Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is your favorite Pet Shop Boys single?

There's only room for ten choices in the poll and I know I left out a few (though you're always on my mind, sweetie darlings).

I love the swoony "Paninaro," as well as Dusty Springfield's gorgeous contribution to "What Have I Done to Deserve This?".

But my favorite is "Domino Dancing," which has been interpreted as having to do with the spread of AIDS in the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 29October 17, 2024 5:15 PM

I'm really not a broad PSB fan - never got into them that deeply. Definitely Domino Dancing from what I do know.

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2024 3:07 AM

Why Don't We Live Together?

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2024 3:08 AM

Love Comes Quickly Blank and Jones mix

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2024 3:16 AM

Did they ever do How Much is That Doggie in the Window?

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2024 3:19 AM

PSB had a few great hits over the years but I always hated West End Girls.

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2024 3:23 AM

Can You Forgive Her?

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2024 3:24 AM

No R6.

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2024 3:25 AM

OP, I'm really confused by your bad choices.

You listed "Parinono, " which did not even chart, either in the UK or the US.

But you did not list "Always on My Mind" (which reached #1 in the UK and #4 in the US), "I'm with Stupid" (#* UK, #7 USA dance), or "Love Etc." (#14 in UK, #1 in USA dance charts).

Is this just a selection of songs that you like personally?

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2024 3:44 AM

Always on My Mind!

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2024 3:54 AM

Absolutely Fabulous

by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2024 3:55 AM

As a young gayling in 198, what would now be called "freshman rising highschooler", I was put on a jetliner bound for faraway Korea. The onboard entertainment included an audio channel that I don't remember being ALL Pet Shop Boys, but I do remember hearing "It's A Sin" and "What Have I Done to Deserve This?" on that channel. This would have been on the original inflight audio delivery system that was basically a stethoscope plugged into your armrest. The channel repeated for the 12-13hr flight and with the exception of the time a flight attendant sat next to me to make sure I ate my meals and the other time I perused the Duty Free offerings, I was there for it. I will always remember learning later just who Dusty Springfield was and how unique it was she appeared on this single.

I was quite the sheltered child... in the time to come I discovered Samantha Fox, Belinda Carlisle, Depeche Mode, and by senior year I was rocking out to the debuts of Paula Abdul and Roxanne. Fun times... great music.

by Anonymousreply 11October 16, 2024 4:22 AM

Dammit! 1987!

P.S. "I am THIN AND GORGEOUS!" R10

by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2024 4:23 AM

Left To My Own Devices is my most favorite.

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2024 4:46 AM

I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind of Thing is my pick.

by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2024 4:56 AM

Nothing will ever top Go West for me. Either the PSB or Village People.

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2024 12:08 PM

Rent!

by Anonymousreply 16October 16, 2024 1:10 PM

I'm partial to İt's Alright, from İntrospective. İt perfectly encapsulates Neil's cynical idealism, and I wish they played it live more often.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 16, 2024 1:11 PM

I'm partial to their earlier stuff simply because I was young and impressionable, and they imprinted on me in those years.

Love Comes Quickly is gorgeous, a personal fave. Also love the icy yet sexy cynicism of Rent.

by Anonymousreply 18October 16, 2024 1:15 PM

Also somewhat flummoxed by the survey options. Since they're not included in the poll and I'm therefore not obliged to pick just one, I'll call it a tie between "Left to My Own Devices" and "I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind of Thing."

by Anonymousreply 19October 16, 2024 1:17 PM

If I were being totally honest, "Always on My Mind" brings me the most joy, but I ruled it out because it's a cover.

by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2024 1:22 PM

I saw them live with New Order (whom I originally went to see) at the Hollywood Bowl, and they blew NO out of the water. For. "Love Comes Quickly" Neil slowly walked across the stage with a foggy street background, and he was more entertaining than NO's most lively song. I also got Covid from that concert, but it was very very mild.

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2024 1:28 PM

I’m a sucker for Dusty.

by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2024 2:17 PM

I'm a sucker for Chris.

Chris circa 1987 anyway.

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2024 2:24 PM

The original 9 minute version of "It's Alright" from 'Introspective.' The edits and remixes are inferior to the original.

by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2024 2:32 PM

I was also at that show, R21. It was magic.

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2024 2:34 PM

Your anthem OP

BEING BORING

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2024 2:40 PM

Suburbia reminds me of my days as a baby gay, swirling around Neighbours in Seattle on their 80s night, high as fuck on ecstasy.

by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2024 2:42 PM

[quote] You listed "Parinono, " which did not even chart, either in the UK or the US.

Are you forgetting the 1995 version that was a top 20 hit?

by Anonymousreply 28October 16, 2024 2:43 PM

Just because: I've long held this is the best Pet Shop Boys single not actually by the Pet Shop Boys. (It's by They Might Be Giants.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 17, 2024 5:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!