Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I was recently talking to a friend who is in HR about (invented) maladies that no one will question. Here’s our list….

Others?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 16, 2024 6:10 PM

OP here: At the last minute I had to include something about female problems, so we have FOUR options for calling in sick.

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2024 4:06 AM

"Projectile vomiting."

Please stay home!

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2024 4:10 AM

[quote] Explosive diarrhea.

Will this be a good diversion to skip debates and duck interviews?

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2024 4:13 AM

Most GI-related maladies are accepted without much explanation.

Migraine headaches seem to be accepted, in recent times. I've only ever had one headache that was so bad that I'd call it a "migraine." I became sensitive to light and it felt like something was happening behind one of my eyeballs.

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2024 4:16 AM

A guy on my staff called out with the excuse, "my dog has the flu." I literally LOL'd. He had been calling out a lot with lame excuses (I tripped running for the subway). His sister was also a manager, who I liked, so I cut him slack. I moved on to another company, a friend took my old position. Turns out the guy had a huge drinking problem, he was only in his mid-twenties. I was very naive about alcoholism back then.

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2024 4:31 AM

"Female problems" only used with a male manager.

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2024 4:32 AM

Fibro Flare

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2024 4:34 AM

Food poisoning is a good one. It’s over in a day, not contagious, and no one ever questions it.

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2024 4:35 AM

I've been retired for some time and don't understand why anyone would explain their healthcare to lowly employees. Get a note from your doctor, no questions asked. The end.

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2024 4:48 AM

I contracted bad cases of the vapors occasionally. They seemed to center in my stomach.

by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2024 4:49 AM

I've used food poisoning a few times.

My market has a food bar I often pick up dinner from, so it's an explanation.

My work loves me.

by Anonymousreply 11October 16, 2024 5:01 AM

Mental health day

by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2024 5:03 AM

FIBROMYALGIA!!!!

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2024 5:08 AM

[quote] Turns out the guy had a huge drinking problem

That's what I was thinking. A string of creative stories that are plausible, separately.

Another reason for a string of creative stories is domestic violence.

by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2024 5:38 AM

[quote] Get a note from your doctor, no questions asked. The end.

The goal is to call in sick, NOT go to the doctor, and still give a plausible reason why you're out.

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2024 5:39 AM

Mug cradling accident.

by Anonymousreply 16October 16, 2024 7:58 AM

A couple of times I told the truth: I was cleaning the house and I didn’t want to stop. Usually it was gastroenteritis. Could be anything and they don’t want details.

by Anonymousreply 17October 16, 2024 8:16 AM

One thing I will lie about^^

by Anonymousreply 18October 16, 2024 8:17 AM

Never explain.

Call on or send the briefest possible message:

"I'm not feeling well and am going to stay home today."

"I'm not feeling well and am going to take this as a sick day. I'll let you know if I'm not feeling better for tomorrow."

That's the limit of your obligation. Assuming you don't do in this three times a month, every month, what's the problem? Do employers really want/need to know the nature of your problem, the exact reading of your temperature, the liquid/solid ratio of your vomit, the explosiveness of your diarrhea?

"And while I have you on the phone, I have to take next Friday off for some personal business."

The more you explain, the more ridiculous (and demeaning) it seems.

by Anonymousreply 19October 16, 2024 9:13 AM

Woke up with a big hemmy, can't really sit well today

by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2024 9:21 AM

I just send an email: "I'm out sick, today." I don't explain what happened to me. One of my coworkers will text with a description of what's going on. E.g.: a friend died and she (coworker) needs some time to "navigate" this situation. I know it sounds cold for me to say this, but it's too much drama, sometimes. We have a pretty generous leave policy, so I'm all about people using leave, especially myself. I don't need the explanations.

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2024 9:22 AM

I'm having a problem with my eyes - can't see myself coming in today.

by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2024 9:35 AM

I'm suicidal today.

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2024 9:41 AM

The dog has shat inappropriately.

by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2024 10:11 AM

Pink eye.

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2024 10:17 AM

All of these can be combined into one statement.

" I am an immature emotionally weak person. I will forever be blaming others for my lack of success and financial stability."

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2024 10:54 AM

I can’t stop shitting.

by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2024 11:03 AM

R12,

I’m a mental health nurse in the UK, and mental health days are an impossible dream! I have friends who emigrated to Australia (different states with their own legislation), and they can request them. It would be a civilised move, especially when you have had a run of stressful days.

by Anonymousreply 28October 16, 2024 11:04 AM

[quote]R21 I just send an email: "I'm out sick, today."

Does the unnecessary comma make it seem more authentically lightheaded?

by Anonymousreply 29October 16, 2024 11:37 AM

Where do you guys work where HR has to “accept” that you’re ill? Are you in the Soviet Union?

by Anonymousreply 30October 16, 2024 11:45 AM

r30 Clearly people are just having fun with this silly post. I hope your day improves.

by Anonymousreply 31October 16, 2024 11:48 AM

Clearly.

[quote] Get a note from your doctor, no questions asked. The end.

by Anonymousreply 32October 16, 2024 11:50 AM

r32 You're embarrassed now, but it's no big deal - really. Have fun today!

by Anonymousreply 33October 16, 2024 11:53 AM

R28 is not a literal defined day off. It’s a standard phrase used informally.

by Anonymousreply 34October 16, 2024 11:54 AM

"I was at a freak off this weekend, and I'm still sore and woozy."

by Anonymousreply 35October 16, 2024 11:59 AM

I stopped my Macy’s on my way home last night, and I was mouth-raped.

by Anonymousreply 36October 16, 2024 12:06 PM

R25, that's a good one, nobody wants that shit near them.

by Anonymousreply 37October 16, 2024 12:06 PM

Rona

by Anonymousreply 38October 16, 2024 6:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!