Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did we lose a DLer in the last hurricane?

Reading through his obituary, my eye caught the sentence that the victim loved Barbra Streisand and Elizabeth Taylor, knew every bit of wisdom and lore about the Royal Family, and enjoyed watching politics on TV as "theater". Some telling breadcrumbs there. Very tragic end - death by tree falling on one's house in a hurricane. What a sad ending for a possible "friend of Dorothy". What sayeth the readers of DL?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 18, 2024 1:59 AM

Quote[Charles had absolutely no interest in professional or amateur sports. None.]

Haha that's a great line

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2024 9:30 AM

Fuck that quoting rule.

Anyway, he looks much younger than 59 in that pic. If I die suddenly I'd like my family to use an older photo, claiming it's very recent.

At least he had a dramatic exit. RIP X

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2024 9:32 AM

[Quote]I knew Charles from Lowes and Pavillon. I always looked forward to "bumping into him!"

Code for sex in the toilets.

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2024 9:34 AM

[quote] Charles was intensely private, often knowing more about you than you might know about him

Sounds like my kinda guy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2024 9:40 AM

[quote] Charles was a fabulous cook and baker, always experimenting with new recipes. Many of us were lucky to have some of the fantastic fare that Charles would just "whip up."

Greg?!?

He sounds like a lovely man who would have fit right in here, in any case. Great obit. RIP

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2024 9:41 AM

I thought you were exaggerating OP, great obituary. There is no way he didn’t discover DL over the years as a Liz and Babs fan.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2024 9:56 AM

In addition to R1, tell us that someone is gay without telling us that they’re gay:

[quote] Charles cherished old family photos, furniture and anything silver.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2024 11:29 AM

I've never seen an obituary that is so gay without actually every using the word. Love it.

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2024 11:39 AM

"He is also survived by his dearest and closest friend and confidant, Andrew Piloto of Escondido, CA."

"Charles will be profoundly missed by his loving family and all of the people he touched over the years, especially his dear friends at Pavillion, Lowe's Home Improvement and South Carolina Addiction Treatment." no mention of whether he worked at the treatment place or just wound up there often.

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2024 11:46 AM

Truly the only thing missing from the obit is "He'd had sufficient."

Honestly, I'm saddened by this DLer's senseless death. I'd lay odds that the obit was written by "his dearest and closest friend and confidant, Andrew Piloto of Escondido, CA." Andrew, if you're here please say hello and have our sympathies.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2024 11:48 AM

Probably drowned while trying to rescue his Madam Alexander doll collection, while wearing a caftan.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2024 11:51 AM

He sounded like an absolutely delightful man. RIP

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2024 12:05 PM

Very sad that he wasn't safe in his own home.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2024 12:26 PM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2024 12:29 PM

He was loved. And his obituary makes it clear why.

He must have been beautiful inside and out.

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2024 12:30 PM

How sad that he never escaped SC.

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2024 12:31 PM

Aw. RIP Charles. He sounds like a legend.

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2024 12:40 PM

He is definitely gay. I used to run into him all the time at JRs about 25-30 years ago. Haven’t seen him in many years. I knew little about his background or have forgotten him ever telling me. Very sad to see this morning. He had a very pleasant personality as I remember.

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2024 12:41 PM

R16 - he only moved to SC in 2011. He lived in Escondido, CA before that - an inland northern suburb of San Diego which I would describe as hot, boring and charmless. SC was an upgrade from Esco.

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2024 12:43 PM

Read the memory notes left on the obituary website. He was quite loved and admired. He was an addiction counselor who moonlighted at Lowe’s. The notes left do flesh out the main obituary quite nicely. A mensch.

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2024 12:44 PM

May he rest in peace! What a delightful man I wish I had the pleasure to have known.

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2024 1:05 PM

At least you could go to San Diego or the beach from Escondido. Greenville SC just seems like an inland hellhole with surprisingly bad traffic.

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2024 1:28 PM

He sounds like someone who would be fun in small doses.

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2024 1:28 PM

Sounds like a sweetheart and a DLer in spirit. What a freak way to go, a large tree crushing you in your own home.

by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2024 1:36 PM

I truly felt like, after seeing his mother's name as MARY that when I saw his aunt was named HELEN that it would be followed by Lawson. Great obituary, sounds like a good guy and a loss.

by Anonymousreply 25October 17, 2024 1:39 PM

I hope Liz was waiting for him at the gates with a cocktail and some stories.

by Anonymousreply 26October 17, 2024 1:49 PM

Do we know his favorite brand of mayonnaise? I’m thinking he prefered Kewpie, just to be a bit edgy.

by Anonymousreply 27October 17, 2024 8:33 PM

Were his nieces ungrateful?

by Anonymousreply 28October 17, 2024 9:01 PM

[quote] Charles had absolutely no interest in professional or amateur sports. None.

Oh, no...he was our Charles.

