Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Michelle Obama has security concerns about hitting the campaign trail

WASHINGTON — Barack Obama has begun stumping for Vice President Kamala Harris. Bill Clinton is holding a series of campaign events for her in battleground states.

Yet the Democratic superstar many members of the party would like to see helping Harris has been absent from the campaign trail so far.

With just 20 days until the election, Michelle Obama has worked behind the scenes to boost turnout in key swing states, but she has yet to schedule an official appearance for Harris since the Democratic National Convention. Two people familiar with the matter said she has expressed fresh concerns about security following two assassination attempts against former President Donald Trump.

Both Harris and Trump are receiving an unprecedented level of security after the former president faced two apparent attempts on his life this summer. Measures like more Secret Service agents and bulletproof glass are now commonplace on the campaign trail.

“After the two assassination attempts against former President Trump, the staffs of all the former presidents and first ladies recognized the new reality and so does the Secret Service,” a person familiar with the matter said, calling them “a wake-up call to everyone” to redouble their efforts on security “in light of the new reality.”

Her low profile stands out after her rousing speech in August at the Democratic National Convention, when she implored members of her party not to get complacent about the November election and repeatedly urged voters to instead “do something!”

Michelle Obama is expected to add Harris campaign events to her schedule as Election Day nears, five people familiar with the planning said, though nothing has been finalized at this point. She is expected to play a role in the “closing arguments” for the Democratic campaign, three of those people said.

By the time polls close on Nov. 5, another one of the sources said, “she will have made her voice heard.”

Michelle Obama’s office and the Harris campaign both declined to comment.

“While we are not able to comment on the specifics of our protective operations, safeguarding former President and Mrs. Obama is a top priority for the Secret Service,” USSS spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said in a statement.

Several Democratic strategists have been eager to see an all-hands-on-deck effort from the biggest names in the party.

Another former first lady — Hillary Clinton — is scheduled to start campaigning for Harris in the closing two weeks, after holding several fundraisers for Harris since she took over the top of the ticket. Michelle Obama has not done any fundraisers for Harris during that period.

Michelle Obama has the unique appeal of being the most popular Democratic surrogate, in part because she has never run for elected office. In a recent Reuters/Ipsos poll, she was the only one to receive majority favorability among registered voters.

For the most part, Obama has focused her political efforts in 2024 on “When We All Vote,” the voter registration and engagement initiative she launched in 2018, which will seek to mobilize 5 million voters this cycle, according to the group.

She views her role as a high-profile surrogate quite differently than her husband does, according to two people familiar with the dynamic.

“People sometimes forget: she’s not a politician,” one of the people said.

Obama has been open about her disdain for partisan politics, despite some in both parties speculating about her running for office in the future. Earlier this year, her office flatly stated that she does not intend to seek the presidency and reiterated her reluctance to re-enter the political fray in such a manner.

There is a sense among some party insiders that deploying Michelle Obama might be most effective at the very end, according to the person familiar with the dynamic.

“You have to pick the moment when you can move the needle the most,” this person said, “and that hasn’t happened yet.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 17, 2024 7:27 PM

Bitch better do something.

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2024 11:52 AM

The Obama’s are really just about themselves.

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2024 12:12 PM

[quote] The Obama’s are really just about themselves.

Unlike the benevolent, compassionate, and caring Donald Trump, right Boris/R2?

Go fuck yourself, you dumb CUNT!

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2024 12:15 PM

Unclench.

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2024 12:19 PM

That's not fair, R2. Michelle was always against Barack's entry into public life and was never happier than when they left the White House. Part of that was very likely about the danger into which it put herself and her children, and the irksome Secret Service intrusion on her children's lives as a result.

For someone who is just an ordinary citizen, she's contributed far more than most other citizens. The fact that the electorate loves her is not her problem: she never promised it anything other than dutiful support for her husband and the country while he was in office, and she gave it that in spades. She could have done a lot less (see: Melania).

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2024 12:35 PM

[quote] The Obama’s

Oh dear, R2, you fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2024 12:45 PM

R5, while I understand and even somewhat agree with that view, I have to say that Michelle has taken full advantage of the entree' her position has given her. She writes these self help books and she goes on book tours with celebrity interviewers like Gayle King and seems to have no security concerns when she appears in those auditoriums. I have to say that while I am fully supporting Kamala, gave money making phone calls, and went to a couple of postcard writing parties, and I love Hillary, Barack, Bill Clinton, etc. I have become disappointed in Michelle. It seems very disingenuous to me that she may be raising security concerns about campaigning, but Barack and Bill are out here along with everyone else. I can understand why Hillary is not actually out here. Right now she has been on her book tour and has been using the occasions to promote Harris. She is all over social media, and she does interviews. Always promoting Harris as much as she promotes her book. I can be a loyal Democrat and still criticize Michelle Obama's lack of presence. She was electrifying at the convention. What would it have cost her to cut a fucking commercial urging people to "Do something!" or even permitted a clip of her convention speech to be used?

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2024 12:49 PM

With the exception of Salman Rushdie, I don't think any author ever had security concerns on a book tour, R7.

