 17 weeks with a total of $38.5M.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 15, 2024 9:25 PM

I hated the first one and won't watch the second for free...even if I got a free month of whatever it'll be streaming on.

by Anonymousreply 24October 15, 2024 10:31 PM

R11 = Lady Caca

by Anonymousreply 25October 15, 2024 10:58 PM

It made $700k domestically yesterday. It’s one of the biggest bombs in history.

by Anonymousreply 26October 15, 2024 10:59 PM

They film has to make at least $600m to break even.

by Anonymousreply 27October 15, 2024 11:00 PM

How much did it cost to make? It doesn’t look like a film with tons of special effects or action sequences.

by Anonymousreply 28October 15, 2024 11:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!