Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Six-Figure salary META employees fired for abusing company meal voucher benefit

Mark Zuckerberg’s Meta has sacked a number of staff after they abused the company’s $25 (£19) meal scheme to order household goods such as toothpaste and washing powder.

Almost 30 staff in the company’s Los Angeles office were dismissed after they were found to be routinely using takeaway credits to order groceries and cosmetics, employees said.

The sackings included high-paid engineers earning six-figure salaries, according to posts on the anonymous chat app Blind.

Meta, which is currently worth $1.5 trillion, provides staff with free breakfast, lunch and dinner at its larger offices.

Those in smaller offices without staff canteens instead receive vouchers for delivery apps such as Grubhub, which they can use to order food when working at the office.

However, Meta recently discovered that some employees were using the $25 vouchers to order household items from stores that feature on the apps.

In some cases, staff were using the scheme to buy wine glasses and laundry detergent, according to the Financial Times.

Meta and other Silicon Valley companies have long offered free food in their offices, which are seen as an incentive to come into the office instead of working from home, or in the case of breakfast and dinner, to encourage longer working hours.

Staff initially received warnings about abusing the meal voucher scheme but those who continued to do so were sacked last week.

The news came as Meta also laid off a larger number of staff across WhatsApp, Instagram and its virtual reality unit on Wednesday.

The company said it was restructuring certain departments, and moving some staff to other areas.

The redundancies are not believed to be as widespread as the mass layoffs in 2022 and 2023, when Meta cut tens of thousands of staff in what Mr Zuckerberg called a driver for “efficiency”.

A Meta spokesman said: “Today, a few teams at Meta are making changes to ensure resources are aligned with their long-term strategic goals and location strategy.

“This includes moving some teams to different locations, and moving some employees to different roles. In situations like this when a role is eliminated, we work hard to find other opportunities for impacted employees.”

Meta has cut down on perks introduced to encourage staff into the office in recent years, scrapping “to-go” boxes that allowed employees to take food home, as well as benefits such as laundry services.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2024 2:07 AM

Good!

These people were making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, and then abusing a free meal benefit given to them by the company.

And they were warned about it too.

That's just fucking GREEDY.

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2024 8:02 PM

They were warned to cut the crap and did not. The height of arrogance or navel-gazing. Deserved to be fired.

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2024 8:03 PM

Mmmmmm... cake!

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2024 8:06 PM

[quote]Staff initially received warnings about abusing the meal voucher scheme but those who continued to do so were sacked last week.

Was it really worth it?

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2024 8:11 PM

After the warning, either the height of arrogance or they wanted to be fired.

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2024 8:13 PM

I think toothpaste is part of eating and detergent is important if you dirty your outfit from all those meals. And wine glasses are part of meals if you drink your dinner.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2024 8:14 PM

If they were such cheapskates, after the warning they could have ordered food they could take home. In big META offices you can't take food home form cafeterias but in these small offices nobody would care.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2024 8:15 PM

It looks like the ole MZ has had a “glow up”. It’s too boring to look at his face for more than 3 seconds, but in passing, I’m guessing he got a new chin.

And god know what else.

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2024 8:15 PM

What kind of fucking moron would risk a six-figure salary, just to buy some cheap wine glass or laundry detergent?

I swear, these tech "geniuses" are truly the dumbest people ever.

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2024 8:16 PM

THEY'RE BARELY GETTING BY THANKS TO SLEEPY JOE AND KAMILLA'S INFLATION!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2024 8:29 PM

He’s doing a full teen drug dealer violent douchebag makeover, R8. Gold chains, custom t-shirts, unkempt hair.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2024 8:35 PM

[quote] Was it really worth it?

[quote] —Miss Clairol

Yes...it was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2024 9:03 PM

[quote] What kind of fucking moron would risk a six-figure salary, just to buy some cheap wine glass or laundry detergent?

Clearly, they did not value their jobs. Or believed they were not highly compensated enough.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2024 9:05 PM

I could rationalize the laundry detergent, especially since they took away the laundry service previously available. I'm imagining a scenario where I know I will be stuck working late into the night, knowing I had no clean socks or underwear left and no laundry detergent at home.

Anytime a company offers free food as a perk, run like hell. It means you're working 12+ hour days.

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2024 9:10 PM

Not defending the employees, because they were warned. But six figures isn't shit in Menlo Park unless it is close to half a million. Buried in this press release was that Meta laid off a bunch of other employees for other reasons. Framing this small subset of employees as greedy seems like a red herring to distract from Meta's continued woes. Zuckerberg is so vilely ostentatious that I cannot shed any tears for him if a few of his employees wanted to buy toilet paper. Zuck is an undertaxed, accidental billionaire buoyed by fortuity and not by talent. We should all be robbing him blind.

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2024 9:35 PM

I stole from all of the jobs where I was overworked and under appreciated. Fuck them, they were greedy bastards.

Clip a buck here, a buck there. Take a little, leave a little. You have to be strategic in your thievery and not go overboard.

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2024 9:41 PM

Speaking on behalf of the people who thanklessly were put in the middle to supervise people like you, and be put under suspicion, R16, let me just say a hearty “fuck off”….

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2024 9:46 PM

EAT!

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2024 9:52 PM

[quote]r16 I stole from all of the jobs where I was overworked and under appreciated. Fuck them, they were greedy bastards.

My folks didn't raise no stupid kids. You know, I clip a buck here and a buck there. Not enough to notice. Take a little, leave a little. A person who don't look out for himself is too dumb to look out for anybody else.

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2024 12:50 AM

r9 Some people pathologically like to game the system. It's not so much about gain as it is about tricking others so they can snicker about how clever they are.

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2024 2:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!