Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Elaine Paige, the grand old dame of English musical theatre

Spoiler: she's not actually a Dame yet, which means there must be murky things in her cupboard

Famous for Evita and Cats, and fucking Tim Rice, she now hosts a Sunday afternoon radio show on the BBC.

Beloved by homosexuals of a certain age she's never quite achieved appeal beyond camp.

What does Datalounge think?

Here she is discussing Sondheim and performing a rewritten version of I'm Still Here that looks back on her career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2024 8:54 PM

But that fucking laugh!

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2024 7:49 PM

Actually, that's a good point, OP. The alternative is it was offered and declined. Sometimes they do. Jennifer Saunders was offered some time ago and declined.

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2024 8:17 PM

She's an OBE so she's been in the mix. Don't know why she's not been promoted. She's not getting any younger. Maybe she was a dirty girl.

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2024 8:18 PM

She certainly deserves it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2024 8:24 PM

Isn't she the one who transitioned to a FTM male?

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2024 9:30 PM

No -- that was Patti Page.

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2024 11:44 PM

In 1981, my high school drama teacher told me she had seen both Elaine Paige and Patti LuPone sing Evita, and that Elaine Paige was even better in the role.

When she told me this, I remember thinking, in true "Mary!" fashion at age 15: "But that's not possible!"

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2024 11:49 PM

Almost everyone sings 'Midnight' from Cats just as she did it all those years ago.

That's why I prefer Betty Buckley's version because her's is unique.

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2024 11:54 PM

Anyone who think the title to "Memory" is "Midnight" is either intoxicated or too stupid to be posting opinions about the song.

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2024 4:47 AM

I thought the song was called Memry, not Memory

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2024 1:34 PM

She loves her cock does Elaine. Loves it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2024 1:38 PM

I know you didn’t ask and won’t care, but I never liked her. And still don’t.

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2024 1:51 PM

She’s Elliott now.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2024 1:56 PM

r13 = Emily Litella

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2024 2:15 PM

A new version of “I’m Still Here” with different words from the ones Sondheim wrote? She already did that at the performance of “Follies” I attended. She was underwhelming and unprofessional in every way imaginable.

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2024 2:25 PM

[quote] A new version of “I’m Still Here” with different words from the ones Sondheim wrote?

Yes, a new version with lyrics to chart her 50 years in musical theatre.

It’s a shame the lyricist felt compelled to go for the easy rhyme of queer when her gay fans wouldn’t appreciate that.

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2024 2:29 PM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2024 3:20 PM

[quote]That's why I prefer Betty Buckley's version because her's is unique.

Oh, DEAR!

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2024 3:44 PM

In 1991 Elaine tried to recreate the success of Liza's Results and launched a pop album.

A couple of Diane Warren songs were included and the "stomper" Well Almost which was written by the same team behind Tina Turner's The Best and Pat Benetar's Love Is A Battlefield.

It wasn't a success.

The video for Well Almost is hilariously bad showing Fun Elaine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2024 5:48 PM

Wasn't it good?

Wasn't it fine?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2024 6:06 PM

R2 Jennifer Saunders refused an OBE, or one of those, along with Dawn French a long time ago. She said that she didn’t think she deserved it at the time as they were young and just having a laugh making their TV show and well paid.

Jennifer said recently that should she be offered a damehood she would accept. Some entertains don’t get the gong until they are very old, like Bruce Forsyth and Patricia Routledge. Elaine will be made a dame for sure.

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2024 6:38 PM

Jennifer Sanders is far more conservative than one would think. She's vocally in favor of fox hunting and comes from a posh background.

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2024 7:16 PM

She was fantastic in Sunset Boulevard in NY. She nailed the high notes, full throttle, no trepidation.

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2024 7:52 PM

Glammed down and almost unrecognizable in "Marple: A Murder is Announced."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2024 8:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!