Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Angel Reese says WNBA salary doesn't even pay rent

WNBA star Angel Reese is one of the league's most popular, visible and also occasionally controversial players, but she says she couldn't make ends meet if her salary from the Chicago Sky was her only income.

In a recent Instagram Live video, Reese acknowledged the hate she receives from some fans not only fuels her performance, but also helps bankroll her lifestyle.

"Hating pays them bills, baby," she said. "I just hope you know the WNBA don’t pay my bills at all. I don’t even think that pays one of my bills. Literally, I’m trying to think of my rent for where I stay at. Let me do the math real quick. I don’t even know my (WNBA) salary. $74,000?"

After a friend off-camera helped confirm her $8000/month rent for her luxury residence was more than her rookie contract pays, Reese exclaimed, "I'm living beyond my means!"

Reese, who led the WNBA in rebounding this season before suffering a season-ending wrist injury, has earned a substantial amount of off-the-court income, dating back to her college days.

As a senior at LSU, Reese signed a major endorsement deal with Reebok, one of roughly 20 agreements with companies such as PlayStation, Raising Canes, McDonald's, Coach, Wingstop, Outback Steakhouse and Amazon worth an estimated $1.7 million.

"Babe, if y’all thought … That WNBA check don’t pay a thing. Did that even pay my car note?" she said. "I wouldn’t even be able to eat a sandwich with that. I wouldn’t even be able to eat. I wouldn’t be able to live."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2024 1:44 AM

God bless, but what an asshole

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2024 12:00 AM

She is so trifling

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2024 12:04 AM

What a fucking idiot. She’s lucky she can bounce a ball because she doesn’t sound like she has enough brains to fill a spoon.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2024 12:15 AM

Those athletes don't get paid much. I can't really stand this girl's shitty attitude that I've seen before. She's right about this.

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2024 12:20 AM

For $8k/mo she’d be better off buying a condo in (relatively) affordable Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2024 12:20 AM

I hope she's saving her money from those endorsement deals.

It won't last forever.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2024 12:28 AM

I imagine that women's basket isn't anywhere near as popular as men's basket, but $8,000 a month sounds low for a professional athlete who enjoys a semi-international level of fame. I would have thought that the salaries of female basket players would be in the hundreds of thousands. Still, the fact that she claims that she wouldn't even be able to pay for food with a salary that many people who work 16 hours every day wish they could get, is rather disgusting. She comes across as incredibly entitled, unlikeable and out of touch with reality.

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2024 12:34 AM

Sweetie, if the WNBA could charge hundreds of dollars for nosebleed seats and fill arenas, you'd get paid more.

Put another way, you wouldn't come close to making that $74K doing ANYTHING else. You have no other skills.

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2024 12:34 AM

I don't think this will endear her to any black fans.

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2024 12:52 AM

Those WNBA girls don't get paid diddly poo. That's why Brittney Griner was playing in Russia in the offseason, to make the most of her earning years.

Reese gets more attention and therefore more endorsements because she's a "love her or hate her" type. She knows it and plays some part in encouraging it. I won't judge her for that, I like her spunk.

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2024 12:56 AM

If she doesn't want it, can I have it?

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2024 12:58 AM

Typical

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2024 1:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!