They may not have asked her to cut a commercial or use her convention speech. For all we know Harris might be worried about being overshadowed by her, since the polls have always shown Michelle was the only Dem who would win in a cakewalk against Trump.

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2024 12:56 PM

R8 I went to see both Michelle Obama (with Gayle King) and Hillary on their book tours and I have to say, Michelle was in the arena with a huge sell out crowd. This was her first tour for her bio. and we had very tight security. Went to the local Fox Theatre to see Hillary and again, very tight security. I'm offering my opinions in part, based on my personal experience. Any time these public figures go into a crowd situation there are security concerns. As for Michelle overshadowing Kamala? There are ways that could have been handled. Good Christ, Julia Roberts was in Georgia going to campaign stops. Not big rallies, bus she's been out here. Uh, uh.

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2024 1:04 PM

R9 here. I am not R5, I am R7.

by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2024 1:06 PM

"There is a sense among some party insiders that deploying Michelle Obama might be most effective at the very end, according to the person familiar with the dynamic.

“You have to pick the moment when you can move the needle the most,” this person said, “and that hasn’t happened yet.”

Michelle Obama is a private citizen and she owes us nothing, but this other person's statement strikes me as beyond disingenuous. Early voting is happening RIGHT NOW in every battleground state. Election day was yesterday, it's today, and it's tomorrow. If Michelle does want to help out, now is that moment.

Also just musing... if you put Kamala and Michelle side by side their height difference would really pop. Kamala is 5 ft 3, Michelle is 6 ft 0.

by Anonymousreply 11October 16, 2024 1:07 PM

There is nothing in their post Presidential career to indicate the Obamas aren’t anything but self interested. They are spend time writing books and producing films. They vacation on yachts with billionaires. I would do it too if I was them but I wouldn’t expect everyone to also kiss my ass.

by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2024 1:08 PM

They ..spend

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2024 1:08 PM

Given that Michelle Obama is NOT the spouse of the current Presidential candidate, shouldn't the question rather be: where is Trump's spouse, why is she not campaigning tirelessly for her husband?

by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2024 1:09 PM

[quote]Michelle was always against Barack's entry into public life

If that’s true r5 it shows a certain lack of awareness by Michelle in this regard, as Barack Obama dumped his white girlfriend to enhance his entry into public life as a black politician. He was shooting for public office ever since she met him, and he got to the top spot with her considerable help.

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2024 1:18 PM

She’s headlining a major Atlanta rally next week, you numb nuts.

by Anonymousreply 16October 16, 2024 1:29 PM

Thanks R16, it's true!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 16, 2024 1:31 PM

Really, R12? Nothing but self-interest, huh? They've been at every Democratic national convention since 2016, they have stumped for every Democratic presidential candidate during and since their time in office, they've raised millions of dollars and have used their influence and charisma to reach out to voters and even non-voters, and yet that's not enough for you? These are all the things you donm't mention that they have done. You're completely disingenuous in your dismissal of them. And what have YOU done?

by Anonymousreply 18October 16, 2024 2:15 PM

The right loves to rage on women, and their anger and bile maximized regarding Michelle.

by Anonymousreply 19October 16, 2024 2:38 PM

The Obamas broke records for credible threats against the president and their family. I reported 2 myself back in the day. I imagine if she has security concerns that they're legitimate.

by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2024 2:49 PM

I agree with R2. Very disappointed in Barack Obama. You can't run on the platform that he ran and then, on the day you stop being president, be all like, "Deuces, bitch." He is a public servant for life. That is the promise he made. He DOES owe us more. To pretend otherwise is to act as though WE owed HIM the presidency.

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2024 2:59 PM

The problem is people want the Obamas to be Godlike. They still have to let Kamala shine and perceivable as Commander in Chief. Michelle is gna get out there. Make no mistake about it. Her ass will be in Philly, the week of leading up to November 5th. Kamala is going to win Pennsylvania.

by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2024 3:15 PM

[quote] She writes these self help books and she goes on book tours with celebrity interviewers like Gayle King and seems to have no security concerns when she appears in those auditoriums.

She is not a politician, she wasn't campaigning, and by the way, those events had plenty of security. I can't fault her in a world full of gun-toting, trigger-happy MAGAts.

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2024 3:23 PM

[quote] He is a public servant for life. That is the promise he made.

R21, he didn't make any such promise, nor did Bush, Clinton, nor any other politician out of office. And by the way, he HAS been there for the Democrats for every election.

What do YOU do in your capacity as a citizen? Do you volunteer anywhere? What have you done to help Harris get elected? Or are you going to pretend no responsibility is on you because you're not "a public servant"?

Fuck outta here, asshat.

by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2024 3:35 PM

Can anyone blame her? There's been multiple people with guns who were going after Trump that weren't caught until far later than they should've been and the mere mention of Obama brings out the threats. Too many in the USA are just itching to kill someone and security obviously isn't as good as we thought. Appearances have to be limited to the most important moments. Makes sense to me.

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2024 3:36 PM

[quote] Given that Michelle Obama is NOT the spouse of the current Presidential candidate, shouldn't the question rather be: where is Trump's spouse, why is she not campaigning tirelessly for her husband?