RIP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 17, 2024 9:16 PM

He was better than Greenville, fur sure.

by Anonymousreply 30October 17, 2024 9:19 PM

Sorry— wiki link is unstable

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 17, 2024 9:25 PM

[quote] Omg how will I eat lunch at 12pm on the dot shady lady I'm ready. The fact that he made me eat that nasty cheese lol.... he knew I hated it Man we just laughed on the phone days before if I knew that was the last time I heard you call me shady I would have talked longer I'm gone miss you so bad Yolanda

by Anonymousreply 32October 17, 2024 9:30 PM

☝🏼😎

by Anonymousreply 33October 17, 2024 9:31 PM

He had a pet giraffe? I wonder what's it's name was?

by Anonymousreply 34October 17, 2024 9:36 PM

Seems kinda nice for a DLer.

by Anonymousreply 35October 17, 2024 9:44 PM

Sign in

Search the web

Top Stories Who is Yahya Sinwar? Earth's water system '60 Minutes' complaint Ex-military, extremist crimes King tides are coming Great white shark ashore Sinaloa cartel heartland Pizzeria employees fight back Dog rescued, owner charged Tom Watson Associated Press Family plans to honor hurricane victim using logs from fallen tree that killed him OLGA R. RODRIGUEZ Fri, October 4, 2024 at 6:23 PM EDT 3 min read

This undated family photo shows Charles Dean feeding a giraffe in Africa. (Courtesy Dean family via AP) ASSOCIATED PRESS

This undated image provided by the Dean family, shows Charles Dean, who was killed after

Charles Dean loved living in his South Carolina neighborhood, with its manicured lawns and towering trees. It reminded him of his childhood growing up in a family that has run a lumber business since the early 1900s.

It was one of those giant trees that ended up killing him when Hurricane Helene whipped through Greenville last week and uprooted a red oak that crashed into his apartment.

But rather than discarding the tree, his relatives plan to use some of its wood to craft a beautiful bench, table, or other pieces of furniture and donate them to one of the drug recovery centers where Charles touched many lives, brother Matthew Dean said.

“Charles helped a lot of people who were alcoholics and drug addicts, and if there is something we can get out of this, is that there’s always hope. There is always hope,” he said.

Days of rain saturated the ground, and as the storm reached the Southeast it whipped up strong winds that uprooted trees and utility poles throughout the region.

Dean is among the more than 200 people confirmed dead in one of the deadliest storms in U.S. history. Many died crushed by trees that fell on homes or cars. The dead in South Carolina include grandparents found hugging one another after a fallen tree killed them in their home and two firefighters who died when a tree fell on their truck.

As the storm approached on Sept. 27, Charles Dean texted his family to say he could hear trees coming down outside as Helene battered the town.

“In the middle of it now, scary,” he texted his brother Matthew and his sister-in-law, who were checking on him from 300 miles (480 kilometers) away in North Carolina.

“It’s like mom and dad’s old neighborhood trees, all old-growth trees, and they’re going down, frightening,” he added.

A short time later, the red oak, about 70 feet (21 meters) tall and 3 feet (1 meter) in diameter, crashed into the second-story apartment, killing him.

“We told him we loved him, and he said that he loved us, and that was the last message we had with him,” Matthew Dean said.

The oldest of five brothers, Charles Dean, 59, loved to travel and visited much of Europe. One of his favorite trips was a safari in Africa, but Spain was among the countries he loved the most.

by Anonymousreply 36October 17, 2024 9:46 PM

The "tribute wall" from friends was really lovely. RIP Charles.

by Anonymousreply 37October 17, 2024 9:52 PM

R34 be nice. As written, he made a lifetime best of life visit to Africa.

by Anonymousreply 38October 17, 2024 9:55 PM

Lumber heir dies by tree.

by Anonymousreply 39October 17, 2024 9:56 PM

Oh god this wasn’t Charlie was it!?

by Anonymousreply 40October 17, 2024 10:19 PM

No, R40, this guy is young by comparison.

by Anonymousreply 41October 17, 2024 11:19 PM

I Hope it was ‘’Oh Dear’’ The witch is dead.

by Anonymousreply 42October 18, 2024 1:01 AM

No, R40, Charlie is older than that.

If this guy wasn't a literal DLer, he was one of us in spirit.

May he RIP.

by Anonymousreply 43October 18, 2024 1:15 AM

Let’s do a quick roll call: Present.

Seriously, RIP. He sounds lovely and like he will be missed.

by Anonymousreply 44October 18, 2024 1:29 AM

"Charles had absolutely no interest in professional or amateur sports. None."

OK now this just sounds like deliberate outing. May as well say "Charles loved the taste of another mans semen".

by Anonymousreply 45October 18, 2024 1:35 AM

I’m still here.

by Anonymousreply 46October 18, 2024 1:40 AM

[quote]He could tell you all about the British royal family, and everything about the royal jewels.

Oh no, was he the Tiara Troll?

by Anonymousreply 47October 18, 2024 1:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!