Because she put a hit on her husband with the Slovenian mafia and doesn't want to be collateral damage.

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2024 3:58 PM

Georgia in action.

A man who’s first ballot was FDR in 1944 just mailed his vote for Harris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2024 5:25 PM

whose*

by Anonymousreply 28October 16, 2024 5:28 PM

[quote] He is a public servant for life. That is the promise he made. He DOES owe us more. To pretend otherwise is to act as though WE owed HIM the presidency.

I love how you apply this standard to the black President, but not to DONALD TRUMP, who does absolutely NOTHING for people, who has NEVER been a public servant and has only ever served HIMSELF, and who actually DOES think that WE owe HIM the presidency.

We see you, dirty MAGAT.

by Anonymousreply 29October 16, 2024 6:51 PM

There is nothing that I can see that compares Obama with Vermin like Trump who is subhuman and despicable. What I demand of Trump is a prison cell. There is nothing worthwhile he can ever contribute to the world except by dying or going to prison. He is filth. This discussion as far as I can see concerns people who are critical of Michelle and those who are not. I thought Michelle was an exceptional First Lady. I thought Barack an exceptional POTUS. I think what we need to look at is the fact that as much as we may love them, Bill Clinton, who is a very effective campaigner, and Hillary who has stayed active in so many ways, are both closing in on 80 yrs old. So Barack and Michelle are sort of the Rock Stars of the Party. Joe Biden is 81. The Obama "brand" is something that the campaign wants to use carefully for maximum impact.

by Anonymousreply 30October 16, 2024 7:19 PM

She is coming to Georgia!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 16, 2024 7:50 PM

Also Bill and Barack have been in Georgia over the past seven days.

by Anonymousreply 32October 16, 2024 7:54 PM

Yes r31 we knew that hours ago

by Anonymousreply 33October 16, 2024 8:40 PM

7 hours ago .^^

by Anonymousreply 34October 16, 2024 8:41 PM

I'm with R20. They know things we won't know for a long time but I've heard and read enough to suggest there was real and deadly anger at a black family daring to occupy the White House. I don't think she's bullshitting.

[quote]I have to say that Michelle has taken full advantage of the entree' her position has given her.

Yes. As have the Clintons. As could the Bushes, if they weren't already loaded. The difference for MO is taking full advantage doesn't necessarily put her in the public eye and a risk for her own safety the way the political does.

Don't get me wrong, when they threw that lavish birthday part on Martha's Vineyard it did feel like we'd lost what they stood for, but I think on a lower key level they are both still working for what matters to them. And I'm just going to say it: having watched the Becoming documentary, I think black Americans matter far more to MO than do white Americans. They are her priority. They get her attention beneath the radar. I get it, I feel a bit saddened by it, but I get it. Black Americans don't have many influential champions. So I respect her choice in that respect.

by Anonymousreply 35October 16, 2024 8:48 PM

R24 you are an idiot whose stupidity is only rivaled by that R29, who is the supreme idiot of this and every other thread.

I happen to love the Obamas. I can love them and still be disappointed in their bullshit, vapid post-presidency.

And of course I don’t hold Trump to the same standard. Trump is not a public servant. He is a reality game show host who got lucky.

I expect more from Obama because Obama himself told us to expect more from him.

For you to even bring race into this is exactly why we are in trouble with this presidential race. People like you are no better than the MAGAs. You’re literally destroying this country.

Please fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 36October 16, 2024 10:17 PM

R36 You are an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 37October 16, 2024 10:42 PM

R37 is right=except that I would add R36 is a fucking idiot and a liar--she's no lover of the Obamas. She's a fucking MAGAt cunt.

by Anonymousreply 38October 17, 2024 3:16 AM

She's doing more to defeat Trump than a certain limp dick Texan coward who refuses to even endorse Harris.

by Anonymousreply 39October 17, 2024 4:36 AM

Teacake = blocked. I was a supporter, too. Check my history. Bye. R38 = blocked. I need fewer reactionary idiots in my timelines and socials. Bye.

by Anonymousreply 40October 17, 2024 2:48 PM

Telling someone you have blocked them is like when Trump states “I HATE SUCH & SUCH”

Who da fuck cares?

by Anonymousreply 41October 17, 2024 5:18 PM

Please feel free to list all the great things MO has done post Presidency to help black Americans. And she is a great figure and symbol as the first black FIrst Lady. Other than that what has she done?

by Anonymousreply 42October 17, 2024 5:30 PM

Doesn’t everyone have Teafake blocked at this point?

by Anonymousreply 43October 17, 2024 5:41 PM

R42, if you watch Becoming you'll see much of her work is done under the radar or doesn't get press.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 17, 2024 6:58 PM

And on and on... there's 23 pages of press releases focused on outcomes, R42. That might satisfy you. Or will it? Let us know,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 17, 2024 6:59 PM

Poppycock. MO knows the truth about those (faux) "assassination attempts."

She spoke at the Convention. Now she's done.

by Anonymousreply 46October 17, 2024 7:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!